Old November 16th 05, 01:21 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default CB antenna for my house...Deed restriction...

I live in a deed restricted community where CB antennas are not
permitted to be erected. I need a low profile antenna - one that will
not bring attention to the homeowners association. I want something
better than an indoor antenna. I was thinking about one that I can
just put out on the grass in my backyard like on a ground plane or
something. I want to talk. Any ideas?

Old November 16th 05, 09:15 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Where can I buy this stuff?

Old November 16th 05, 10:21 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Vinnie S.

On 16 Nov 2005 13:15:57 -0800, wrote:

Where can I buy this stuff?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Indoor-Dipole-CB...QQcmdZViewItem

Use 100% shielded coax like Belden 9913 or equiv, to minimize TVI

Or if you want to build it yourself:

Or calculate here using 27.200 MHz as a center frequency

http://www.scanshack.com/antcal.htm#dipole

or

http://home.att.net/~wizardoz/cbmw/antenna_fabri.html

Coax Cable Vertical CB Antennas

For a quickie CB antenna, a vertical dipole (1/2) wave can be made right from
the coax itself You take your coax and very carefully, without nicking the
braided shield, strip 102 inches of the outer insulation jacket off one end.
After removing the outer jacket, start bunching the shield down the coax from
the end. Now, where the outer jacket and the shield meet, separate the braided
shield enough to get the inner conductor out through the hole in the braid. Pull
all of the inner conductor through and stretch it and the braid out. Be careful
not to skin any of the insulation off the inner conductor. Now attach an antenna
insulator to the end of the inner conductor. Measure the braided shield. Cut it
off at about 106" and attach an antenna insulator to the end. The total length
of the inner and outer conductor should be about 17 feet (1/2 wave). You can
haul it up to any height you want with a string or rope attached to the
insulator on the center conductor. It's a good idea to coat the end of the coax
cable where it separates with some kind of waterproof sealer. This keeps water
from seeping into the coax, which could cause a high SWR.

Just attach a coax connector on the end of the coax going to your transceiver
and you are on the air. The SWR should be 1.5 or better, if cut to the proper
length. It'll get out about as good as a ¼ wave ground plane CB radio antenna if
you get it up high and in the clear. Do not hoist this antenna up next to a
metal pole, because the metal will interfere with the antenna's operation and
cause a high SWR.

Vinnie S.

Old November 16th 05, 02:43 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

I thought about a 18 foot Dipole between my trees but my neighbors are
very nosy. Perhaps I can secure the Dipole on my roof.

Old November 17th 05, 12:59 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Vinnie S recommended the Dipole in the link below. The only thing is I
dont know if it can it be used outdoor. Its insulated so I dont see
why it cant be.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Indoor-Dipole-CB...QQcmdZViewItem

Im thinking that I would install it on my roof toward the back of the
house in the "T" configuration as you recommend tying the ends down to
the sides of the house like in the eaves under the garage. Then Im
thinking to run the coax back on either side of the Dipole, down the
corner of the house where it will go into the house. It will be out of
the sight of the home owners association people.

Old November 17th 05, 01:28 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Vinnie S.

On 17 Nov 2005 04:59:07 -0800, wrote:

Vinnie S recommended the Dipole in the link below. The only thing is I
dont know if it can it be used outdoor. Its insulated so I dont see
why it cant be.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Indoor-Dipole-CB...QQcmdZViewItem

Im thinking that I would install it on my roof toward the back of the
house in the "T" configuration as you recommend tying the ends down to
the sides of the house like in the eaves under the garage. Then Im
thinking to run the coax back on either side of the Dipole, down the
corner of the house where it will go into the house. It will be out of
the sight of the home owners association people.

You can use it outdoors, easily. You must seal the coax feed so water and ice
don't get in at the feed point. It is perfectly ok if either leg of the dipole
gets wet.

Also, like Chad said, make a balun, which is a coiling your coax right before
the feed point. The coax should be coiled 10 turns in a 6 inch radius. And use
100% sheilded coax. I use Davis Bury-flex. LMR-400 is good, but very stiff.
Belden 9913 is good, but not as good outdoors as the Bury-Flex.

If you was to save some money, just use the coax itself as the dipole. Once you
separate the center wire from the braid, that is the star of you dipole. That
needs to be about 102-104 inches long. The center wire is easy, but separating
the braid is a pain in the ass. So cut about 1 inched of braid, and solder a
wire to the braid, like 14 gauge from Home Depot. Remember, the length should be
cut long, and then cut shorter to match up and get low SWR. Is alwasy easier to
cut shorter, and to make longer.

Vinnie S.
Old November 18th 05, 01:37 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
Scott in Baltimore

http://www.qsl.net/iz7ath/web/02_bre.../pag01_eng.htm