Old May 5th 05, 04:56 AM

Default Attic antenna not doing much

So I bought a magmount CB antenna from Radio Schmack and just stuck it
in my front room for testing purposes, connected to a Midland 77-104 .
Using a borrowed handheld CB, range was barely half a mile (I live in a
city), but that could have just been the handheld.

I have the magmount up in the attic on a cookie sheet now. I don't have
the handheld anymore for testing purposes, but I have heard nothing on
channel 9 or 19 for several days, even after soliciting contacts a few
times. I've got someone with a CB about 6 miles away and I have a
freeway (i.e., truckers) also about 6 miles away... still can't make
contact with anyone.

Is 6 miles out of reach for an attic magmount? Do I need a better
ground plane or should I just give it up as a lost cause?

Old May 6th 05, 07:59 PM

No do not hang it horizontally as everybody else is vertical. Just add
5 or 6 9 foot wires to your cookie sheet and you should be fine.

Old May 7th 05, 11:24 PM
Professor

Cookie sheet... LOL.... what is your match???
I'm afraid that may not be a big enough ground plane. If you want a
better ground plane you need to run some radials (maybe four or more)
that have perhaps a quarter wavelength length. You could use aluminum
grounding wire which is available from Radio Sack. Keep in mind that
signals in the CB frequencies have poor penetrating power through solid
objects... like your roof. You'd do much better to move whatever
installation you choose outside.

Professor
www.telstar-electronics.com