Old May 28th 05, 07:48 AM
ALEXB

Default FCC license

I've been granted an FCC license for a GMRS radio (ZA category), which I use
in my business, and found on their website that my call sign is... WQCTxxx.
It is a seven character combination or capital letters and digits.

What does it mean and how can I use it? My "radio" is a small handheld
walkie-talkie with 4W max power output. Where is the call number in there?
Shall I use it when I talk to my counterpart: "Hello, this is WQCTxxx,
please, report to me?" Is it all to it? Like a caller ID only in the air?

Is there a set of rules describing the proper use of it?

Thanks

Old May 28th 05, 09:30 AM
Leland C. Scott

On Sat, 28 May 2005 02:48:16 -0400, ALEXB wrote:

I've been granted an FCC license for a GMRS radio (ZA category), which I use
in my business, and found on their website that my call sign is... WQCTxxx.
It is a seven character combination or capital letters and digits.

What does it mean and how can I use it? My "radio" is a small handheld
walkie-talkie with 4W max power output. Where is the call number in there?

It is the 4-letter 3-digit sequence assigned to you by the FCC. This is
listed in the box labeled "Call Sign" on the middle left side of the
"Radio Station Authorization" form you got from the FCC in the mail.

Shall I use it when I talk to my counterpart: "Hello, this is WQCTxxx,
please, report to me?" Is it all to it? Like a caller ID only in the air?

95.119 Station identification.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (e), every GMRS station must transmit a
station identification:

(1) Following the transmission of communications or a series of
communications; and

(2) Every 15 minutes during a long transmission.

(b) The station identification is the call sign assigned to the GMRS station
or system.

(c) A unit number may be included after the call sign in the
identification.

(d) The station identification must be transmitted in:

(1) Voice in the English language; or

(2) International Morse code telegraphy.

(e) A station need not identify its transmissions if it automatically
retransmits communications from another station which are properly
identified.

Is there a set of rules describing the proper use of it?

Try this URL: http://www.provide.net/~prsg/part95ae.htm

Enjoy the GMRS radio service.

Regards,

Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO
Old May 28th 05, 09:32 AM
General Mobile Radio Service |nformation

"ALEXB" wrote in
:

I've been granted an FCC license for a GMRS radio (ZA category), which
I use in my business, and found on their website that my call sign
is... WQCTxxx. It is a seven character combination or capital letters
and digits.

What does it mean and how can I use it? My "radio" is a small handheld
walkie-talkie with 4W max power output. Where is the call number in
there? Shall I use it when I talk to my counterpart: "Hello, this is
WQCTxxx, please, report to me?" Is it all to it? Like a caller ID only
in the air?

Is there a set of rules describing the proper use of it?

Sorry to tell you.... You wasted your money. GMRS use for businesses are
prohibited. You used to be able to license for a business, but the rules
have subsequently changed. Only those who have a grandfathered license
from back when it was legal can do so.
See regulation below:

95.5 License eligibility.

(a) An individual (one man or one woman) is eligible to obtain, renew
and have modified a GMRS system license if that individual is 18 years
of age or older and is not a representative of a foreign government.

(b) A non-individual (an entity other than an individual) is ineligible
to obtain a new GMRS system license or make a major modification to an
existing GMRS system license.

(c) A GMRS system licensed to a non-individual before July 31, 1987, is
eligible to renew that licenses and all subsequent licenses based upon it
if:

(1) The non-individual is a partnership and each partner is 18 years of
age or older; a corporation; an association; a state, territorial,
or local government unit; or a legal entity;

(2) The non-individual is not a foreign government; a representative of
a foreign government; or a federal government agency; and

(3) The licensee has not been granted a major modification to its GMRS
system.

The GMRS crowd hangs out on another newsgroup, alt.radio.family

FCC regs can be found he http://www.provide.net/~prsg/part95ae.htm
Oficial GMRS FCC website is he http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/per...generalmobile/

--
John L. Wilkerson Jr.

GMRS Consumer information website:
http://www.geocities.com/johnlwilker....net/gmrs.html
Old May 28th 05, 01:03 PM
ALEXB

"General Mobile Radio Service |nformation" wrote in
message ...
"ALEXB" wrote in
:

[...]

Thanks for telling me that but I think I am fine. I am not incorporated. I
have one employee. I applied as an individual. I filled out an application
on their website at www.wireless.fcc.gov/usl/ and I do not remember if they
asked me about my business name. Anyway, I used my office address as I
recall. It is too confusing for me to understand in all its entirety since I
have too many other things to worry about.

Let me ask you another question. For my counterpart to use their GMRS I have
to get a second license (Yes/No)--I guess the answer is yes?

That second license can be had as if it is attached to my existing account
which now has the first license on it that is discussed here (Yes/No)?

I don't really need a crowd to join. You, guys, are giving me almost more
than I need to orient myself to the wireless world

Thanks.

Old May 28th 05, 08:40 PM
General Mobile Radio Service |nformation

"ALEXB" wrote in
:

Thanks for telling me that but I think I am fine. I am not
incorporated. I have one employee. I applied as an individual. I
filled out an application on their website at
www.wireless.fcc.gov/usl/ and I do not remember if they asked me about
my business name. Anyway, I used my office address as I recall. It is
too confusing for me to understand in all its entirety since I have
too many other things to worry about.

Regardless, you still cannot use GMRS to conduct business. GMRS is
strictly for families and non-business groups. Once you ID with your
callsign as required, you open yourself up to being reported.
Nonetheless, I applaud you for getting a license That is great

Let me ask you another question. For my counterpart to use their GMRS
I have to get a second license (Yes/No)--I guess the answer is yes?

Yes. The regs only permit family members to utilize the same
license/callsign.

That second license can be had as if it is attached to my existing
account which now has the first license on it that is discussed here
(Yes/No)?

Nope. The other person must apply on their own name and such. They'll
beed their own FRN and all that.

I don't really need a crowd to join. You, guys, are giving me almost
more than I need to orient myself to the wireless world

Even so, a lot of useful information can be had. You'll also get a great
deal of good advice.

Old May 29th 05, 02:04 AM
ALEXB

[...]

Very interesting.
Thanks. You've saved me lots of time.

Old May 29th 05, 11:33 AM
ALEXB

"General Mobile Radio Service |nformation" wrote in
message ...
"ALEXB" wrote in
:

Thanks for telling me that but I think I am fine. I am not
incorporated. I have one employee. I applied as an individual. I
filled out an application on their website at
www.wireless.fcc.gov/usl/ and I do not remember if they asked me about
my business name. Anyway, I used my office address as I recall. It is
too confusing for me to understand in all its entirety since I have
too many other things to worry about.

Regardless, you still cannot use GMRS to conduct business. GMRS is
strictly for families and non-business groups. Once you ID with your
callsign as required, you open yourself up to being reported.
Nonetheless, I applaud you for getting a license That is great

OK, what is the solution for me that won't run afoul with the law? Would a
CB radio be the one? What type of radios can I use for a two way
communications, conducted occasionally with high degree of reliability on
demand? As I mentioned, The two points are five blocks apart downtown a
Midwestern city with a lot of structures in between. The conversations will
(or rather, may) be done during business hours between 9:00 and 4:00 EST. I
want to make sure that when I turned that radio on: (1) I can contact my
partner immediately (2) in any weather (3) there is minimal interference. As
I mentioned, it is a back up system for me. I am using VoIP phone lines most
of the time but my office on the other end of the communication line has to
have at least one line landbased. In any event, on a few occasions because
of construction nearby the lines have been interrupted recently. I need a
backup to fall onto in case of future problems.

Thanks

Old May 29th 05, 02:45 PM
PowerHouse Communications

"ALEXB" wrote in message

[...]

Personally, I'd recommend the new(er) MURS band. This is license free, and
is definitely capable of going 5 blocks. Of course, blocks are different
lengths in different locations, but either way, I wouldn't think that you
would run into any problems.

MURS consists of 5 frequencies (channels) that were once used for licensed
business communications, but are now available for public (and business)
use, license free. There are three frequencies in the 151.XXX MHz range,
and two in the 154.XXX MHz range. If you were to utilize one of the 151.XXX
MHz freqs., you would minimize your chance of interference, as the most
readily used freqs. were the 154.XXX MHz ones. This band can also utilize
CTCSS tone codes to further minimize interference.

Another plus is that there are LOTS of high quality radios on the used
market that utilize these frequencies because of the fact that they used to
be licensed business band freqs. Do a little internet searching for MURS, I
bet it will fit what you are looking for, and be a LOT cheaper to boot if
you go with used equipment...

Old May 29th 05, 02:44 PM
[...]

See the forum on GMRS..... It is entirely possible I was wrong before....
your assessment of the regs may have been correct. A business cannot
license itdelf.... BUT if each individual IN the business licenses, THEN
it may be legal. Discussion in the other forum may clear this up..... If
I was wrong... I apologize for the error.

As for VOIP..... That has created extreme controversy in the GMRS
community. We are waiting for an FCC ruling on theis. It appears it may
be totally illegal, since rules forbid any GMRS traffic being transmitted
over phone lines.

CB is NOT the way to go for business comms. Handheld radios are bulky,
other users are rude.

The license free Family Radio Service (FRS), The Multi Use Radio Service
(MURS), or the business radio service can be used. MURS and BRS both
have expensive equipment costs. FRS is similar to GMRS, except you can
only use handhelds with a 500 mW power limit.

Regardless.... since you are now on GMRS Web, you can get your questions
answered with zero margin for error.
Old May 29th 05, 10:15 PM
John Smith

Yes, grab a cb and a BIG "Leen-e-air" (you'll be stuck with a 5-watt walkie talkie if on foot frown) and join the rest of them!!!! Go freeband (just above cb freqs, or just below if you need less populated chans--couse, you will find a lot of mexicans on these freqs.)

Really too bad you are not a ham--then you could use your 10 meter equip (like a notable number of hams do) on 11 meters--those multi-kilowatt "leen-e-airs" some of the hams bootleg with are the real key!!!

Warmest regards,
John
"ALEXB" wrote in message ...

[...]

ARRL Propose New License Class & Code-Free HF Access Lloyd Mitchell Antenna 43 October 26th 04 01:37 AM
Response to "21st Century" Part Two (Communicator License) N2EY Policy 0 November 30th 03 01:28 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
Hey CBers Help Get rid of Morse Code Test and Requirement Scott Unit 69 Policy 9 August 1st 03 02:08 AM
Hey CBers Help Get rid of Morse Code Test and Requirement ROLDAIGNAULT CB 22 July 31st 03 12:54 AM