Old September 1st 05, 04:32 AM
SteveJ

Default Hi Tech

Here we are in this fine HiTECK society, and with all this great New
Trucking radio systems are not worth a **** in a real emergency like in the
Big Easy, and the police can not talk anywhere. Car to Car does not work
either.
Hell CB would work better or something. All police should have a backup
simplex Radio to use if this happens again as at least they could talk if
the repeater went down. I bet right now in most areas we live if the main
base went out all communications would go to crap..
Sometimes keep it simple really works.
By the way where is all those Ham operators that should help out.

Old September 1st 05, 02:10 PM
just me

"SteveJ" wrote in message
Here we are in this fine HiTECK society, and with all this great New
Trucking radio systems are not worth a **** in a real emergency like in
the Big Easy, and the police can not talk anywhere. Car to Car does not
work either.
Hell CB would work better or something. All police should have a backup
simplex Radio to use if this happens again as at least they could talk if
the repeater went down. I bet right now in most areas we live if the main
base went out all communications would go to crap..
Sometimes keep it simple really works.
By the way where is all those Ham operators that should help out.

Let's see - those who weren't completely wiped out - are probably on the
outskirts of the city - in a "Staging" area - waiting to be allowed in. In a
disaster - Hams can't just go marching in carte blanche. They are usually
assigned to a Fire - Police - EMS unit and at a command post.
I am involved in EMA, so I know of what I speak. The "CBers" could be called
in to help as well - with patrols to help watch for crime - as a "Citizen's"
patrol - once things are to where that can be done. With little to no power,
not much room to set up shop and considering the whole city is being
evacuated, no one is setting up shop. Nothing can be done until they get the
levee(s) fixed. Problem is, not so much with the "hi tech" it is many
agencies "bank" on their comms systems and are closed doored to any outside
assistance - including Ham. Maybe after this, eyes will be opened. It
sometimes takes disasters to make things be seen for what they truly are. NO
radio system is without it's limits. I can tell you, during a local
disaster - our fire radio system was swamped. It was Ham (and yes I am one)
that got us through. I had placed operators strategically through out my
area to give me reports as needed. When an engine rolled, one of our
firefighters (a ham) had his 2 meter radio in his pocket. Again, the fire
radio was virtually useless with all the traffic. Ham AND CB can and do play
a role - if invited.
While I don't have many CBers in my area anymore as before, I do plan to use
them too - if ever needed. "I" will not rule out "any" options if it will
help get the job done.

jm

Old September 6th 05, 06:29 PM
The Magnum

"SteveJ" wrote in message
Here we are in this fine HiTECK society, and with all this great New
Trucking radio systems are not worth a **** in a real emergency like in

the
Big Easy, and the police can not talk anywhere. Car to Car does not work
either.
Hell CB would work better or something. All police should have a backup
simplex Radio to use if this happens again as at least they could talk if
the repeater went down. I bet right now in most areas we live if the main
base went out all communications would go to crap..
Sometimes keep it simple really works.
By the way where is all those Ham operators that should help out.

I think to be honest anyone whith half a brain evacuated when they had
chance.. they heeded the warnings. Secondly the power went out so basically
to stay on air they would need to go in their mobiles which were probably
underwater or stay indoors with a car battery and hope they could survive
the same as anyone else as they would have had no water and no sanitation
and quite probably only a few days food available. Fair play to the
services who set up any "ham" radios to use but why should the average Jo
Amateur have to risk his life because you think they should help out. Then
again what would they be able to say... help we need help, we have looting
rapes murder and need food, water and emergency shelter... we all know that,
what would it have acheived. What the people in NO needed was instant
responce from the armed forces to help evacuate, rescue and control order,
not have to wait 4 or 5 days before serious help even being mobilised. In my
eyes this is where the system fell apart... they knew it was coming, they
knew it was going to be bad... but it seems those in power just werent up to
the task..
I do agree entirely about the backup simplex radio to keep in touch. If
Roscoe P Coltrain had a CB in his vehical back in the 70's (Dukes of
Hazzard) how come theres none today ;o)... There comes a point where all
this state of the art technology collapses, and without backups we go back
to the dark ages...

HP Tech Support now gone overseas (ot) Bonobo Roger Scanner 11 August 4th 05 02:34 PM
HP Tech Support now gone overseas (ot) Bonobo Roger Shortwave 14 August 4th 05 02:34 PM
High Tech Todd? Roger Policy 0 May 28th 05 08:15 AM
Why are so many defending the proposed automatic upgrade from Tech to General? Jason Hsu Policy 56 April 23rd 04 06:58 AM
Why did the FCC merge the Tech and Tech Plus classes in 2000? Jason Hsu Policy 1 January 27th 04 07:13 PM