Old April 6th 05, 10:07 PM

Default Need a Ground Plane

I want to use a mobile cb antenna on my house. I have mounting
brackets and already have the power converted. I need a way to use my
mobile 3/8 flex antenna outside and have an attiquate ground plane to
keep my swr down. I saw a "tristar" on the internet which said it
acted as a ground plane. I have not gotten an answer yet, but
hopefully I will. I do not want to buy an no ground plane antenna
because I will eventually move my old antenna to my truck when I get
one. What can I use as a ground plane, and spending minimal amount of
money.

Thanks in advance

Greg

Old April 6th 05, 11:48 PM

I was going to make it kind of mobile. If I want to use the cb, I
would want to set it on the roof. I have no metal around my house
except the garage door.

Old April 7th 05, 01:43 AM
Vinnie S.

On 6 Apr 2005 14:07:26 -0700, wrote:

I want to use a mobile cb antenna on my house. I have mounting
brackets and already have the power converted. I need a way to use my
mobile 3/8 flex antenna outside and have an attiquate ground plane to
keep my swr down. I saw a "tristar" on the internet which said it
acted as a ground plane. I have not gotten an answer yet, but
hopefully I will. I do not want to buy an no ground plane antenna
because I will eventually move my old antenna to my truck when I get
one. What can I use as a ground plane, and spending minimal amount of
money.

Thanks in advance

Greg,

Let me answer you because someone will most likely start mocking you at some
point. I just stuck a 6 foot Firestik in the attic. This information comes from
advice I got here. Most of the people here agree on 9 foot wire or tube. Wire is
cheaper, tube is easier. Use a minimum of 3 radials, preferably 4. I might have
pictures if you want them (I have to look). The only problem with wire is it is
not rigid, and you have to tie it down. If you have some old copper tubing, or
such that would work. But don't buy it, it's expensive. I guess some Romex wire
would be rigid enough.

This setup worked well for me for some DX. I hit Mexico, Alabama, on it. Didn't
work great for locals. I am in the country. If you are in the city, or suburbs,
you might do better for locals. So because of that, I am getting ready to
install an Imax.

Vinnie S.
Old April 7th 05, 02:30 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 20:43:58 -0400, Vinnie S.
wrote in :

On 6 Apr 2005 14:07:26 -0700, wrote:

I want to use a mobile cb antenna on my house. I have mounting
brackets and already have the power converted. I need a way to use my
mobile 3/8 flex antenna outside and have an attiquate ground plane to
keep my swr down. I saw a "tristar" on the internet which said it
acted as a ground plane. I have not gotten an answer yet, but
hopefully I will. I do not want to buy an no ground plane antenna
because I will eventually move my old antenna to my truck when I get
one. What can I use as a ground plane, and spending minimal amount of
money.

Thanks in advance

Greg,

Let me answer you because someone will most likely start mocking you at some
point. I just stuck a 6 foot Firestik in the attic. This information comes from
advice I got here.

From me.

Most of the people here agree on 9 foot wire or tube.

That will make a 'resonant' groundplane, better known as a
'counterpoise'. You can make a 'non-resonant' groundplane that will
work even better by making the wires as long as possible. And they do
not need to be the same length -- in fact, it's better if they aren't.

Wire is
cheaper, tube is easier. Use a minimum of 3 radials, preferably 4.

More is better.

I might have
pictures if you want them (I have to look). The only problem with wire is it is
not rigid, and you have to tie it down. If you have some old copper tubing, or
such that would work. But don't buy it, it's expensive. I guess some Romex wire
would be rigid enough.

The groundplane radials do not need to be rigid. In fact, they don't
even need to be straight.

This setup worked well for me for some DX. I hit Mexico, Alabama, on it. Didn't
work great for locals. I am in the country. If you are in the city, or suburbs,
you might do better for locals.

Vinnie, you local performance is poor because your take-off angle is
high. Your take-off angle is high because you didn't follow my
instructions to make the radials as long as possible.

So because of that, I am getting ready to
install an Imax.

Greg, here's the link I provided when Vinnie asked his groundplane
question:

http://www.bencher.com/pdf_download.html

Scroll down to "Tech Notes" at the bottom. Those five files have just
about everything you want to know about groundplanes.

Old April 8th 05, 08:29 AM
Chris

How about aluminum ground wire for radials?

Chris

Old April 8th 05, 01:46 PM
Vinnie S.

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 07:29:15 GMT, "Chris"
wrote:

How about aluminum ground wire for radials?

Chris

Will work fine.

Vinnie S.