Old December 13th 05, 09:20 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default radio reccomendations?

I have my ham ticket, and I'd like to outfit my car with a CB to
monitor CB as well - if only to listen in, or possibly more. I'm big
on keeping things organized on my car, and have a detachable face Icom
IC-208h with the head mounted where the ashtray was... and would like
to pull off something similar with a CB.

But, I can't seem to find a CB with a detachable face... the 79-290's
face detaches for theft protection, not to operate. So then I think of
getting the 75-822, and letting it scan in some inconspicuous location
with power from the car, and an antenna fed from the outside (all part
of the 'vehicle adapter'). I like it, because it also offers
portability... but, now I've got no SSB.

So - is there a 'full featured' CB available? Anyone have something to
reccommend (without flames)? If the detachable face isn't available,
what's a good CB with SSB and small size?

And, possible PA hookup and WX?

OK - YES, I realize that I'm asking for everything in one rig... scan,
ssb, detachable face (or small size), PA, WX... but I'm going to keep
looking... Anyone have any suggestions on the closest to this if
there's not one with it all?

Thanks,

Richard

Old December 13th 05, 09:04 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Chad Wahls

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It's not a "CB" but "you know", it has no PA or Detachable face. BUT the
Magnum 257 is killer, it has wonderful SSB performance, scan and the other
features you need. Best of all it's basically a HTX-10, a wonderful 10M
transceiver. So if you have HF privileges and you do not transmit on 11M
then it would be ideal for you and possibly more economical since it will
serve a dual purpose.

A scanner will also pick up CB

Chad

Old December 15th 05, 11:14 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
DrDeath

wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Yet he will own one anyway. Try to stop him.

Old December 16th 05, 04:27 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
The Magnum

"DrDeath" wrote in message
wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Lots of ill eagles recently... I blame the bird flu........

Regards and Merry X-Mas,
Graham
--
_._. _... ._. ._ _.. .. _ _ _

Radio is only a Hobby. Don't let it rule your life...

73's - Graham (www.open-channel.co.uk)

Old December 13th 05, 11:42 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
U-Know-Who

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The radio you want is the Icom 706 MKIIG. It should fill all your needs
nicely.

Old December 14th 05, 07:26 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

the 706MKIIG can broacast 11m? can i tell it not to go over 4w, or is
this a mod?

Old December 14th 05, 08:23 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Dungeon Master

That is a modified Amateur Radio radio. Not type accepted on CB. Not to
mention, if caught, you could loose the rig and more importantly, your
license (No flames please).
On a side note, most modern amateur rigs do not perform well on AM
without a lot fussing around. They are produced to transmit low level
AM where the modulation is introduced before the final amp. You would
get better reports from a transmitter that is high level or where the
modulation is introduced at the final stage.
I also recall that there was a remote mounted 40 Channel AM/SSB CB
produced that contained all the functions in the microphone. There
weren't many of these produced due to being harder to modify for "extra
channels". I think it was produced by Midland?? Maybe someone in the
group here will remember it.

Old December 15th 05, 02:29 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Chad Wahls

"Dungeon Master" wrote in message
ups.com...
That is a modified Amateur Radio radio. Not type accepted on CB. Not to
mention, if caught, you could loose the rig and more importantly, your
license (No flames please).
On a side note, most modern amateur rigs do not perform well on AM
without a lot fussing around. They are produced to transmit low level
AM where the modulation is introduced before the final amp. You would
get better reports from a transmitter that is high level or where the
modulation is introduced at the final stage.
I also recall that there was a remote mounted 40 Channel AM/SSB CB
produced that contained all the functions in the microphone. There
weren't many of these produced due to being harder to modify for "extra
channels". I think it was produced by Midland?? Maybe someone in the
group here will remember it.

It's not illegal till you press the little button on the side of the mic.
Then you can be in deep doo-doo, IF someone catches you which is highly
unlikely because to will probably splatter MUCH less . An amatuer rig
that covers 11M for receive only is just fine.

Chad