Old March 7th 06, 06:08 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
JonnyBNB

Default Cobra 18 WX ST - TX Distortion

My brother in law and I were tuning a new antenna for his Cobra 18 WX
ST and when we got the SWR as low as we could, tried it out. As he got
further away during a test run I encouraged him to speak up because he
wasn't getting decent modulation. When he did the result was pulsating
oscillations that obscured his audio.

I'm an audio guy, but I mix rock concerts. The type of squealing I
usually deal with is some jerk guitar player wanting 130 dB SPL from
his monitor wedges. There's not any possibility for audio feedback in
this case, my rig was two miles away from his and he doesn't have
talkback.

At any rate, the question is, would replacing the audio amp chip do the
trick, is the part readily available, and is it anything a guy with
plenty of soldering experience couldn't tackle.

Thanks in advance...
Jon

Old March 7th 06, 07:09 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
Scott in Baltimore

JonnyBNB wrote:
My brother in law and I were tuning a new antenna for his Cobra 18 WX
ST and when we got the SWR as low as we could, tried it out. As he got
further away during a test run I encouraged him to speak up because he
wasn't getting decent modulation. When he did the result was pulsating
oscillations that obscured his audio.

1:1 SWR does not mean resonance.
It just means you've made the antenna about 50 ohms. You are probably
getting RF down the shield of the coax and causing RF feedback. You
need to decouple the antenna from the shield with a proper ground plane.

Are you sure you didn't pull the ground loose from the base of the antenna
or the crimped on PL-259? If this is a mobile installation on a trunk lip,
don't trust the hinges to have a good RF ground. I guess this is a magmount?

Since you didn't describe your antenna, we can't help any more then this.

I'm an audio guy, but I mix rock concerts. The type of squealing I
usually deal with is some jerk guitar player wanting 130 dB SPL from
his monitor wedges. There's not any possibility for audio feedback in
this case, my rig was two miles away from his and he doesn't have
talkback.

And I have hundreds of GB of lossless music and am a shn/circ manager
at db.etree.org and also a moderator of a major BT site. When a famous
old band played locally, the main man made sure I was on the guest list!

At any rate, the question is, would replacing the audio amp chip do the
trick, is the part readily available, and is it anything a guy with
plenty of soldering experience couldn't tackle.

No, replacing the amp chip won't help. Fixing the antenna's problem will.

Try your local library for an ARRL handbook. It should be somewhere around 621.
Old March 7th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Frank Gilliland

On 6 Mar 2006 22:08:15 -0800, "JonnyBNB" wrote in
.com:

My brother in law and I were tuning a new antenna for his Cobra 18 WX
ST and when we got the SWR as low as we could, tried it out. As he got
further away during a test run I encouraged him to speak up because he
wasn't getting decent modulation.

Are you sure the problem was lack of modulation and not lack of
carrier signal strength?

When he did the result was pulsating
oscillations that obscured his audio.

Motorboating? Sounds like it might be a power supply deficiency.

I'm an audio guy, but I mix rock concerts. The type of squealing I
usually deal with is some jerk guitar player wanting 130 dB SPL from
his monitor wedges. There's not any possibility for audio feedback in
this case, my rig was two miles away from his and he doesn't have
talkback.

I don't get too much monitor feedback, but then I work smaller rooms.
When someone cranks their monitor it usually messes up the room's EQ
and I have to dial in a compromise between the monitor and the PA.

At any rate, the question is, would replacing the audio amp chip do the
trick, is the part readily available, and is it anything a guy with
plenty of soldering experience couldn't tackle.

A new audio amp probably won't change anything. Check your power
supply. You should be getting a steady 13.6 - 14 volts to the radio
and it shouldn't change under full modulation. If the signal is weak,
make sure your antenna is installed properly (good grounds & cable).
Get a bigger antenna if necessary.

Old March 9th 06, 05:45 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
JonnyBNB

Thanks, grounded the deck lid and it's getting out much better.

Old March 9th 06, 06:21 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
Scott in Baltimore

JonnyBNB wrote:
Thanks, grounded the deck lid and it's getting out much better.

Glad to hear it. It's always the simple stuff...

Cobra 200 GTL DX VS Cobra 2000 GTL [email protected] CB 4 February 6th 06 08:05 PM
5.070 distortion lsmyer Shortwave 4 August 9th 04 09:36 PM
Cobra AT-35 antenna power Chris CB 3 April 15th 04 09:26 PM
Optimod 8200 distortion problem Chris Broadcasting 0 January 2nd 04 05:42 PM
Cobra 18 WX ST II vs. Cobra 75 WX ST All-in-handset -numbskull CB 0 December 13th 03 05:01 AM