Old November 6th 05, 10:25 PM
Ralph Mowery

Default The FAQ - because no-one has an alternative one.

I'm not sure why this thread is even being cross-posted into a CB group,
but
to answer your question, in the US, the radio must be serviced by a
qualified, licensed individual. That is the "legal" way of doing it

anyway.
It doesn't happen very often, but that is another story for another

time...

Get a new rule book like one that is newer than say about 10 or so years.
The CB radios in the US has not required a license to repair them in many
years. The GROL is the replacement for the 1st and 2 nd class licenses that
used to be required to repair many transmitters. For about 95 % of the
transmitters in the US it is now worthless and not needed. Some companies
may require it as they think they are getting someone that may know
something. Now it is only needed for :

*****************
General Radiotelephone Operator License (GROL) is required to adjust
maintain, or internally repair FCC licensed radiotelephone transmitters in
the aviation, maritime and international fixed public radio services. It
conveys all of the operating authority of the MROP.

It is required to operate the following:

any maritime land radio station or compulsorily equipped ship radiotelephone
station operating with more than 1500 watts of peak envelope power;

voluntarily equipped ship and aeronautical (including aircraft) stations
with more than 1000 watts of peak envelope power

********************

Go here for more info on the licenses that are now issued.

http://www.narte.org/h/fccabout.asp

Old November 6th 05, 10:46 PM
The Magnum

"PowerHouse Communications" wrote in message

"The Magnum" wrote in message
I wonder where the law stands as far as CB radio's go. Are CB's allowed

be repaired by the average CB'er who has the knowledge or are they only
repairable by a qualified technician of some kind. I ask along the lines

of
the UK but would find the answer for America just as interesting.

I'm not sure why this thread is even being cross-posted into a CB group,

but

Because its a question about CB's ??????????

to answer your question, in the US, the radio must be serviced by a
qualified, licensed individual. That is the "legal" way of doing it

anyway.
It doesn't happen very often, but that is another story for another

time...

Thanks for that. So the theory i get so far is anyone can build an Amateur
radio but they cant "repair" a CB radio.... lol.. it is a crazy world

Old November 7th 05, 12:37 AM
Ralph Mowery

Thanks for that. So the theory i get so far is anyone can build an Amateur
radio but they cant "repair" a CB radio.... lol.. it is a crazy world

See comments above about license not needed any more for CB repair in the
US.

It used to be the Amateur tests were about on par with the comercial class
licenses. The main differance was just the regulatory rules and not the
electrical part. That was about 1972 when I passed the 1 st class license.
The way they are now anyone with a good memory can pass the tests. My wife
passed the Technichan class about 1987 or 88 just by memorizing the Q&A
pool. She doesn't know or care about the technical part of radio.

Old November 7th 05, 08:58 PM
The Magnum

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
ink.net...
Thanks for that. So the theory i get so far is anyone can build an

Amateur
radio but they cant "repair" a CB radio.... lol.. it is a crazy world

See comments above about license not needed any more for CB repair in the
US.

It used to be the Amateur tests were about on par with the comercial

class
licenses. The main differance was just the regulatory rules and not the
electrical part. That was about 1972 when I passed the 1 st class

license.
The way they are now anyone with a good memory can pass the tests. My

wife
passed the Technichan class about 1987 or 88 just by memorizing the Q&A
pool. She doesn't know or care about the technical part of radio.

I would guess a fair amount dont really care about the technical side or
would want to build their own radio and linear. You would have to be pretty
dedicated for that. I would also guess at most Amateurs are happy just
talking legally with a licence and a stock bought radio and antenna. Not
that theres anything wrong with that, it just depends on how serious you
take the hobby. Like the M3 foundation licence. It suits a lot of people who
are.. disillusioned with CB and want to go Amateur but not really wishing to
get so involved with the whole technical side of things. There are some good
M3 people out there whatever the old school say, but i agree they will never
be on a par with a full licence holder but is that such a terrible thing.

Old November 7th 05, 11:49 PM
Ralph Mowery

I would guess a fair amount dont really care about the technical side or
would want to build their own radio and linear. You would have to be

pretty
dedicated for that. I would also guess at most Amateurs are happy just
talking legally with a licence and a stock bought radio and antenna. Not
that theres anything wrong with that, it just depends on how serious you
take the hobby. Like the M3 foundation licence. It suits a lot of people

who
are.. disillusioned with CB and want to go Amateur but not really wishing

get so involved with the whole technical side of things. There are some

good
M3 people out there whatever the old school say, but i agree they will

never
be on a par with a full licence holder but is that such a terrible thing.

I don't have any problem with the ones that just want to talk. There are
many good hams in public service providing communications for emergencies.
I know one ham that got his license many years ago so he could fly his radio
controled airplane and use 6 meters where there were few others using that
frequency.

I do wish that the test could be hands on for a few simple things such as
installing a coax connector and and using a simple SWR meter. Also it
should be required to have a ARRL handbook or equivilent in the shack.
Would not even have to be a new one, but one 10 years old would be ok. Not
that many would really read it but it could answer some simple questions.

Old November 8th 05, 08:11 AM
Spike

Ralph Mowery wrote:

Also it
should be required to have a ARRL handbook or equivilent in the shack.
Would not even have to be a new one, but one 10 years old would be ok. Not
that many would really read it but it could answer some simple questions.

My Handbook (not ARRL) is much older, but I wasn't aware of any change
in the physics in the interim. Why choose ten years? The Admiralty
handbook is still relevant - and can answer questions - even if the
units have changed. You appear to be a newcomer.

from
Aero Spike
Old November 8th 05, 12:47 PM

"The Magnum" wrote in message
I wonder where the law stands as far as CB radio's go. Are CB's

allowed
be repaired by the average CB'er who has the knowledge or are they

only
repairable by a qualified technician of some kind. I ask along the

lines
of
the UK but would find the answer for America just as interesting.

I'm not sure why this thread is even being cross-posted into a CB group,

but

Because its a question about CB's ??????????

No, not your question, the whole thread, which was a rant about "Ham Radio".
Had nothing to do with CB, except for a brief reference.

Old November 8th 05, 01:25 PM
[...]

OK, if you want to get technical, a "license" per-say is not needed, though
they still need to be "certified as technically qualified to perform
transmitter maintenance and repair duties in the private land mobile
services and fixed services by an organization or committee representative
of users in those services." - Reference FCC Part 95, Section 95.424
subsection "b".

And as the question that was asked, in relation to the US:
"Are CB's allowed to be repaired by the average CB'er who has the knowledge
or are they only repairable by a qualified technician of some kind[?]"
The answer to the first part of the question is still NO, and the second
part is still, YES. The "average CB'er who has the knowledge" can NOT
service their own CB, legally. They would need to be "certified" to do so
"by an organization or committee representative of users in [the CB
service]."

Old November 8th 05, 05:18 PM
The Magnum

[...]

I quite agree. I also personally think to obtain a CB licence (UK im talking
here) there should be a small test.. nothing complicated, just wiring on a
PL259 correctly and how to use a SWR meter (as you say for Amateur too).
Thats two basic things ive seen either ignored or very badly done.. ie.
someone twisting the inner and outer of the co-ax together and shoving it
through the hole in the PL.... then they wonder why the radio they just
bought off you wont get out.... or someone say..swred an antenna?? whats
that then?? sheesh..
Exceedingly unlikely now as to all intents and purposes the CB band isnt of
interest to the authorities that be.
Oh well...............

Old November 8th 05, 05:23 PM
The Magnum

"The Magnum" wrote in message
I wonder where the law stands as far as CB radio's go. Are CB's

allowed
be repaired by the average CB'er who has the knowledge or are they

only
repairable by a qualified technician of some kind. I ask along the

lines
of
the UK but would find the answer for America just as interesting.

I'm not sure why this thread is even being cross-posted into a CB

group,
but

Because its a question about CB's ??????????

No, not your question, the whole thread, which was a rant about "Ham

Radio".
Had nothing to do with CB, except for a brief reference.

Oh right.... mind you theres that much Ham stuff on the website is it a
problem? I just read it with some interest and ask points that i think might
be relevent. Theres more stuff about liars and army service on this group
though for some reason. That i dont get.
Regards,
Graham