Old October 10th 05, 10:09 PM

Default What's going on in the "basement" channels?

It's been a few years since I was in the basement channels. My current
rig does not go below channel 1, so can someone tell me if anything has
changed down there? Used to be, from channel 1 to about 20 below, it
was mostly AM skip from outside the USA. Thanks

Old October 11th 05, 05:20 PM

Ok, thanks!

Old October 13th 05, 08:29 PM
Scott in Baltimore

Used to be you were right,
but with the current lull in the cycle,
it's mostly line noise and static,
below,
above,
and all in between.

That's why it's nice to have another radio/band to use.
CB is dead around here. SSB is another matter. It's alive!

2 meters is always busy. It has a lot of the old CB'ers on it,
and the current CB'ers that are sick of the noise and bleedover.

CB is AM. 11 meters is sideband. Totally different.
Find me on 36 USB or someplace simplex on 2 meters.
Old October 14th 05, 02:20 AM
jim

Justín Käse wrote:
In posted on Thu, 13 Oct
2005 15:29:31 -0400, Scott in Baltimore wrote:

~~~

CB is dead around here. SSB is another matter. It's alive!

CB is a designated radio service
that includes SSB as one of the approved modes.

CB is AM.

not necessarily

11 meters is sideband.

not necessarily

Totally different.

In your state of confusion,
anything could be wrong, right,
or a little of both

Find me on 36 USB

Would that be 27.365 MHz (Channel 36) in the CB band?

or someplace simplex on 2 meters.

AM, SSB, or perhaps the more common FM?

Hey Scott, I'm not trying to be hard on you, but your misconceptions are
woefully common amongst CBers as they make their transition to HAM,
someday you'll look back and laugh at yourself too.

and your misconception is that cbers want to make the transition to
amateur freqs. 11 meters is mostly a ssb mode though i've worked
montserrat on fm which is a rarity. cb is mostly am except for 36-39 and
in the old days 13 & 16 at least here on the island.
you sound like a typical imperial amateur. and i use the word 'amateur'
as the dictionary defines it.
Old October 14th 05, 05:55 PM
The Magnum

Hey Scott, I'm not trying to be hard on you, but your misconceptions are
woefully common amongst CBers as they make their transition to HAM,
someday you'll look back and laugh at yourself too.

and your misconception is that cbers want to make the transition to
amateur freqs. 11 meters is mostly a ssb mode though i've worked
montserrat on fm which is a rarity. cb is mostly am except for 36-39 and
in the old days 13 & 16 at least here on the island.
you sound like a typical imperial amateur. and i use the word 'amateur'
as the dictionary defines it.

A few CB'ers do want to make the transition to Amateur frequencies and they
do move on to Amateur. Thats where a lot of your stock from the late
70's/80's/90's originated from. They had a dabble on CB, enjoyed it then
progressed further. Also CB is definately not just AM, CB is anything using
the CB frequencies. Not necessarily legally used granted. CB in the UK is
FM... that doesnt make it something other than CB..

Old October 15th 05, 03:00 AM
jim

Justín Käse wrote:
In posted on Thu, 13 Oct
2005 21:20:11 -0400, jim wrote:

and your misconception is that cbers want to make the transition to
amateur freqs.

I have no way of knowing what CBers in general want, but was referring
to some common erroneous vernacular. And as to you, I could hardly care
less what you or your dictionary suggest.

if you dont know what cber's want then why the hell are you posting in a
cb ng? amazing...
Old October 15th 05, 03:05 AM
jim

The Magnum wrote:

[...]

enjoyed working some of the uk folks on 27.8625 whatever as i had to
slide to hear them. easiest was just doing the nickel and moving 10 kc's
either way. 26.285 was another pick up freq. home was .315 for many
years. cheers, 73 jim.
Old October 15th 05, 11:39 AM
The Magnum

"jim" wrote in message
The Magnum wrote:

[...]

Never had the opportunity to skip talk to America on FM. I did it a couple
of times on SSB on the triple 5 but mainly on FM we just seem to get some
parts of Europe. There was some sporadic E a few months back where all parts
of the UK were coming in, it was amazing ands it was like talking to someone
down the road 30 plus both ways on only 4w. I live in Skegness which is on
the East cost of the UK and i was copying Swansea (bottom of Wales, west UK)
so your talking a good couple of hundred miles at least. I remember back in
81 when we were given the UK frequencies on FM and everyone thought it would
be crap and extremely short wave, basically cup and string jobs. How wrong
we all were. Id never go back to mid block AM because all we would hear
during the daytime would be 9 pound of Italians. Do you ever use the channel
19 USB on double low? The frequency escapes me but a few years back this was
one of the channels i used to listen to and you had more chance of a decent
copy as a lot couldnt get down there and it wasnt as packed as the triple 5.
Regards,
Graham

Old October 15th 05, 08:28 PM
Buther Boy

One strange night, I was able to talk skip to someone calling break on
an FM frequency within the U.S., and within the CB Band. I believe we
were about 1,000 miles apart. It was fun......

Buther Boy

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 11:39:02 +0100, "The Magnum"
wrote:

--
Remove the word Spam from my e-mail to contact me...
http://www.PrivacySig.com/SIGbutherb...mail-black.png
Old October 15th 05, 09:41 PM

I used to try FM, when I tried out a President Jackson. But the
bandwidth spread caused other cb-ers to find me and complain that i was
bleeding over on them (was using stock power too). But, unlike some
here, I never was able to manage a skip contact on FM...just SSB.

I used to be a member of the TransAmerica Sideband club, which
monitored 27.575LSB Been over 5 years, and I hear that it's gone now.

Thanks for the feedback on the basement channels, and for the opinions
on the attic channels too.