Old November 8th 05, 11:44 PM
Ralph Mowery

Default The FAQ - because no-one has an alternative one.

"Spike" wrote in message

Ralph Mowery wrote:

Also it
should be required to have a ARRL handbook or equivilent in the shack.
Would not even have to be a new one, but one 10 years old would be ok.

Not
that many would really read it but it could answer some simple questions.

My Handbook (not ARRL) is much older, but I wasn't aware of any change
in the physics in the interim. Why choose ten years? The Admiralty
handbook is still relevant - and can answer questions - even if the
units have changed. You appear to be a newcomer.

from
Aero Spike

The 10 year number for the book was just one out of the air. Older would
have been just fine. My first ARRL hand book was bought in 1966. I did
not get a ham license untuil about 1972. Had a 1 st class radiotelephone
license around the same time. I have only used RTTY with an old mechanical
unit, been keeping up a repeater for close to 30 years, I did write a rtty
program for an old 8080 processor when I got tired of hearing the noise,
used a few of the newer digital modes with the computer, worked a few of the
OSCARs, active on 144 and 432 ssb. I do work some of the low bands also.
Guess that still makes me a newcomer to many.

Old November 9th 05, 08:39 AM
Spike

Ralph Mowery wrote:

"Spike" wrote:

My Handbook (not ARRL) is much older, but I wasn't aware of any change
in the physics in the interim. Why choose ten years? The Admiralty
handbook is still relevant - and can answer questions - even if the
units have changed. You appear to be a newcomer.

The 10 year number for the book was just one out of the air.

The problem with that is it essentially means that every now and then,
in order to keep within the licence terms, one has to purchase a book.

Here in the UK we have problems with an organisation that has put
itself in the position of 'representing all UK amateurs', and which
sells books. It clearly does not do the former, and merely to add to
its coffers as part of the licencing conditions is a battle which it
has recently fought and looks like losing heavily.

Older would have been just fine.
My first ARRL hand book was bought in 1966.

Then why specify a time limit? Or even to have such a book in the
first place?

I did
not get a ham license untuil about 1972. Had a 1 st class radiotelephone
license around the same time. I have only used RTTY with an old mechanical
unit, been keeping up a repeater for close to 30 years, I did write a rtty
program for an old 8080 processor when I got tired of hearing the noise,
used a few of the newer digital modes with the computer, worked a few of the
OSCARs, active on 144 and 432 ssb. I do work some of the low bands also.
Guess that still makes me a newcomer to many.

There is nothing wrong with your Amateur CV. The issue - at least for
us in the UK - is the grasping self-interest of the 'national
society', which has been so clearly revealed by recent events, and to
which your proposal would add succour; that was really the point of my
post.

from
Aero Spike
Old November 9th 05, 10:20 AM
Roy Lewallen

How come all the self-proclaimed "real amateurs" huffing and puffing on
this thread sign their postings only with a "handle" and not a call
sign? Are they really amateurs at all?

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old November 9th 05, 11:29 PM
Ralph Mowery

OK, if you want to get technical, a "license" per-say is not needed,

though
they still need to be "certified as technically qualified to perform
transmitter maintenance and repair duties in the private land mobile
services and fixed services by an organization or committee representative
of users in those services." - Reference FCC Part 95, Section 95.424
subsection "b".

And as the question that was asked, in relation to the US:
"Are CB's allowed to be repaired by the average CB'er who has the

knowledge
or are they only repairable by a qualified technician of some kind[?]"
The answer to the first part of the question is still NO, and the second
part is still, YES. The "average CB'er who has the knowledge" can NOT
service their own CB, legally. They would need to be "certified" to do so
"by an organization or committee representative of users in [the CB
service]."

Don't leave out the word "should". It does not say MUST.

Old November 10th 05, 05:40 AM

There are two extremely legitimate reason for using a nym on the net,
even if one is a ham: privacy and safety. Need I say more?

Old November 11th 05, 07:37 AM

But there is no such thing as true UK cuisine, it is all bangers and
wellingtons and steak and kidney pie washed down with lots and lots and
lots of Guiness.

But enough about Brits, who are otherwise creators of fine cars, time
traveler shows, absurdist sitcoms, and who invented the art of sarcasm.

The Eternal Squire

Old November 11th 05, 05:53 PM
The Magnum

wrote in message
oups.com...
But there is no such thing as true UK cuisine, it is all bangers and
wellingtons and steak and kidney pie washed down with lots and lots and
lots of Guiness.

But enough about Brits, who are otherwise creators of fine cars, time
traveler shows, absurdist sitcoms, and who invented the art of sarcasm.

The Eternal Squire

I thought Guinness was the drink of the Irish... I personally cant stand the
stuff, surely its a "nice cup of tea"... Steak and Kidney is Rank...Much
better mince beef and onion, or chicken and mushroom where it comes to
pies... As for fine cars?? that surely is sarcasm ;o) .... "you have learned
well young Jedi"...
Regards,
Graham