Old July 29th 05, 08:48 PM

Default The Colonel, 20ch below 1

Is anyone familiar with a CB-er who used the handle "The Colonel"
during the late 1960's and early 1970's, operating below channel 1
(possibly 20 ch below)on the AM side? He supposedly operated in the
midwest (Chicago area, to western Indiana). I heard him myself, and
would like to compare notes with anyone else who may remember such a
character.

Old July 30th 05, 02:09 PM

Yes, definitely a different person I'm sure. But thanks!

Old August 1st 05, 01:28 AM
Sir_Oblivion

Sounds familiar but can't recall any specifics. Occasionally used to
communicate with several stations in the Chicagoland area late sixties to
mid seventies on my Dad's old Johnson Ranger. I would catch heck for
broadcasting out of band, he was an old key jockey who got his amateur
ticket in the Navy. Allot of the AM traffic at the time was on the RC
channels especially from the Midwest.

ups.com...

Old August 1st 05, 01:51 PM

This guy was feared among locals, as someone who was trying to lure
people in, then bust them for being on these illegal frequencies. There
were the obvious rumors, opinions, and you could never get the real
story for sure. In those days, you had to be licensed, and the FCC was
definitely busting people, so it was a matter of being safe instead of
sorry. The COLONEL was someone who would talk to you, but gave you the
creeps!

Sir_Oblivion wrote:
Sounds familiar but can't recall any specifics. Occasionally used to
communicate with several stations in the Chicagoland area late sixties to
mid seventies on my Dad's old Johnson Ranger. I would catch heck for
broadcasting out of band, he was an old key jockey who got his amateur
ticket in the Navy. Allot of the AM traffic at the time was on the RC
channels especially from the Midwest.

ups.com...

Old August 2nd 05, 06:30 PM
Sir_Oblivion

FCC enforcement was different then. I recall my Dad receiving notice that
his beam antenna exceeded height limitations by ten feet from the FCC. This
was around '73-'75. CB was in it's heyday without a myriad of foul mouthed
stations. I had QSL's from all forty-eight states using a Browning Mark III
and 5 element beam.

ups.com...

Sir_Oblivion wrote:
Sounds familiar but can't recall any specifics. Occasionally used to
communicate with several stations in the Chicagoland area late sixties to
mid seventies on my Dad's old Johnson Ranger. I would catch heck for
broadcasting out of band, he was an old key jockey who got his amateur
ticket in the Navy. Allot of the AM traffic at the time was on the RC
channels especially from the Midwest.

ups.com...

Old August 2nd 05, 09:44 PM

I started in 1965, with a pair of cheap walkie talkies. Then, got a
"Black Shadow" by Colt, and away I went! At least in the midwest here,
CB got pretty foul mouthed by 1970.

But "The Colonel" was a mystery, and as I can't seem to find any of my
lost CB buddies from the years, I've always wondered if anyone else out
there ran across him on the airwaves.

Old August 2nd 05, 10:31 PM

Not I, sorry.

OT Bush Sends 70 Year Old Retired Army Colonel To Afghanistan On Active Duty RHF Shortwave 1 December 13th 04 06:42 PM
OT Bush Sends 70 Year Old Retired Army Colonel To Afghanistan OnActive Duty dxAce Shortwave 0 December 13th 04 01:45 PM
Last Word on The Colonel LW Shortwave 11 May 11th 04 04:48 AM
Colonel Klunk Blows Goats!!!!! BoB the Almighty Policy 2 July 30th 03 08:10 PM