Old November 14th 05, 11:08 PM
zYYPK

Default FAQ

"The Magnum" wrote:

"zarPK"

rcom.ie.net wrote in message ...
"The Magnum" wrote:

just a form of elitist snobbery. Also trying to say anyone who doesnt

want
to learn morse is basically a "scumbag" shows Bigotry beyond contempt.

Why

I said no such thing !

you have some correcting to do.

That comment was meant for the posters who say people on Amateur Bands who
do not wish to involve themselves with morse are lowly class CBers who seem
to live in trailor parks and live off welfare and care nothing (scumbags in
other words) It wasnt aimed directly at you it was put in as an "Also" to
those who try to put that image over. Maybe I should have made it a bit
clearer.

IT IS MY OPINION THAT...
theres a difference between
a cb'er who choses to join and amateur radio to improve his/her knowledge
and capability with radio
and
a cb'er who choses to invade amateur bands just to have extra bands to
play with and brings his/her 11m habits with him/her

Old November 15th 05, 06:29 PM
see sea oh ecks at you aitch see dot comm

In uk.radio.amateur The Magnum wrote:
Also the point still stands that a few, if not lot of problems on Amateur
bands could be down to kids going on their parents equipment while they are
out. There are lots of possibilitys but the CB'er gets it in the neck all
the time.

Whish is firmly where the responsibility is meant to lay. The Licensee is
the one responsible for the correct operation of his station at all times.
If he is not physically present, it is his/her responsibilty to ensure that
the equipment is disabled.
--
Chris Cox, N0UK/G4JEC NIC Handle: CC345
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
Old November 15th 05, 07:13 PM
The Magnum

"zYYPK"

rcom.ie.net wrote in message ...
"The Magnum" wrote:

"zarPK"

rcom.ie.net wrote in message ...
"The Magnum" wrote:

[...]

Yes, I agree with you whole heartedly but many older Hams refer to "both" as
simply CB'ers. This "will" upset genuine CB radio operators, and those who
did advance to Amateur from CB, as many full licence Hams dont seem able to
distinguish between the two, or dont want to distinguish... thats the
problem.
Also the point still stands that a few, if not lot of problems on Amateur
bands could be down to kids going on their parents equipment while they are
out. There are lots of possibilitys but the CB'er gets it in the neck all
the time.
Regards,
Graham

Old November 15th 05, 07:37 PM
The Magnum

wrote:
Also the point still stands that a few, if not lot of problems on

Amateur
bands could be down to kids going on their parents equipment while they

are
out. There are lots of possibilitys but the CB'er gets it in the neck

all
the time.

Whish is firmly where the responsibility is meant to lay. The Licensee is
the one responsible for the correct operation of his station at all times.
If he is not physically present, it is his/her responsibilty to ensure

that
the equipment is disabled.
--
Chris Cox, N0UK/G4JEC NIC Handle: CC345
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Maybe not to the point of disconnecting his/her equipment but at least
bringing up their kids to be respectful of things. I would personally put a
lock on the "shack" door so I could secure the room but some people have
them in their living room so sometimes I guess its asking for trouble. My CB
is in my office and also one in my repair "shack" and when I go out I make
sure both are locked. If I can do it for CB why cant they do it with their
Amateur kit... which is far more valuable in any case. Mind you, some adults
cant even be arsed to secure their guns but thats a different story.......
Regards,
Graham

Old November 15th 05, 08:17 PM
an old friend

see sea oh ecks at you aitch see dot comm wrote:
In uk.radio.amateur The Magnum wrote:
Also the point still stands that a few, if not lot of problems on Amateur
bands could be down to kids going on their parents equipment while they are
out. There are lots of possibilitys but the CB'er gets it in the neck all
the time.

Whish is firmly where the responsibility is meant to lay. The Licensee is
the one responsible for the correct operation of his station at all times.
If he is not physically present, it is his/her responsibilty to ensure that
the equipment is disabled.

not exactly or only in theory the Ham is responible for the use of his
equipement, but when was the last time the FCC tried to bust a ham for
say someone breaking into his car and using the equipment

In addition some modes can be used without the ham being present at
all

My car for example will transmit an APRS signal at intervals anytime
the engine is running, unless I turn it off each time I turn on the
engine. This allows me to kow where the body thing is if my old man
calls back to house and tells me he is lost, or if I found the car
missing and knew none of had it I could tell the cops where to go find
the theives

Old November 15th 05, 09:46 PM

In uk.radio.amateur an old friend wrote:
not exactly or only in theory the Ham is responible for the use of his
equipement, but when was the last time the FCC tried to bust a ham for
say someone breaking into his car and using the equipment

In addition some modes can be used without the ham being present at
all

My car for example will transmit an APRS signal at intervals anytime
the engine is running, unless I turn it off each time I turn on the
engine. This allows me to kow where the body thing is if my old man
calls back to house and tells me he is lost, or if I found the car
missing and knew none of had it I could tell the cops where to go find
the theives

Since when has the FCC had jurisdiction over radio amateurs in the UK?
British regulations are different to that in the UK.
Old November 15th 05, 10:16 PM
zYYPK

"The Magnum" wrote:

Not absolutely correct. Correct in some instances but i know lots of people
on 11 meter who go on SSB (illegaly of course) who treat it sensibly and
dont mess about. Many 11 meter users, especially the SSB users, have
reasonably good control on the airwaves even to the point of writing a log
and QSL'ing. These are CB'ers im talking about by the way, not Amateurs
although I know a couple of Amateurs who used to join in occasionally (using
their pirate call signs of course)

later on...
i remembered those on 11m who are the height of decency and kindness
and strive for excellence on 11m rather than messing around.

Old November 15th 05, 11:09 PM
zYYPK

wrote:
Since when has the FCC had jurisdiction over radio amateurs in the UK?

this can be arranged :-)