RadioBanter

-   Digital (https://www.radiobanter.com/digital/)
-   -   Governor Romney dismissed role of Amateur Radio Operators in Emergencies. (https://www.radiobanter.com/digital/129477-governor-romney-dismissed-role-amateur-radio-operators-emergencies.html)

laborkei January 16th 08 06:34 PM

Governor Romney dismissed role of Amateur Radio Operators in Emergencies.

Attention all Amateur Operators.
Please Read, and send your comments to the ARRL and Romney Website.

Wednesday 16 November 2005 @ 15:48:10 | Eastern Massachusetts ARRL Romney
'Disses' Amateur Radio In
Televised Town Meeting Posted on Wednesday16 November 2005 @ 15:48:10

Governor Mitt Romney dismissed the role of Amateur Radio operators in
emergency communications
during a televised 'town meeting' program last night on WCVB's 'When
Disaster Strikes: Segment Two.'
The program featured public safety and volunteer organization officials
from
across Massachusetts
among its audience.

Host and moderator Natalie Jacobson asked an increasingly-agitated Governor
Romney questions about
communications interoperability, and communication without commercial
power.
Romney was next asked
by Jacobson, '...so does it come down to ham radio?...'

The Governor replied in a disgusted tone, 'No, we don't need to deal with
ham radio operators...'

Embarrassed public safety officials later tried to put in a good word for
Amateur Radio. National
Weather Service Warning Coordination Meteorologist Glenn Field was prepared
to state the importance
of Amateur Radio, when Salvation Army Colonel Fred Van Brunt was called
upon. Van Brunt remarked
about his organization's quest to improve its communications capabilities
and how Amateur Radio has
aided his organization. 'The ham radio situation helps a great deal,' he
stated.

'I have already written and submitted a letter to the Governor's Office,'
wrote Eastern MA Section
Emergency Coordinator Rob Macedo, KD1CY. 'I have also written an email to
Natalie Jacobson.'

ARRL Section Manager Mike Neilsen, W1MPN sent a section-wide email today to
all Eastern MA ARRL
members describing the incident along with actions he and his staff were
taking to mitigate the
situation.

'[Romney's] attitude about us sets an unfortunate tone within the state's
executive branch,' wrote
Neilsen. 'As a former military officer, I see this as a failure in
leadership. My immediate concern
is our working relationship within the [Massachusetts Emergency Management
Team] environment.'
Neilsen intends to address the Governor's comments as 'an urgent matter' at
a meeting on November 17
with Don Carlton from the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency.

'I was very disturbed about what the Governor stated on the program,' wrote
Ron Wood, W1PLW, the
section's Public Information Coordinator. 'It does show that more work is
needed by all hams in the
section. It's a great idea to write letters explaining the good we do.'
Wood
is attempting to
schedule a meeting with the Governor's office tomorrow so that EMA ARRL
staffers might discuss the
matter further.

Tom Kinahan, N1CPE wrote that Governor Romney's comment has made 'a PR
problem' for Kinahan in his
role as MA State RACES Officer.

'I've got a roster of over 150 Amateur Radio operators that support local
communities, and those of
us that directly support the state government. There are at least double
that in terms of people
that are actually out there that I don't have formal paperwork on that
support Amateur Radio
emergency communications in some organized manner... The Governor has said
that he 'certainly
doesn't need to rely on ham radio' -- where does that leave the RACES
program now?'

'I am ashamed tonight that I am a Republican!' remarked one ham radio
viewer. '[Romney] speaks in
derogatory tones about hams. He certainly shows an ignorance as to what we
do and are capable of. I
suggest a grass roots campaign of local hams calling the State House and
The
Governor's Office to
protest.'

Clara Peller January 16th 08 08:14 PM

laborkei wrote:
[...]

One more good reason not to vote for him...but look at the bright side:
This will give him a chance to flip-flop again and say how much he likes
hams. ;-)

P.S. Even though I'm not a resident of the state of Massachusetts, I
wrote a letter of protest at the time. As a non-resident, you can
imagine how far it got.

John Smith January 16th 08 08:25 PM

Clara Peller wrote:

One more good reason not to vote for him...but look at the bright side:
This will give him a chance to flip-flop again and say how much he likes
hams. ;-)

P.S. Even though I'm not a resident of the state of Massachusetts, I
wrote a letter of protest at the time. As a non-resident, you can
imagine how far it got.

That is certainly one avenue to pursue; however, some roads lead to
better places than others.

How about a re-evaluation of us, our plans, our equip., etc. and instead
of finding fault with other--why they do not find our services
desirable, we ask the question, "What can we do to become
up-to-date-current and make our services desirable--to the point they
can't ignore us?"

But then, that stands a fat chance ...

Regards,
JS

Cecil Moore[_2_] January 16th 08 09:32 PM

John Smith wrote:
But then, that stands a fat chance ...

Where is Barry Goldwater when we need him?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Tom Donaly January 16th 08 10:18 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:
John Smith wrote:
But then, that stands a fat chance ...

Where is Barry Goldwater when we need him?

Right where he should be.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

John Smith January 16th 08 11:20 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:
John Smith wrote:
But then, that stands a fat chance ...

Where is Barry Goldwater when we need him?

Yeah, butt; Remember JFK, "Ask not what your country can do for you; Ask
what you can do for your country ..." (paraphrased, of course)

Regards,
JS

Captkumstainof20 January 17th 08 04:40 AM

Governor Romney dismissed role of Amateur Radio Operators inEmergencies.

Ummmmm...did you guys see the date on that "news release".

It was Nov of 2005. (2 years and 1 month ago)

Then again this seems to not be an issue with most hams.
Being several days late and $25 short is standard operating
procedure.
Heck most of the hams I hear on 75 Meters on a nightly basis
at night in 4 and 5 land still sound like their stuck in the 1940's
and 50's with all their
use of the N-word and racial tirades against Obama and Hillary and all
the other assorted
obsolete BS spewed out each evening. What else is new folks ?

John Smith January 17th 08 04:45 AM

Captkumstainof20 wrote:
Ummmmm...did you guys see the date on that "news release".

It was Nov of 2005. (2 years and 1 month ago)

Then again this seems to not be an issue with most hams.
Being several days late and $25 short is standard operating
procedure.
Heck most of the hams I hear on 75 Meters on a nightly basis
at night in 4 and 5 land still sound like their stuck in the 1940's
and 50's with all their
use of the N-word and racial tirades against Obama and Hillary and all
the other assorted
obsolete BS spewed out each evening. What else is new folks ?

What planet do you live on, I'll check it out--but, mind you, I am leery
.... say, are you of a humanoid life-form? ROFLOL

JS

Cecil Moore[_2_] January 17th 08 10:18 PM

Governor Romney dismissed role of Amateur Radio Operators inEmergencies.

Mr. Jim wrote:
Romney just lost my VOTE.

I suspect any rational vote would go to Ron Paul.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

John Smith January 17th 08 10:21 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:
Mr. Jim wrote:
Romney just lost my VOTE.

I suspect any rational vote would go to Ron Paul.

I suspect any rational mind would go with Ron Paul. He IS my hero,
'yanno? LOL

Too bad he ain't a ham.

Regards,
JS

John Smith January 17th 08 10:28 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:
Mr. Jim wrote:
Romney just lost my VOTE.

I suspect any rational vote would go to Ron Paul.

Cecil:

If you do nothing else, check out this youtube link:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=s08RJ2_o_MM

A man with a rational mind does much to restore faith in America. He
speaks of the "insanity" running rampant in America ...

Better yet, use the search on the youtube page and search for all the
vid clips on Ron Paul.

Regards,
JS

Cecil Moore[_2_] January 17th 08 10:29 PM

John Smith wrote:
I suspect any rational mind would go with Ron Paul. He IS my hero,
'yanno? LOL Too bad he ain't a ham.

It's not too late.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Cecil Moore[_2_] January 17th 08 10:39 PM

John Smith wrote:
If you do nothing else, check out this youtube link:

John, you are preaching to the choir. I've been a
"Libertarian" since before the Libertarian party
was created.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Tom Donaly January 18th 08 01:36 AM

Governor Romney dismissed role of Amateur Radio Operators inEmergencies.

AI4QJ wrote:
"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
.. .
Mr. Jim wrote:
Romney just lost my VOTE.

I suspect any rational vote would go to Ron Paul.

Absolutely.I am proud of my son who acquainted me with Ron Paul's material.
I used to be Constitution Party but in this case I am Republican...Ron Paul.

Yes, the Klan likes him, too.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

Tim Shoppa January 18th 08 01:57 PM

On Jan 16, 1:34*pm, "laborkei" wrote:
'I am ashamed tonight that I am a *Republican!' remarked one ham radio
viewer. '[Romney] speaks in
derogatory *tones about hams. He certainly shows an ignorance as to what we
do and are *capable of. I
suggest a grass roots campaign of local hams calling the State *House and
The
Governor's Office *to
protest.'

It's not ignorance - he's clearly in Motorola's back pocket, to take
away whatever ham spectrum he can to give to the big communications
cartels. All in the name of "emergency response", of course, but
anyone who can add up a couple bandwidths knows that the real need is
to give it to the cellphone companies.

The ARRL has to kind of pussyfoot around these issues because you
can't have hams being against the communications cartels as long as
"emergency responder radio" spectrum is their trump card.

Tim N3QE

John Smith January 18th 08 08:15 PM

Tim Shoppa wrote:

The ARRL has to kind of pussyfoot around these issues because you
can't have hams being against the communications cartels as long as
"emergency responder radio" spectrum is their trump card.

Tim N3QE

Everyone I know, who is "cutting edge", is ~1Ghz+. My 100W Ghz amp is
unbelievable--I am now constructing the 1KW (and I am telling you, there
ARE major design/construction problems to deal with!)--dreaming about 4KW!

HF is just too-too ...

Regards,
JS

jawod January 20th 08 05:02 AM

Governor Romney dismissed role of Amateur Radio Operators inEmergencies.

I am a Democrat. Even I can tell this is a smear job. Lots of
operatives out there with their "eyes on the prize". Don't be misled by
these emails. The gloves are off. Internet dispatches are ALL suspect.

We are all sailing in rough seas. In the end, each of us can pick the
candidate we are most comfortable with.

73,

John
AB8O

Carter-k8vt January 20th 08 12:20 PM

jawod wrote:
I am a Democrat. Even I can tell this is a smear job. Lots of
operatives out there with their "eyes on the prize". Don't be misled by
these emails. The gloves are off. Internet dispatches are ALL suspect.

We are all sailing in rough seas. In the end, each of us can pick the
candidate we are most comfortable with.

73,

John
AB8O

John,
I would respectfully beg to differ with you. This incident actually
happened a couple of years ago, -long- before he threw is hat in the
ring; no reason to 'smear' him back then...

You January 20th 08 07:06 PM

Governor Romney dismissed role of Amateur Radio Operators in Emergencies.

In article ,
Carter-k8vt wrote:

jawod wrote:
I am a Democrat. Even I can tell this is a smear job. Lots of
operatives out there with their "eyes on the prize". Don't be misled by
these emails. The gloves are off. Internet dispatches are ALL suspect.

We are all sailing in rough seas. In the end, each of us can pick the
candidate we are most comfortable with.

73,

John
AB8O

John,
I would respectfully beg to differ with you. This incident actually
happened a couple of years ago, -long- before he threw is hat in the
ring; no reason to 'smear' him back then...

You miss the point, the smear is NOW. Why bring up comments that are
two years OLD, NOW? To smear the guy, is the only reason.....

Carter-k8vt January 20th 08 09:55 PM

You wrote:

You miss the point, the smear is NOW.

No, 'You', I believe YOU miss the point. *Romney* said he did not like
ham radio operators. Words from *his* own mouth. Period.

Please tell me why -quoting- what HE ACTUALLY SAID is a smear...and if
by some stretch of the imagination, you manage to twist a direct quote
around as a being a smear, well then, Romney smeared himself. Finally,
are we to give him a free pass just because he said it 'x' number of
(years) (weeks) (days) ago?

Why bring up comments that are
two years OLD, NOW?

Well, because he never retracted the statement. Presumably then, these
are STILL his feelings towards hams. Again, does a negative statement he
makes just 'time out' and shouldn't be quoted after a certain period of
time even though he still stands by the statement? What period of time
would you suggest that after which, we just ignore what he said?

William O'Hara February 11th 08 01:41 PM

Governor Romney dismissed role of Amateur Radio Operators in Emergencies.

I would like to point out as a former Assistant RACES Officer for a local
community in Massachusetts, that Mr. Romney is absolutely correct.

The current EMA-ARRL structure co-exists with the STATE RACES Officer and
going nothing.

ARES has nets that do NOTHING. RACES does nothing. 85% of the
communities south of Boston do not have any active participation in the
RACES drills.

One of the studio engineers was a ham and threw out the question to
Jacobsen as something to hit Mr. Romney.

Frankly, MEMA is much better organized than everyone would think. A
total communications melt-down is impossible in Massachusetts due to
MEMA, SP and SG preparations. The Air Wing is ready to roll out portable
towers for cell phones. The SP has several rolling CC and backup towers
for the 800 Mhz system. Each town has the 800 Mhz radios provided by the
state.

Just so you know that some of those guys actually doing things are HAMs.
They learned by being hams. Yet, we don't need hams as a massive fodder
to materialize for the day of rescue. I would like to think Mr. Romney
is right about this as we are paying our TAX DOLLARS for service!

"laborkei" wrote in
:

Attention all Amateur Operators.
Please Read, and send your comments to the ARRL and Romney Website.

Wednesday 16 November 2005 @ 15:48:10 | Eastern Massachusetts ARRL
Romney 'Disses' Amateur Radio In
Televised Town Meeting Posted on Wednesday16 November 2005 @ 15:48:10

--
---
William O'Hara

Ask Me February 18th 08 05:50 PM

Governor Romney dismissed role of Amateur Radio Operators in Emergencies.

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 07:41:38 -0600, "William O'Hara"
wrote:

I would like to point out as a former Assistant RACES Officer for a local
community in Massachusetts, that Mr. Romney is absolutely correct.

The current EMA-ARRL structure co-exists with the STATE RACES Officer and
going nothing.

ARES has nets that do NOTHING. RACES does nothing. 85% of the
communities south of Boston do not have any active participation in the
RACES drills.

This seems to be true, there is an ARES net near me that does not do
any training but encourages parcipitants to do conversation after
everyone has checked in. In the course Emergency Communication I we
are discouraged from doing conversation during emergency communication
and encouraged to be brief and accurate with our communication.

John Ragland - KE6CQK

Ed Cregger February 18th 08 08:11 PM

Governor Romney dismissed role of Amateur Radio Operators in Emergencies.

And 'We The People' dismissed Guvna Romney. Now we're even.

Ed, NM2K

Joseph Fenn February 18th 08 08:12 PM

wrote:

I would like to point out as a former Assistant RACES Officer for a local
community in Massachusetts, that Mr. Romney is absolutely correct.

The current EMA-ARRL structure co-exists with the STATE RACES Officer and
going nothing.

ARES has nets that do NOTHING. RACES does nothing. 85% of the
communities south of Boston do not have any active participation in the
RACES drills.

This seems to be true, there is an ARES net near me that does not do
any training but encourages parcipitants to do conversation after
everyone has checked in. In the course Emergency Communication I we
are discouraged from doing conversation during emergency communication
and encouraged to be brief and accurate with our communication.

John Ragland - KE6CQK

Your all correct. MARS is doing nothing either except checkin nets
every other Saturday where no training is done. After 70 years
of AARS/MARS continuous service I droped out of it last year.
Only few people left on local nets, and mostly no training, just
idle conversation takes place.
Joe/KH6jF (formerly ABM6JF with MARS)

Eric Gordon February 26th 08 06:42 AM

Governor Romney dismissed role of Amateur Radio Operators in Emergencies.

WHAT A JACKASS. OOOPPPSSSSS SORRY, HE'S A REPUBLICAN. SORRY, NO OFFENSE
TO THE JACKASSES OF THE WORLD. HE'S AN INSULT TO HUMANITY, BUT NOT TOTALLY
UNEXPECTED FROM A REPUBLICAN
. ..

William O'Hara March 23rd 08 08:53 PM

Governor Romney dismissed role of Amateur Radio Operators in Emergencies.

"Ed Cregger" wrote in news:gDluj.74327$vt2.44983
@bignews8.bellsouth.net:

And 'We The People' dismissed Guvna Romney. Now we're even.

Ed, NM2K

Unforunately, you have no idea of the situation on the ground here. It is
petty to vote for someone other than Mr. Romney soley since he said that we
do not need the hams. He is quite correct. He never made a disparaging
remark about any hams. The Chronicle interviewer was unable to make any
concrete point to challenge Mr. Romney's assertation.

--
---

William O'Hara March 23rd 08 08:54 PM

Governor Romney dismissed role of Amateur Radio Operators in Emergencies.

Mr. Romney never engaged in such vitrol.

I would caution you to refrain from making such statements.

"Eric Gordon" wrote in
:

WHAT A JACKASS. OOOPPPSSSSS SORRY, HE'S A REPUBLICAN. SORRY, NO
OFFENSE TO THE JACKASSES OF THE WORLD. HE'S AN INSULT TO HUMANITY,
BUT NOT TOTALLY UNEXPECTED FROM A REPUBLICAN
. ..

an_old_friend March 23rd 08 09:13 PM

On Mar 23, 4:54*pm, "William O'Hara" wrote:
Mr. Romney never engaged in such vitrol. *

I would caution you to refrain from making such statements.

play such games with redirects is normal the at of a poor USENET poster

JD[_2_] March 28th 08 11:04 PM

Governor Romney dismissed role of Amateur Radio Operators in Emergencies.

"laborkei" wrote in message
[...]

Had to get your hateful (typical of liberal/socialist trolls), BDS
shots at anything Republican, huh?

---

Yours truly, Johnny Dollar!