Old October 23rd 05, 04:54 PM
The Magnum

Default DOING ASSIGNMENTS INSTEAD OF YOU

You can now get what is laughingly known as a Radio Amateur
licence at 6-years-old. It is, in reality, a CBer's licence,
and is known as the "M3/CB Fools' Licence". No _REAL_
Radio Ham worth his salt has anything to do with the
scheme which is widely regarded as a gangrenous
degeneration of a once highly-regarded technical pursuit.

Yes while this is true, in reality, how many 6 year olds have you actually
heard transmitting on amateur bands. While its possible its highly unlikely
unless he was being driven and supervised by an "old ham" parent. It is a
stepping stone towards an intermediate licence and so on. They cant use all
the frequencies and power that the fully fledged "amateur" can but then
again you would know this already. I do agree though that its a degeneration
of an up until now elite technical pursuit but unfortunately times are
changing.
I would be amazed if anyone who gets their M3 wouldnt go on to the next
level or even go all the way. I feel though your attempt to steer any radio
ham away from this scheme is not a good idea. Surely taking these M3s under
your wing and encouraging them is the way forward not belittling them and
ignoring them. Doing this will only cause unrest and bad feelings/abuse on
the airwaves and drive many new Amateurs away from a fascinating but
dwindling hobby.
You may disagree with me, which is your choice but i believe your attitude
is completely wrong.
Regards,
Graham