Old April 26th 05, 10:12 PM
John Smith

Default K9 email filter

K9 email filter is free. It is an excellent way to deal with spam. And, it
supports perl regular expressions. Set up correctly it can deal with 100%
of spam--silently deleting it without a bother...
Without it, you cannot use usenet, with a valid email address, without being
spammed to death--with it, you don't know the spammers exist...
http://keir.net/k9.html

Regards,
John

Old April 27th 05, 04:40 AM
Jeff Mayner

John Smith wrote:
K9 email filter is free. It is an excellent way to deal with spam. And,
it supports perl regular expressions. Set up correctly it can
deal with 100% of spam--silently deleting it without a bother...
Without it, you cannot use usenet, with a valid email address,
without being spammed to death--with it, you don't know the spammers
exist... http://keir.net/k9.html

Regards,
John

I'm gonna check it out. If it blows up my system I'm gonna get really angry.

Jeff

Old April 27th 05, 05:05 AM
John Smith

Naaa, just follow the setup instructions... if you take the time to learn it
and set it up--you'll love it...

Regards,
John

Old April 27th 05, 07:40 PM
Jeff Mayner

John Smith wrote:
Naaa, just follow the setup instructions... if you take the time to
learn it and set it up--you'll love it...

It's doing well so far. Of course I was being facetious with my earlier
comment. I grabbed a couple of other little programs off the site to mess
around with as well.

Good post.

Jeff

Regards,
John

Old April 27th 05, 08:05 PM
John Smith

Yes, K9 is the best solution to my personal spam problems, which I have
found. I was sure it would benefit others.
It really becomes powerful if you drop the pcre.dll into the k9
directory--then it can do perl regular expressions through the white and
black list.... Then filtering for words like "v.i.a.g.r.a", v_i_@_g_r_@, "P
e n | s", etc... becomes easy and VERY effective! There is even a test
option in the K9 app where you can test your reg expression before
implementing it...

Regards,
John

Old April 28th 05, 07:12 PM
K7MEM

John Smith wrote:
Yes, K9 is the best solution to my personal spam problems, which I have
found. I was sure it would benefit others.
It really becomes powerful if you drop the pcre.dll into the k9
directory--then it can do perl regular expressions through the white and
black list.... Then filtering for words like "v.i.a.g.r.a", v_i_@_g_r_@, "P
e n | s", etc... becomes easy and VERY effective! There is even a test
option in the K9 app where you can test your reg expression before
implementing it...

Regards,
John

This is just my $0.02, but you might also want to consider using
Netscape as your mail client.

Netscape 7.2 comes with the spam filter already installed. It sounds
very similar to the K9 filter, is incredibly easy to use, and is
very effective. When you start, you just mark anything that you
consider span with a single mouse click. Over time, Netscape uses
the information in the marked messages to create a very effective
filter. You still have the option of creating your own filters to
steer messages into special folders.

One or two pieces of spam will get by, from time to time, but a
click of the mouse and you never see it again. The filtering of
those special words, like you listed, is automatic. No need to
deal with, ugh, regular expressions.

There is a Beta version of Netscape 8.0 out right now, but I will
wait a little longer. For users of Internet Explorer, Netscape offers
a free popup blocker. It installs in minutes and is also very
effective. A popup blocker is standard with Netscape 7.2.

--
Martin E. Meserve - K7MEM
http://www.k7mem.com
Old April 28th 05, 07:36 PM
John Smith

Yes, there are other filters and methods. However, if a person is
knowledgeable in the use of regular expressions, there is just no comparison
to the power of K9 with Netscapes basic capabilities... regular expressions
are just not that difficult to pick up... K9 has other capabilities beyond
the basic supplied by Netscape also...

Regards,
John