Old August 9th 05, 06:03 AM
R.M.R.

Default "Do Tubes Go Flat If not Used"

Years back in the Tampa Fl. CB renegade days I ran a tweaked out Eagle
500 amp for a "little" extra power.It was pushed by a 75watt modulator
and in front of that was my tricked President Washington dial-a-watt
down to 2 watts.All ran up an Antron 99 w/ a ground plane kit attached
and spoke from a D104 The entire rig (much more than I mentioned above)
has been shelfed for at least 10 years.The glass in the Eagle were hot
upon storage.

My question is do tubes go flat over time when not in use.If so and if I
ever decide to pull it out for my dad who's house bound what would be a
good contact for those 20LF6 tubes.I haven't seen much on the internet
for that particular series of tube.

Ray,

Old August 9th 05, 04:17 PM
Kevin, WB5RUE

They don't go bad with age if not used. However if there was a
manufacturing defect, i.e. not completely sealed, they do become "gassy" and
lose efficiency. They tend to leak around the pins. Look at the getter
(silver area on the inside of the glass.) Is it a nice shiny silver or does
it have some gray/white deposits on it. If it has the deposits then the
tube has a leak.
--
Kevin, WB5RUE

"R.M.R." wrote in message
Years back in the Tampa Fl. CB renegade days I ran a tweaked out Eagle
500 amp for a "little" extra power.It was pushed by a 75watt modulator
and in front of that was my tricked President Washington dial-a-watt
down to 2 watts.All ran up an Antron 99 w/ a ground plane kit attached
and spoke from a D104 The entire rig (much more than I mentioned above)
has been shelfed for at least 10 years.The glass in the Eagle were hot
upon storage.

My question is do tubes go flat over time when not in use.If so and if I
ever decide to pull it out for my dad who's house bound what would be a
good contact for those 20LF6 tubes.I haven't seen much on the internet
for that particular series of tube.

Ray,

Which Tube Radio, not only Which Radio Tube SR Shortwave 8 October 24th 04 01:30 PM
Tubes for Sale Tom Hix w4th Swap 0 December 4th 03 05:39 PM
Tubes FS Tom Hix w4th Homebrew 0 December 3rd 03 12:20 PM
Tubes FS Tom Hix w4th Homebrew 0 December 3rd 03 12:20 PM
Tubes FS Tom Hix w4th Equipment 0 December 3rd 03 12:19 PM