Old October 25th 05, 06:43 PM
baron1_us

Default GE 40 Channel Hand held CB radios model number 3-5980A

My radios will transmit within 25 yards but not beyond 25 yards. What
may be the problem? I have ruled out operator error (lol).

Old October 25th 05, 10:07 PM
MnMikew

"baron1_us" wrote in message
oups.com...
My radios will transmit within 25 yards but not beyond 25 yards. What
may be the problem? I have ruled out operator error (lol).

I have these same radios and get similar results though I can get out a bit
further than 25yds, perhaps a couple hundred yards.

Old October 25th 05, 10:14 PM
Vinnie S.

On 25 Oct 2005 10:43:46 -0700, "baron1_us" wrote:

My radios will transmit within 25 yards but not beyond 25 yards. What
may be the problem? I have ruled out operator error (lol).

Your antenna sucks. It's probably a 6 inch rubber duck.

Vinnie S.
Old October 25th 05, 10:21 PM
The Magnum

"Vinnie S." wrote in message
On 25 Oct 2005 10:43:46 -0700, "baron1_us" wrote:

My radios will transmit within 25 yards but not beyond 25 yards. What
may be the problem? I have ruled out operator error (lol).

Your antenna sucks. It's probably a 6 inch rubber duck.

Vinnie S.

Its probably knackered..... sometimes the answer is so obvious ;o)

Old November 11th 05, 11:24 PM
Peter

"baron1_us" wrote...

My radios will transmit within 25 yards but not beyond 25 yards. What
may be the problem? I have ruled out operator error (lol).

2 main possibilities...

1. Antenna fault.
Check all your connections for open or short circuits.

2. Knackered CB.
The RF output would be the most likely culprit, although the drive transistor could
also do the same thing.

If unsure of which is to blame, you could try a different CB on the antenna or a different
antenna on the same CB to see what happens. If you have 2 radios, swap them around.
If certain it is the CB, but unsure of how to repair it, take it to someone who knows what they
are doing.

Regards,

Peter.
http://www.citizensband.radiouk.com/

Old November 12th 05, 08:33 AM
Dana

I have some of those, and i can talk across town on the rubber duck. I
bought them at big lots. It is kind of hard for me to tell what channel
they are on being blind, but I can listen to the noise and tell, kind of.