Old March 23rd 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
BIG BEN

Default cb radio

hi i may have made a mistake when i got my mobile radio today i wanted
to use my radio at home i don't have a car what should i do take it back
?

Old March 24th 06, 07:41 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
Paul Johnson

BIG BEN wrote:

hi i may have made a mistake when i got my mobile radio today i wanted
to use my radio at home i don't have a car what should i do take it back
?

Just get yourself an AC to DC inverter, from there the hardware you need
should become immediately clear.

--
Paul Johnson
Email and IM (XMPP & Google Talk):
Old March 24th 06, 08:14 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
Scott in Baltimore

BIG BEN wrote:
hi i may have made a mistake when i got my mobile radio today i wanted
to use my radio at home i don't have a car what should i do take it back
?

You need a 12 volt (actually it's 13.8 VDC) power supply.
Where are you? I've got two 12 amp Pyramids here for sale.
Old March 24th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
BIG BEN

as you may all raedy know i'm new at this what are you asking for it

Old March 24th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Scott in Baltimore

BIG BEN wrote:
as you may all raedy know i'm new at this what are you asking for it

I'm asking $40. They are heavy so shipping would be expensive. That's
why I asked where you are. You can tell where I am. Another question,
what do you intend to use for an antenna? A CB needs at least a 1/4
wave to get out. A back of set antenna, or a mobile antenna without
a car won't cut it. An Antron 99 is a marginal half wave dipole that
allows a l ot of signal to feed down the shield of the coax causing
you and your neighbors a lot of grief when you bleed into the household
electronics. A quarterwave groundplane would work better then an A-99.

A quarter wave at 27.185 MHz is about 8.5 feet. A 1/4 wave needs 18
feet of radial space around the base of it.

Building antennas at 11 meters are big items. 2 meter antennas are
much smaller and easier to work with. (of course you'd need a ham
ticket to use 2 meters)
Old March 24th 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Dr.Death

"Scott in Baltimore" wrote in message
. ..

BIG BEN wrote:
[...]

A Star Duster has a small footprint for tight spaces. I liked mine a lot. I
don't know about how well the clones work though.

Old March 25th 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
BIG BEN

that sounds like a lot of work i think i should take it back thanks
anyway for the help how much those a ham ticket cost an were do i go to
get one

Old March 26th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
Scott in Baltimore

BIG BEN wrote:
that sounds like a lot of work i think i should take it back thanks
anyway for the help how much those a ham ticket cost an were do i go to
get one

A ham ticket is free. The VEC can charge a few bucks as a testing fee.

Here's a quote from W5YI-VEC:
"Volunteer examiners are permitted to charge a fee to recover their out-of-pocket costs in
administering an examination. The current examination fee is $14.00. Applicants may take as
many examinations elements as they can successfully pass for the one fee. Another fee is
charged to retake a failed examination."

There is a local club that doesn't charge for the tests. That's where I went.
I found it by accident when I decided to take the test. If they ever drop the
code, I'll go back for my general and give them a donation for their efforts.
Old March 24th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Dr.Death

BIG BEN wrote:
hi i may have made a mistake when i got my mobile radio today i wanted
to use my radio at home i don't have a car what should i do take it back
?

You need a 12 volt (actually it's 13.8 VDC) power supply.
Where are you? I've got two 12 amp Pyramids here for sale.

Normally I hate Pyramid products, but I have Gold series 25 amp 6-15 volt
adjustable that works great. I got lucky at a pawn shop and stole it for
$20.