Old June 5th 05, 09:37 AM
Rocky Roads

Default will 6 meters be the next freeband what is your input

what do all thank

Old June 5th 05, 07:14 PM
mopathetic didn't camp at Dayton! CHICKEN BOY!

We think that twitlips and mopathetic are having phone sex and coming
up with another stupid post as a result.

Rocky Roads wrote:
what do all thank

Old June 5th 05, 07:57 PM
John Smith

Naaa, freebanders are usually from ~7Mhz on up to 30Mhz...

John

"Rocky Roads" wrote in message
what do all thank

Old June 5th 05, 08:25 PM
Vinnie S.

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 03:37:56 -0500, (Rocky Roads) wrote:

what do all thank

I thank you !!

Vinnie S.
Old June 5th 05, 10:10 PM
Jay in the Mojave

Hello Rocky:

With the FCC going to take the morse code testing requirement out of the
amateur radio tests for the HF privileges, I kind of dough it.

Its possible that the new amateur radio license without the code, for HF
privileges may even kill the freeband and a lot of skip shooting on 11.

6 is to erratic, and ifey, you will need a much solider band.

However 6 is a blast, I get a kick out my Interceptor 10K cut for 50.125
Mc. It really works well. I got a local also on 6 with a 5 element beam
and of course a lossy Gamma Match, that slows that beam way down big
time. I am usually just a needle's with stronger than the guy with the
beam. He maybe also have something wrong other than just a Gamma
Match?!?!?!? I think he's gonna buy a big amp hehehhehehe.

Maybe with a left over Moonraker 6 boom, that 32 feet long I can make a
killer 6 meter beam that kicks some major a$$, oh yeah!

Jay in the Mojave

Rocky Roads wrote:

what do all thank

Old June 5th 05, 11:07 PM
J'in Fer Good Buddy

j'ain't gonna happen..... thats a ham band... they will nail j'ass to
the wall.

Old June 5th 05, 11:42 PM
John Smith

As with any pirate operation, a person is a fool to run big power and
operate from one location... mobile operation is quite different...
however, one should always obey the law...
.... there was one guy here who had a mobile jammer, would circle the
city all day/night long--hams attempting to triangulate was the mode of
the day... he played rap music, about drove us all nuts... when he
would fire up on friday and sat I would just abandon the band... last I
heard, his buddies loose lips almost got him busted and although no one
was ever able to pin anything on him, the jamming stopped when a
particular guy started being watched... but then, perhaps the real guy
was just smart enough to quit when there was a fall guy all lined up...
who knows...

John
oups.com...

Old June 7th 05, 12:47 AM
Jim Hampton

Hello, John

6 meters is an interesting band, however it has never had the popularity of
other bands from 80 to 2 meters. If you are in a fringe zone for channel 2
television, you will find out why.

Forget the hams; when you get a number of channel two television watchers
complaining to the FCC as well as to the channel, you will find out exactly
why it has never been as popular as other bands (best include 440 as well).

Not even the properly licensed hams have been able to deal with that with a
lot of success (a few, yes, but ....).

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim

Old June 7th 05, 02:03 AM
james

Actually the 6 meter amamture band was carved out of the TV band. It
used to be channel 1. Back when TVs had an IF of 21 MHz. When TVs
moved up to 45Mhz IF, channel 1 became a nigh tmare for the receiver
local oscillator. So the 6 meter amature band was created.

Y es living in areas where there is a channel 2 station is problems.
Generally precludes that you keep power levels under 50 watts.
Sometimes under 20 watts. Does play havoc for local ragches, but even
20 watts on 6 when it opens is more than enough on 80% of the time. I
have made transmissions from Ft Lauderdale to New Orleans with 3 watts
and a 60 inch whip antenna. I have even been heard in a DX contest
with that same setup.

Yep 6 meters is what the CB band was about 40 yrs ago. Nice and quite.
30 watts and you were a loud station.

james

Old June 7th 05, 02:21 PM
Dave Hall

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 01:03:47 GMT, james wrote:

Actually the 6 meter amamture band was carved out of the TV band. It
used to be channel 1. Back when TVs had an IF of 21 MHz. When TVs
moved up to 45Mhz IF, channel 1 became a nigh tmare for the receiver
local oscillator. So the 6 meter amature band was created.

Yep, that's what it was all about. Good thing they moved the TV I.F.
from 21 Mhz, or transmitting on the 15 meter band would be a problem

I had an old TV that had channel 1. It had to be a 1950's vintage.
Long before UHF tuners were required.

Yes living in areas where there is a channel 2 station is problems.
Generally precludes that you keep power levels under 50 watts.
Sometimes under 20 watts. Does play havoc for local ragches, but even
20 watts on 6 when it opens is more than enough on 80% of the time. I
have made transmissions from Ft Lauderdale to New Orleans with 3 watts
and a 60 inch whip antenna. I have even been heard in a DX contest
with that same setup.

Yep 6 meters is what the CB band was about 40 yrs ago. Nice and quite.
30 watts and you were a loud station.

6 meters has seen a bit of a revival of sorts. Thanks to cable and
satellite TV, TVI isn't near what it was before. Coupled with modern
radio designs which do a far better job at spurious output
suppression, RFI issues on 6 are a small percentage of what they once
were. I use 6 every day. A friend of mine has a repeater there, and I
run it when I commute. There's also some interesting DX that pops up,
especially at this time of year.

Dave
"Sandbagger"
http://home.ptd.net/~n3cvj