Old October 20th 05, 08:20 PM
Buther Boy

Default Putting up an Imax

Interesting point. In regards to Katrina, only 1/3 of the people that
were affected by the storm, had flood insurance. 1/3 seems like an
interesting figure as well. Do you think that 1/3 is high, low, or
right on? I am wondering if the 1/3 of individuals/families that had
flood insurance are even going to get paid by the insurance companies;
and with that, just who will be eligible for rebuilding money from the
govt.?

Just some thoughts I've had lately.

Buther Boy

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 14:10:53 -0400, (I
AmnotGeorgeBush) wrote:

From:
(Landshark)
Another hurricane heading your way.

Batten down the hatches....................

****************Landshark

I'm good to go! We can weather storms a bit better than our sister
states along our Gulf..maybe that's because of the building codes here
or maybe that's because Floridians have been dealing with hurricanes
ever since they used to lash themselves and family members to palm trees
so they wouldn't blow away. It always seems to be the yankees on the
televison crying about how they lost their overpriced mansion on the
water. Mother nature has a funny weeding process concerning the
cleansing of her shores. As long as people continue to build on wetlands
and destroy the natural barrier islands and sawgrasses, they deserve
what mother nature tosses their way. If they have the money to continue
rebuilding, fine, but I don't believe these folks should qualify for a
single penny in aid.

--
Remove the word Spam from my e-mail to contact me...
http://www.PrivacySig.com/SIGbutherb...mail-black.png
Old October 21st 05, 10:59 PM
I AmnotGeorgeBush

From: (Buther*Boy)
Interesting point. In regards to Katrina, only

1/3 of the people that were affected by the

storm, had flood insurance. 1/3 seems like an

interesting figure as well. Do you think that 1/3
is high, low, or right on? I am wondering if the

1/3 of individuals/families that had flood

insurance are even going to get paid by the

insurance companies; and with that, just who

will be eligible for rebuilding money from the

govt.?

Just some thoughts I've had lately.

Buther Boy

Interesting is right. Folks on the water HAVE to have flood insurance
here in Florida IF they have a mortgage and they are on the water,
doesn't matter if it's the ocean, Gulf, river, pond, stream or creek,
it's mandatory. Problem is, the ground here is all sand. Once it sponges
all it can hold, the water begins to pool. Add a jammed/backed
up/overflowing sewage system or few into the mix and suddenly that
inland neighborhood that had no bodies of water anywhere near it is
indistinguishable from the flooded beaches, bays, tributaries and other
water flooded areas. The homes flood. I'd guess the majority of those
inland who flooded had no flood insurance.

Another way the insurance companies put the screws to us is they have
separate wind policies and deductibles. If you don't elect to take the
wind coverage (an extra expense, and again, many inland AND even here on
the coast do not elect it) and you get your roof blown off, tough!

The last straw however, is the scumbags in the insurance industry who
still have not paid their policy holders in south Florida from last
year's triple dose of hurricanes. There are still plenty of families
residing in FEMA provided trailers waiting on their checks from the
insurance companies, which leads to the bigger picture of the State Pool
Insurance that was created to help those who can't get homeowners or
those who are dropped for filing a claim. By default and totally
unintentionally, the state backed pool became the single largest insurer
in Florida AND the most expensive. They are suffering and have ethical
questions and investigations ongoing. Name of the outfit is "Citizen's
Insurance" and they are underwritten by the JUA. Google them for some
reading into why this state is so screwed up with political hacks and
friends of big business and insurance.

Old October 21st 05, 07:25 PM
Junior Member

Hi, I have my I-Max 2000 mounted on a two inch diameter forty two foot pole. Before that I machined the mounting plate off and fitted the A99 ground plane kit. The base of the I-Max is not round, being oval, so I manufactured a sleeve to allow easy installation of the GP kit. I can report it works extremely well on 12m - 10m and is usuable down to 20m with an internal aatu. Beyond that the performance drops away rapidly although it will match ok down to 80m requiring the likes of the SCC aatu to match on 160m. The Shakespere ABS performs a little better on the ham bands, but the I-Max is better on the 12m - CB - 10m segment.
Remember, if you're not worried about it falling down, it's not high enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buther Boy
I have spent quite a bit of time in the last several weeks trying to
come up with a solution for talking skip in a town home area. Well, I
think I got it figured out... Maybe any way. :-)

I ordered the Imax 2000, based on several eham reviews and in
particular, the reviews of N0VZ and WB2YIP:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1376?page=3

It would seem that I could theoretically get away with installing the
Imax 2000 at my town home on PVC piping in a 5 gallon cemented bucket.

So there you have it!

Buther Boy

Old October 22nd 05, 01:04 AM
Buther Boy

As it stands, and I am working on it this weekend, it will be mounted
on a 3 foot galvanized pipe that slides inside a 2 foot piece of PVC
that is cemented in a 5 gallon bucket. I read about the installation
on eham.net. Seems to be legit as far as installations go, but only
at wind speeds of 50 miles or less.

Good enough for the time being...

Buther Boy