Old June 22nd 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.amateur.policy
an old friend

Default Power plug standards and pin outs

Tyrone LeRoy Washington wrote:
"an old friend" wrote in message
oups.com...

Tyrone LeRoy Washington wrote:
"DrDeath" wrote in message

SHUT UP,STUPID!

the thread is about cb power plug NO ham content

**** YOU AND YO' MAMMY 2 !

Old June 23rd 06, 12:20 AM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.amateur.policy
DrDeath

"Tyrone LeRoy Washington" wrote in message

"an old friend" wrote in message
oups.com...

Tyrone LeRoy Washington wrote:
"DrDeath" wrote in message

SHUT UP,STUPID!

theread is about cb power plug NO ham content

**** YOU AND YO' MAMMY 2 !

And I posted it in a CB newsgroup. I guess the info was too complicated for
you to comprehend. I would draw you a picture, but this is a non-binary
group.

Old June 24th 06, 10:59 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
DrDeath

"Peter" wrote in message
"DrDeath" wrote...

I've seen the other pin used with a yellow wire that was supposed to be
tied
hot at all times to retain the channel memory, but I forget what model
and
brand that was.

Maxon?
I believe that is where I have seen it done that way, but there may also
be Midland type radios
with it wired that way.

I was thinking Midland, but it was a long time ago when I saw it. Could be a
Maxon, your guess is as good as mine. But that's the only thing I have ever
seen it used for unless it was a modification someone made. I think some of
the power lead plugs in the past had small screws allowing you access to the
inside of the plug. What I don't get is why CBs still have a PA switch and
jack, even the cheapest of the cheap have them. I rarely see anyone have it
hooked up and can count on one hand the amount of times I've seen it used.
I'm glad the switch is there though, it comes in handy.

Old June 27th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
Peter

"DrDeath" wrote...
"Peter" wrote...

Maxon?
I believe that is where I have seen it done that way, but there may also
be Midland type radios
with it wired that way.

I was thinking Midland, but it was a long time ago when I saw it. Could be a
Maxon, your guess is as good as mine.

Maxon, Maxcom, Controm, Midland... like many other "brands", same crud with a different name on
it.

I decided to take a look at the diagrams, it was Maxon...
Maxon MX-1000
Maxon MX-2000
both have the middle pin wired for memory.

But the circuits used, or variations of them, are probably in several other brands of CB. One
company designs and makes, many have their name placed on the front.

But that's the only thing I have ever
seen it used for unless it was a modification someone made. I think some of
the power lead plugs in the past had small screws allowing you access to the
inside of the plug. What I don't get is why CBs still have a PA switch and
jack, even the cheapest of the cheap have them. I rarely see anyone have it
hooked up and can count on one hand the amount of times I've seen it used.
I'm glad the switch is there though, it comes in handy.

I can only remember ever seeing one or two people with it set up. More often, people think
their radio is knackered because they accidentally knocked the PA switch.
Maybe it is there as a cheap addition to the function list. Like with the latest software,
boasting about all the things it does, when the user will not even use 5% of the functions.
But the list looks impressive, and maybe sells the product.

Regards,
Peter.
http://www.citizensband.radiouk.com/

Old July 2nd 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

DrDeath wrote:

Feed the lights from the power switch and you can still use the dimmer for
talkback. If the center pin is not connected to anything (in most cases
it's not), you can still use it, but it will need to be switched or the
lights will remain on when the unit is off. I would go with using the
power switch to control your lights.

The other question then becomes, what is the official name/brand of those
plugs so I can find the wiring end with the third pin. I flipped through
digikey and mouser and didn't see it.

Old July 3rd 06, 10:46 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

"Eugene Nine" wrote in message
news:5d6dnYQWac36vTXZnZ2dnUVZ_sednZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
DrDeath wrote:

Feed the lights from the power switch and you can still use the dimmer
for
talkback. If the center pin is not connected to anything (in most cases
it's not), you can still use it, but it will need to be switched or the
lights will remain on when the unit is off. I would go with using the
power switch to control your lights.

The other question then becomes, what is the official name/brand of those
plugs so I can find the wiring end with the third pin. I flipped through
digikey and mouser and didn't see it.

Since you are going to feed it unswitched power, you can bridge the positive
and empty center pin together and use the 2 conductor plug. My guess is you
will have a hard time finding one with 3 leads. I still like the idea of
coming off the power switch so you can turn the lights out when you turn the
unit off.

Old July 3rd 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

DrDeath wrote:

Feed the lights from the power switch and you can still use the dimmer
for
talkback. If the center pin is not connected to anything (in most cases
it's not), you can still use it, but it will need to be switched or the
lights will remain on when the unit is off. I would go with using the
power switch to control your lights.

The other question then becomes, what is the official name/brand of those
plugs so I can find the wiring end with the third pin. I flipped through
digikey and mouser and didn't see it.

Since you are going to feed it unswitched power, you can bridge the
positive and empty center pin together and use the 2 conductor plug. My
guess is you will have a hard time finding one with 3 leads. I still like
the idea of coming off the power switch so you can turn the lights out
when you turn the unit off.

I would loose the dimming ability, I was going to feed the gauge
backlighting then probably switch it off and on via a small relay
controlled by the CB power switch. When out on my parents farm in WV I do
need to dim all my lights a bit since there are not street lights or other
ambient light.

Old July 5th 06, 11:15 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

"Eugene Nine" wrote in message
news:yNadnbiPP_BvFzTZnZ2dnUVZ_sSdnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...

DrDeath wrote:

[...]

Quote "Sounds like there isn't much of a standard then. I was wanting to
use it to
feed power in for the lights on the front and then use the dimmer knob for
the lights for something like a talkback circuit."

So what exactly are you wanting to use the knob for, lights or talkback?