Old November 12th 05, 02:58 PM
The Magnum

Default FAQ

"zjjPK "

rcom.ie.net wrote in message ...
"The Magnum" wrote:

"Dana" wrote in message
.com...
The mistake the FCC made was dropping the code requirment down to 5

wpm.
Lots of nivices squeeked under the wire.

What is this absurd fascination with Morse Code? Wouldnt you rather just

its not absurd.

if you did the morse test you would understand.

Then can you explain it to me then? Im not being flippant, I actually want
to know why its important and why, in your words, it drops the quality of
people who chose to become Amateur if they don't do morse... why does it
make them any less of a good Amateur?... and why do you think that because
morse might be dropped the band will become full of CB people who will wreak
havoc? And why do you class all CB'ers as the same?

Old November 12th 05, 05:12 PM
an_old_friend

zjjPK wrote:
Dana wrote:

The mistake the FCC made was dropping the code requirment down to 5 wpm.
Lots of nivices squeeked under the wire.

the mistake every authority has made is....

when you cheapen a licence , you get lower standards of behaviour being
displayed by the licensees.

suppositions and unsuported

when those who have licences did very little to get that licence they will
treat that licence with very little respect.

again suposition

when those licensees are governed by rules/regulations then their
behaviour may well become the subject of complaints.

complaints must be investigated.
this costs money.

not realy the FCC did not bother with complaints for many years

that is why the bands got trashy
cut

Old November 12th 05, 05:19 PM
an_old_friend

zjjPK wrote:
"The Magnum" wrote:

"Dana" wrote in message
.com...
The mistake the FCC made was dropping the code requirment down to 5 wpm.
Lots of nivices squeeked under the wire.

What is this absurd fascination with Morse Code? Wouldnt you rather just

its not absurd.

it is asburd

if you did the morse test you would understand.

I have and I do understand it is an absurd hazing ritual

Old November 12th 05, 05:32 PM
zarPK

"The Magnum" wrote:

Then can you explain it to me then? Im not being flippant, I actually want
to know why its important and why, in your words, it drops the quality of
people who chose to become Amateur if they don't do morse... why does it
make them any less of a good Amateur?... and why do you think that because
morse might be dropped the band will become full of CB people who will wreak
havoc? And why do you class all CB'ers as the same?

all you have to do is observe the behaviour on this newsgroup.

the outrageous foul language used.

and then listen to 40m

by even attempting to do the morse test shows an attempt and willingness
to improve.
something that 2500 showed they didnt have when they ran away.

and worse... they showed it to the authorities.

Old November 12th 05, 05:35 PM
zarPK

"an_old_friend" wrote:

zjjPK wrote:
Dana wrote:

The mistake the FCC made was dropping the code requirment down to 5 wpm.
Lots of nivices squeeked under the wire.

the mistake every authority has made is....

when you cheapen a licence , you get lower standards of behaviour being
displayed by the licensees.

suppositions and unsuported

never listened to the bands in the last two years then ?

when those who have licences did very little to get that licence they will
treat that licence with very little respect.

again suposition

never listened to the bands in the last two years then ?

when those licensees are governed by rules/regulations then their
behaviour may well become the subject of complaints.

complaints must be investigated.
this costs money.

not realy the FCC did not bother with complaints for many years

that is why the bands got trashy

and they will continue to get 'trashy'

if 'u' are given a licence for almost no-effort then that licence is
worthless because when lost ..it represents no-amount of effort.

Old November 12th 05, 05:40 PM
an_old_friend

zarPK wrote:
"an_old_friend" wrote:

zjjPK wrote:
Dana wrote:

The mistake the FCC made was dropping the code requirment down to 5 wpm.
Lots of nivices squeeked under the wire.

the mistake every authority has made is....

when you cheapen a licence , you get lower standards of behaviour being
displayed by the licensees.

suppositions and unsuported

never listened to the bands in the last two years then ?

yes I have

indeed I hear very little there a subject I find of some concern

when those who have licences did very little to get that licence they will
treat that licence with very little respect.

again suposition

never listened to the bands in the last two years then ?

yes i have listened

I also know I almost nothing for my license yet I value it highly for
what it alows me to do

when those licensees are governed by rules/regulations then their
behaviour may well become the subject of complaints.

complaints must be investigated.
this costs money.

not realy the FCC did not bother with complaints for many years

that is why the bands got trashy

and they will continue to get 'trashy'

and this is not affected by the testing or lack of it

you don't put the cops out looking for speeding you don't chatch the
speeders

making the linces harder to get does not stopp the speeder the fears of
the cops does

if 'u' are given a licence for almost no-effort then that licence is
worthless because when lost ..it represents no-amount of effort.

you are wrong my License was given me with no more efort than it took
to show and take the test (the book i had ordered to studiy arrived the
day after the test

Old November 12th 05, 07:22 PM
The Magnum

"zjjPK "

rcom.ie.net wrote in message ...
Dana wrote:

The mistake the FCC made was dropping the code requirment down to 5 wpm.
Lots of nivices squeeked under the wire.

Lol, great command of the English language there. I wonder if his morse is
as bad........

the mistake every authority has made is....

when you cheapen a licence , you get lower standards of behaviour being
displayed by the licensees.

I disagree. There might be one or two idiots but that doesnt fall completely
at the ease of getting the licence.

when those who have licences did very little to get that licence they will
treat that licence with very little respect.

Once again, after showing a willingness to actually bother to get licenced,
being it easy or not, they have to purchase the said equipment. Surely your
not saying CB'ers who dont give a rats ass about Amateur are spending their
hard earnt? money on Amateur kit, and getting registered so you can find out
who and where they are... just to mess about and upset a few advanced
Amateurs? Seems a very strange way of going about things.

Surely these idiot users are more likely the completely unlicenced users on
stolen radios or kids messing about on parents radios while they are out
rather than someone who wants to become a "first step" Amateur? Also quite a
few people who gain M3 licences or whatever the equivelent in the US surely
would go on to intermediate and so on rather than just stop there. A few
will yes but many will want to progress.

when those licensees are governed by rules/regulations then their
behaviour may well become the subject of complaints.

Or maybe not....... your now trying to say Amateurs above the entry level
never cause interference or mess about sometimes on the air.... b-ll-cks.

complaints must be investigated.
this costs money.

yes........

end result....
lowering the 'cost of administration' allows cb'ers onto amateur bands.

Err, whats wrong with CBers becoming radio Amateurs? Its happened for years
and years....long before the licence was made easier. And most of them
became perfectly respected Amateurs.

cb'ers on amateur bands will cause problems.

NO....idiots on Amateur bands will cause problems. Or do you tar all CB
radio users with the same brush?

problems cause complaints.

Yes.........

complaints cause investigations.

Yes............

investigations cost money.

Yes......

money that was hoped to have been saved in the first place !!

Saved for what? The fully licenced Annual Amateur Jamboree ?

and a lot of this behaviour can be put down to ONE THING.
(even the interview with an rsgb president on the arrl website shows this)

Oh in that case it must be right then.....

the plan to get rid of compulsory morse testing for hf access.

For gods sake... morse isnt the "be all and end all of radio", its an old
out-dated form of communication which had its use in the past but is now
just a form of elitist snobbery. Also trying to say anyone who doesnt want
to learn morse is basically a "scumbag" shows Bigotry beyond contempt. Why
not welcome the new Amateurs and encorage them to advance rather than look
down on them. The licence was made easier because the userbase of Amateur
was drastically on the decline. It was done to encorage more people to get
involved and keep the "hobby" alive.

Regards,
Graham

Old November 12th 05, 09:36 PM
an_old_friend

The Magnum wrote:

oh my a post in which with ervery word of yours
"zjjPK "

Old November 13th 05, 04:14 PM
zarPK

"The Magnum" wrote:

just a form of elitist snobbery. Also trying to say anyone who doesnt want
to learn morse is basically a "scumbag" shows Bigotry beyond contempt. Why

I said no such thing !

you have some correcting to do.

Old November 13th 05, 08:27 PM
The Magnum

"zarPK"

rcom.ie.net wrote in message ...
"The Magnum" wrote:

just a form of elitist snobbery. Also trying to say anyone who doesnt

want
to learn morse is basically a "scumbag" shows Bigotry beyond contempt.

Why

I said no such thing !

you have some correcting to do.

That comment was meant for the posters who say people on Amateur Bands who
do not wish to involve themselves with morse are lowly class CBers who seem
to live in trailor parks and live off welfare and care nothing (scumbags in
other words) It wasnt aimed directly at you it was put in as an "Also" to
those who try to put that image over. Maybe I should have made it a bit
clearer.

Regards,
Graham