Old September 4th 06, 12:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

Default Packet BBS?

A new amateur has asked me about packet radio bbs's and I have no idea
how to respond. He is interested in knowing about the bbs system and I'm
thinking he is about 10 years too late. He is located in North Texas in
the DFW area. Anyone know of any bbs systems available in that region?
Old September 19th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

I dont think anyone has used a packet BBS in 7 or 8 years. Maybe you should
steer him into HF digital modes like PSK31 and the like, if he has the
license for it.

There are a few AMPR net BBS's still online. Search google for them. I dont
know any in Texas, but he can TELNET in from the internet and talk to
amateurs around the world and via radio.

Just a thought!
. ..

Old September 20th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Indy ham wrote:

I dont think anyone has used a packet BBS in 7 or 8 years. Maybe you should
steer him into HF digital modes like PSK31 and the like, if he has the
license for it.

There are a few AMPR net BBS's still online. Search google for them. I dont
know any in Texas, but he can TELNET in from the internet and talk to
amateurs around the world and via radio.

Just a thought!
"Gary" wrote in message
. ..
A new amateur has asked me about packet radio bbs's and I have no idea how
to respond. He is interested in knowing about the bbs system and I'm
thinking he is about 10 years too late. He is located in North Texas in the
DFW area. Anyone know of any bbs systems available in that region?

Just one more thought. Packet BBS is used on all Militry PBBS
boards in conjunction with All MARS types. It also has HF
capability on Packet, Pactor, Ale, etc. Pactor on HF was the most
used until ALE pushed it aside recently. I still use VHF packet
and Digicom software almost daily with ABM6USA here at Schofield
Barracks Signal Corps Station. AS for those weird psk31,
mtty, and 3 or 4 other formats I gave them a shot and for msg
tfc handling they were 90% worthless. No ARQ builtin hence
msg traffic had errors too often to even mention them.
Joe ABM6JF MBO for winlink 2.9 PBBS MARS PBBS