Old April 17th 05, 02:45 PM
Mail Hauler

Default Need some radio advice.

I'm working in a slip-seat operation. My big ole Galaxy radio is just to
big to lug around and the anteanna is a pain in the butt to set up each run.
I'm looking to buy a very compact cb that isn't finicky about the pre
installed cb anteannas and wiring found in most Freightliners. I need the
radio to be compact so that I can just throw it in my bag and go. I've been
looking at a Uniden ProXL 520 and at the Cobra 25 series. Any suggestions
on which of these radios is the better of the two? Which one can be modded
for a little better performance, etc? Any other suggestions on a good
workhorse cb in a compact package?

TIA

Old April 21st 05, 03:03 AM
Mail Hauler

"Mail Hauler" wrote in message
I'm working in a slip-seat operation. My big ole Galaxy radio is just to
big to lug around and the anteanna is a pain in the butt to set up each

run.
I'm looking to buy a very compact cb that isn't finicky about the pre
installed cb anteannas and wiring found in most Freightliners. I need the
radio to be compact so that I can just throw it in my bag and go. I've

been
looking at a Uniden ProXL 520 and at the Cobra 25 series. Any suggestions
on which of these radios is the better of the two? Which one can be

modded
for a little better performance, etc? Any other suggestions on a good
workhorse cb in a compact package?

TIA

Thanks for all the advice... I guess this newsgroup is just a bunch of
assholes accusing each other of being faggots!

Old April 21st 05, 12:38 PM
Frank Gilliland

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 20:03:13 -0600, "Mail Hauler"
wrote in :

[...]

No need to get ****y (.....and people complain about -my- attitude!).

My personal favorite is the Colt 357A, but 4 watts is 4 watts. Most
CBers don't have Hi-Fi receivers so any difference in audio quality
between stock radios isn't going to be noticed. Instead, get a GOOD
mic and a GOOD external speaker. This will make more of a difference
than anything, including modulation and/or power tweaks.

Speaking of tweaks, in order to double the range you need to quadruple
your power; i.e, 16 watts to just double the range. So tweaking the
radio for a couple extra watts won't make any measurable improvement,
and half of that extra power will most likely be lost as harmonics
that end up in someone's TV. Also, most CB "techs" are hacks that only
recently learned how to plug in a soldering gun and use instructions
found on the internet. They may claim to have X years of experience,
but since the modifications are illegal you shouldn't expect much
truth in their advertising, nor should you expect to get you money
back if they ruin your radio.

Summarized: Flip a coin, leave it stock, then buy a good mic and
speaker instead of a tweak-job.

Old April 21st 05, 06:13 PM
Mail Hauler

wrote in :

No need to get ****y (.....and people complain about -my- attitude!).

Well, it took getting "****y" just to get a response! Thanks for the info
Frank.

Old April 21st 05, 07:51 PM
Frank Gilliland

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:13:09 -0600, "Mail Hauler"
wrote in :

.. .
wrote in :

No need to get ****y (.....and people complain about -my- attitude!).

Well, it took getting "****y" just to get a response!

No, it didn't. It just took time. Trolls aside, most people have a
life outside the newsgroup. And remember that nobody here is under any
obligation to give you advice, let alone jump at your command. If you
don't get a response the first time you might try to exercise a little
patience and ask again later instead of copping an attitude.

Old April 21st 05, 08:45 PM
Lancer

wrote in :

. ..
wrote in :

No need to get ****y (.....and people complain about -my- attitude!).

Well, it took getting "****y" just to get a response!

No, it didn't. It just took time. Trolls aside, most people have a
life outside the newsgroup. And remember that nobody here is under any
obligation to give you advice, let alone jump at your command. If you
don't get a response the first time you might try to exercise a little
patience and ask again later instead of copping an attitude.

He just might have had a few more responses if he hadn't gotten
****y...

Well put Frank...
Old April 21st 05, 07:06 PM

[...]

100% of the problem is and his sock puppets.