Old September 30th 05, 02:21 AM
Buther Boy

Default antenna question

What do you think would work better in this situation, a back of the
set Radio Shack antenna or a tunable tip rubber duck antenna? With
both antennas, I wonder about SWR. Will be testing both in a week or
so....

BB

--
Remove the word Spam from my e-mail to contact me...
http://www.PrivacySig.com/SIGbutherb...mail-black.png
Old September 30th 05, 02:40 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 20:21:43 -0500, Buther Boy wrote
in :

What do you think would work better in this situation, a back of the
set Radio Shack antenna or a tunable tip rubber duck antenna? With
both antennas, I wonder about SWR. Will be testing both in a week or
so....

BB

Neither antenna will work worth a damn regardless of SWR. Here's a
suggestion: Scrounge some TV twinlead, use it to make a folded dipole,
hang it on your wall, and connect it to your radio with a 4:1 balun
that you can wind really easily using a core from a junk computer
power supply. It will take you a whole hour to get it put together and
cost you practically nothing.

Old September 30th 05, 03:44 AM
Vinnie S.

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 20:21:43 -0500, Buther Boy wrote:

What do you think would work better in this situation, a back of the
set Radio Shack antenna or a tunable tip rubber duck antenna? With
both antennas, I wonder about SWR. Will be testing both in a week or
so....

BB

Neither. You won't get around the block with either of those antennas. Stick
with the dipole. You will do fine with the dipole.

Vinnie S.
Old September 30th 05, 08:50 AM
Buther Boy

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 22:44:50 -0400, Vinnie S.
wrote:

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 20:21:43 -0500, Buther Boy wrote:

What do you think would work better in this situation, a back of the
set Radio Shack antenna or a tunable tip rubber duck antenna? With
both antennas, I wonder about SWR. Will be testing both in a week or
so....

BB

Neither. You won't get around the block with either of those antennas. Stick
with the dipole. You will do fine with the dipole.

Vinnie S.

Vinnie S.:

Thanks, I appreciate your feedback!

Buther Boy

Old September 30th 05, 08:58 AM
Buther Boy

wrote:

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 20:21:43 -0500, Buther Boy wrote:

What do you think would work better in this situation, a back of the
set Radio Shack antenna or a tunable tip rubber duck antenna? With
both antennas, I wonder about SWR. Will be testing both in a week or
so....

BB

Neither. You won't get around the block with either of those antennas. Stick
with the dipole. You will do fine with the dipole.

Vinnie S.

Due to restrictions of living in a condo, I had to settle on a
somewhat "compromised" antenna, which I purchased a few days ago. I
went ahead and ordered the miracle whip antenna, which while it is a
compromise on 11 meter, provides me with the ability to "fairly"
accurately pull in short wave broadcasts among other things. I don't
know if anyone here on the board would ever use an antenna like the
miracle whip, but it certainly will do the trick for my application,
albeit a bit of a compromise on 11 meter.

Buther Boy

Old September 30th 05, 02:14 PM
Vinnie S.

wrote:

[...]

Not familiar qith that. The receive is not as critical on an antenna, as
transmitting on it. If you want to talk skip or DX, the dipole is the way to
go. And if you are in a urban area, you can get locals too. I don't think that
whip will be any good, if you are going to transmit on it.

Vinnie S.
Old September 30th 05, 05:08 PM

What do you think would work better in this situation, a back of the
set Radio Shack antenna or a tunable tip rubber duck antenna? With
both antennas, I wonder about SWR. Will be testing both in a week or
so....

BB

--
Remove the word Spam from my e-mail to contact me...
http://www.PrivacySig.com/SIGbutherb...mail-black.png
~

What is a "buther boy"? Is that like a butcher boy?