Old June 18th 05, 01:13 AM
Jay in the Mojave

Hello Stevo:

Ok yeah it can handle a bunch of them all righty.

Its good for 10KW RMS. Put the I-25K Bracket and LC Connector to hanle
even more power. Hammer down dude!

Jay

Steveo wrote:
Steveo wrote:

Vinnie S. wrote:

The Imax is kicking butt. I made my first Ham contact on 10 meters in
Texas. When I told him he was my first ham contact, he got more excited
than I got. I figured after coax losses, I am probably only getting out
15-20 watts on SSB. I am only getting out 6 watts on AM.

As far as CB and locals, they couldn't believe it was me because they
barely heard me with the Firestik in the attic. This Imax seems to
excel on receive. It is super quiet with no static.

Vinnie S.

Sounds like it's time for a 30L1 or similar. Hows the tvi/rf looking?

Hey Jay, reckon his antenna can handle a 30L1?

Old June 18th 05, 11:14 AM
Steveo

Vinnie S. wrote:
On 17 Jun 2005 05:00:51 GMT, Steveo wrote:

Steveo wrote:
Vinnie S. wrote:
The Imax is kicking butt. I made my first Ham contact on 10 meters
in Texas. When I told him he was my first ham contact, he got more
excited than I got. I figured after coax losses, I am probably only
getting out 15-20 watts on SSB. I am only getting out 6 watts on AM.

As far as CB and locals, they couldn't believe it was me because
they barely heard me with the Firestik in the attic. This Imax seems
to excel on receive. It is super quiet with no static.

Vinnie S.

Sounds like it's time for a 30L1 or similar. Hows the tvi/rf looking?

Hey Jay, reckon his antenna can handle a 30L1?

I am not so sure. Is that 1,000 watts? Won't the antenna melt?

Vinnie S.

I'm not sure what the Imax is rated at, it should handle it.
Old June 18th 05, 11:16 AM
Steveo

Jay in the Mojave wrote:
Hello Stevo:

Ok yeah it can handle a bunch of them all righty.

Its good for 10KW RMS. Put the I-25K Bracket and LC Connector to hanle
even more power. Hammer down dude!

Jay

Hi Jay, I was speaking of Vinnie's Imax. I don't know what they are rated
for.

I already know your antenna can handle it and more!

Old June 21st 05, 03:10 PM
Vinnie S.

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 23:55:39 GMT, "Jim Hampton" wrote:

I am not so sure. Is that 1,000 watts? Won't the antenna melt?

Vinnie S.

Hello, Vinnie

I'm not sure the 30L1 would do 1,000 watts. We used a KWM-2 and a 30L1 in
the #2 position at the KG6AAY hamshack. The #1 position used a Henry 2K.

The legal limit back then was 1,000 watts dc input to the final (not 1,500
watts pep output like today). My guess is the 30L1 might put out 600 watts
pep. The Henry was capable of considerably more. Exactly what the 30L-1
could do, however, I'm not entirely sure.

I've seen that Henry putting out 1200 watts average on voice peaks on SSB
and even more on cw

Of course, that couldn't touch that RCA monster that was used once. Hooked
to a rhombic 200 feet in the air and 600 feet on a leg, it pumped some
40,000 watts output. It could punch a hole through an almost dead band
(everyone was running S-2 and it was 40 over 9 back in the states from Guam
Island). )

Best regards from Rochester, NY
Jim

I was thinking of getting a amp for 10 meters, but why do that when I am
geeting an HF rig in the fall. Seems I can get out no problem with the little
power I have now. 100 watts from an HF rig should get me around the world.

Vinnie S.
Old June 21st 05, 03:12 PM
Vinnie S.

On 18 Jun 2005 10:16:05 GMT, Steveo wrote:

Jay in the Mojave wrote:
Hello Stevo:

Ok yeah it can handle a bunch of them all righty.

Its good for 10KW RMS. Put the I-25K Bracket and LC Connector to hanle
even more power. Hammer down dude!

Jay

Hi Jay, I was speaking of Vinnie's Imax. I don't know what they are rated
for.

I already know your antenna can handle it and more!

According to the manual, it is tested at 5,000 watts. Sounds rather high.

Vinnie S.

Old June 21st 05, 09:11 PM
H Nelson BIG in TEXAS!!!!

Vinnie i have three I-Max 2000 That the center section cap flashed over
causing very bad TVI SWR ok. I cut them open and that is what i found.
They worked ok with the RCI 2990 But when i used the X Force 612 hd the
center section cap would flash over and carbon track.
I do not know what this cap is for
I asked on this group but couldnot get any help. I run the amp at 500 w
and pep 1000. I have ordered a WOLF point 64 11 M. No coils or caps to
burn out.
When I get time I am going to elimenate the cap and see what happins.

Triple 5
Trip 555
BIG in TEXAS

Old June 21st 05, 11:09 PM
Jim Hampton

wrote:

[...]

Absolutely, Vinnie

You don't need a kilowatt. If conditions are so bad that 100 won't do it,
you won't hear the 100 watt stations calling you back if you run the
killer-watt

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim

Old June 22nd 05, 01:54 AM
james

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 14:11:17 -0600, (H Nelson BIG in
TEXAS!!!!) wrote:

Vinnie i have three I-Max 2000 That the center section cap flashed over
causing very bad TVI SWR ok. I cut them open and that is what i found.
They worked ok with the RCI 2990 But when i used the X Force 612 hd the
center section cap would flash over and carbon track.
I do not know what this cap is for
I asked on this group but couldnot get any help. I run the amp at 500 w
and pep 1000. I have ordered a WOLF point 64 11 M. No coils or caps to
burn out.
When I get time I am going to elimenate the cap and see what happins.

Triple 5
Trip 555
BIG in TEXAS

*******

Inserting reactive components in the antenna has the effect of
lengthening or shortening the electrical length of the antenna. IF the
antenna is physically less than a quarter wave an inductive load is
added anywhere between the feed point and the end of the antenna to
effectively make it a quarter wave antenna electrically. Capacitive
loads do the reverse. They take physically long antenna, a quarter
wave, and shorten them electrically.

All reactive loads alter feed point impedance and the "Q" or bandwidth
of an antenna. If my memory serves me correctly the IMAX is
essentially an end fed 5/8 wave antenna. FOr Solarcon to use the same
feed system that they do on the A99, they must raise the feed
impedance. This can easily be done by inserting a capacitor anywhere
in the antenna. Preferable this should be about a 1/4 from the feed
point. That is where the current in the antenna is at maximum. The
volatge the the cap must withstand is a minimum.

Removing the cap will most likely screw up the matching of the
antenna.

james

Old June 22nd 05, 04:54 AM
Cliff

Triple 5 in TX, give me an email at

Old June 23rd 05, 01:57 AM
Steveo

Jay in the Mojave wrote:
Hello Stevo:

Ok yeah it can handle a bunch of them all righty.

Its good for 10KW RMS. Put the I-25K Bracket and LC Connector to hanle
even more power. Hammer down dude!

Jay

Hi Jay, I was speaking of Vinnie's Imax. I don't know what they are
rated for.

I already know your antenna can handle it and more!

According to the manual, it is tested at 5,000 watts. Sounds rather high.

Vinnie S.

Does it matter that it's in a tree?

Rolling skip Vinnie S. CB 20 March 2nd 05 02:55 AM
How would you improve your CB? [email protected] CB 275 January 20th 05 03:27 PM