Old February 20th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
Jack O'Neill

Default FA: LAFAYETTE HA-600A HAM / SHORTWAVE 98% MINT

Hi all, posting this for a friend.

Lafayette HA-600A is a ham / shortwave radio from the early 1970's.
It will receive CB, AM and SSB.
This one is super clean and great working.
Take a look if you like.
73s

Old February 21st 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default LAFAYETTE HA-600A HAM / SHORTWAVE 98% MINT

That is a gorgeous radio. They just don't make them like that anymore. I'm
still clinging onto my Realistic DX-150 owned it over twenty-five years.
Saved up as a High School student to pay for the radio.Wife still looks at
me funny tuning SWL on a 80' dipole strung in my yard.

Old February 22nd 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
Frank Gilliland

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 13:50:24 -0500, wrote in
:

That is a gorgeous radio. They just don't make them like that anymore.

Nope, single-conversion receivers aren't too popular these days unless
they are intended to be saved as antiques.

The HA-600A is ok for a beginner's receiver but lacks quite a bit for
any serious listening. The audio bandwidth is kinda wide making it
hard sometimes to seperate stations. Single conversion means LOTS of
image signals, so a preselector or tunable preamp is a good idea (the
Ameco PT-2 works great with this radio!). The tuning mechanism is a
little fussy, but a little sticky-wax on the shaft makes the string
stick better. The radios need frequent alignments (especially on the
10.5 - 30 MHz spread, which is not very sensitive to begin with), but
-DO NOT- try to align it without the manual and proper equipment!
Also, that 10.5 - 30 MHz spread is really tight above 25 MHz, so if
you want to use it for CB then you should think about tuning the 10m
bandspread down to that range. Another thing -- the switch knobs are
too smooth to get a good grip, making them hard to turn. I had to swap
the knobs on mine just to make it usable. The radio -does- have a
'remote' connector so it can be used with a transmitter, but you need
to ground the RF input with a coax relay and mount it close to the
receiver or you'll nuke your front end.

I like the radio because it works exceptionally well on 150 - 400 kHz.
That's about all.

I'm
still clinging onto my Realistic DX-150 owned it over twenty-five years.
Saved up as a High School student to pay for the radio.Wife still looks at
me funny tuning SWL on a 80' dipole strung in my yard.

I have a DX-160 myself. It's another radio that's very good for
beginners (or collectors).