Old September 21st 05, 07:34 PM
hubble

Default Help please

Long time ago I used a CB on the road in my car.
Today,I am looking for info on a top of the line unit and/or a side band
unit.
I never had a SB but I heard they reach out.
I live in Mobile,8 miles from I-65,16 miles from I-10 and 3 miles from
U.S.98
I am a amateur so be easy

hub

http://www.angelfire.com/la/hubno/index.html
http://www.lucianne.com

Old September 22nd 05, 12:40 AM
IR

Unidens are good, older non chineese cobra's.
Midland has a ssb unit with removable faceplate, scan...
The Midland is the only smaller/recent/full-feature ssb unit I
know of. The only other small ssb, that might be comparable
to the size of the am-only unit you might have had before is
the Uniden PC-122 xlr. Someone else here might know if there's
anything smaller to fit a modern car by Ranger/Galaxcy etc.

Personally the Midland peaks my interest. Actually for my car
I've got a dirt cheap mini am-only hooked up to a 5ft Francis whip.
and a "Ham" 2 meter rig. Now if you are looking for a CB for your
house the sky is the limit... I'd go for a large mobile type rig
like a President or a large Uniden or Cobra, etc.... or maybie
just the Midland with all its features and an external speaker.

Glad you didn't ask about antenna's, that would be a whole other
subject Basically you want to either drill a hole in your car
or use a trunk-lip mount, with an unloaded whip, bigger being better.
For the house there are many options, I've got a full wave loop hung
around a wall indoors here, due to restrictions. One or 2 of these
outside would be great if I could-- one oriented N-S and one E-W...
The ultimate is a rotatable beam up in the air. Never had one but
have talked on one.......... . . . . . . . . . . .

ir

Old September 22nd 05, 12:07 AM
hubble

Thanks,I have a Midland with a 4 foot magnetic antenna.Works okay on
road at 2 miles.
I want a SSB for the house with a 12 volt hookup so I can use my car
battery for power.

You know,if the police & rescue units in La. had had CB's they wouldn't
have had a problem with communications.
In Ga.they use to have them in patrol cars.

Old September 22nd 05, 04:50 PM
Vinnie S.

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 13:34:01 -0500, (hubble) wrote:

Long time ago I used a CB on the road in my car.
Today,I am looking for info on a top of the line unit and/or a side band
unit.
I never had a SB but I heard they reach out.
I live in Mobile,8 miles from I-65,16 miles from I-10 and 3 miles from
U.S.98
I am a amateur so be easy

hub

http://www.angelfire.com/la/hubno/index.html
http://www.lucianne.com

If you are going to use it in the car for info or talking to truck drivers, you
only need AM. If you are doing to DX, then you get sideband. I have a Uniden
Grant LT. It an ass kicking radio. The best part is the great receive.

Vinnie S.