Old September 7th 05, 07:10 PM
Jaa Jaa

Default I-max 2000 ground plane

I have a i-max 2000,is it worth the time to put a ground plane on it?

Old September 7th 05, 10:35 PM
TNT

Good antennas, but the ground plane will not make much of a difference, but
if you need a noticable difference get a good 10 db increase in gain from
your antenna with a add on amp, now that will do some goood.
If 3-6 watts out peaking to 12 is good, then 40-60 watts out peaking to
120 is much better, now thats gain.

"Steveo" wrote in message
(Jaa Jaa) wrote:
I have a i-max 2000,is it worth the time to put a ground plane on it?

You gonna stack em?

Old September 7th 05, 11:12 PM
Steveo

"TNT" wrote:
Good antennas, but the ground plane will not make much of a difference,
but if you need a noticable difference get a good 10 db increase in gain
from your antenna with a add on amp, now that will do some goood.
If 3-6 watts out peaking to 12 is good, then 40-60 watts out peaking to
120 is much better, now thats gain.

Nah, that's voodoo when you look at the subject header. An operator needs a
good antenna and coax/ground first.

Old September 9th 05, 06:56 PM
Jay in the Mojave

Hello Steveo:

I am not real impressed with the short ground plane radials I have seen
advertised for the I Max 2000.

I think 3 or 4 each 96 inch Francis Amazer Fiberglass Whip Antennas
would be a good ground plane radial kit. Not the shorter ones I have
seen advertised.

Kreedenitials attached:

Kreedentials:.

Rock n Roll Fan
Owner 1977 Ford F250 4x4 with the worlds loudest Public Address System,
great for whistling at girls, or at Oldie but Goodie night at the drive
in, or inconsiderate driver on their cell fones.
Member Mojave Desert Radio Association, cost 9 bucks, but I didn't get
change from a 10 spot?!?!?
Would roll up drivers window on truck, if only I had one....
Kollage Credits, 5 ea 3 for passing, and 2 for leavin early.

Jay in the Mojave

Steveo wrote:

Steveo wrote:

(Jaa Jaa) wrote:

I have a i-max 2000,is it worth the time to put a ground plane on it?

You gonna stack em?

Apparently I'm unaware of the add-on radial kit that you are asking about.
I've never owned one of those.

I'd ask Jay if he thinks it helps, he's sorta our resident antenna guru in
this group so far.

Ask him about his credentials first tho.

Old September 9th 05, 10:56 PM
Vinnie S.

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 10:56:19 -0700, Jay in the Mojave wrote:

Hello Steveo:

I am not real impressed with the short ground plane radials I have seen
advertised for the I Max 2000.

I think 3 or 4 each 96 inch Francis Amazer Fiberglass Whip Antennas
would be a good ground plane radial kit. Not the shorter ones I have
seen advertised.

Jay, what if the radials are coiled? At the correct length?

The antenna does very well from 10-15 meters. I get only a 1.8:1 on 15 meters
with 10% reflected power. On 17 meters, the SWR is 3.0:1, 25% relected power.
Yet with my tuner tunes very easily on 17 meters, and I made a contact in
Switzerland. Forget 20 meters.

Vinnie S.
Old September 10th 05, 01:40 AM
Steveo

Vinnie S. wrote:
Jay, what if the radials are coiled? At the correct length?

You trimmed his kredentials!