Old January 16th 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.swap

Default Governor Romney dismissed role of Amateur Radio Operators in Emergencies.

Attention all Amateur Operators.
Please Read, and send your comments to the ARRL and Romney Website.

Wednesday 16 November 2005 @ 15:48:10 | Eastern Massachusetts ARRL Romney
'Disses' Amateur Radio In
Televised Town Meeting Posted on Wednesday16 November 2005 @ 15:48:10

Governor Mitt Romney dismissed the role of Amateur Radio operators in
emergency communications
during a televised 'town meeting' program last night on WCVB's 'When
Disaster Strikes: Segment Two.'
The program featured public safety and volunteer organization officials
from
across Massachusetts
among its audience.

Host and moderator Natalie Jacobson asked an increasingly-agitated Governor
Romney questions about
communications interoperability, and communication without commercial
power.
Romney was next asked
by Jacobson, '...so does it come down to ham radio?...'

The Governor replied in a disgusted tone, 'No, we don't need to deal with
ham radio operators...'

Embarrassed public safety officials later tried to put in a good word for
Amateur Radio. National
Weather Service Warning Coordination Meteorologist Glenn Field was prepared
to state the importance
of Amateur Radio, when Salvation Army Colonel Fred Van Brunt was called
upon. Van Brunt remarked
about his organization's quest to improve its communications capabilities
and how Amateur Radio has
aided his organization. 'The ham radio situation helps a great deal,' he
stated.

'I have already written and submitted a letter to the Governor's Office,'
wrote Eastern MA Section
Emergency Coordinator Rob Macedo, KD1CY. 'I have also written an email to
Natalie Jacobson.'

ARRL Section Manager Mike Neilsen, W1MPN sent a section-wide email today to
all Eastern MA ARRL
members describing the incident along with actions he and his staff were
taking to mitigate the
situation.

'[Romney's] attitude about us sets an unfortunate tone within the state's
executive branch,' wrote
Neilsen. 'As a former military officer, I see this as a failure in
leadership. My immediate concern
is our working relationship within the [Massachusetts Emergency Management
Team] environment.'
Neilsen intends to address the Governor's comments as 'an urgent matter' at
a meeting on November 17
with Don Carlton from the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency.

'I was very disturbed about what the Governor stated on the program,' wrote
Ron Wood, W1PLW, the
section's Public Information Coordinator. 'It does show that more work is
needed by all hams in the
section. It's a great idea to write letters explaining the good we do.'
Wood
is attempting to
schedule a meeting with the Governor's office tomorrow so that EMA ARRL
staffers might discuss the
matter further.

Tom Kinahan, N1CPE wrote that Governor Romney's comment has made 'a PR
problem' for Kinahan in his
role as MA State RACES Officer.

'I've got a roster of over 150 Amateur Radio operators that support local
communities, and those of
us that directly support the state government. There are at least double
that in terms of people
that are actually out there that I don't have formal paperwork on that
support Amateur Radio
emergency communications in some organized manner... The Governor has said
that he 'certainly
doesn't need to rely on ham radio' -- where does that leave the RACES
program now?'

'I am ashamed tonight that I am a Republican!' remarked one ham radio
viewer. '[Romney] speaks in
derogatory tones about hams. He certainly shows an ignorance as to what we
do and are capable of. I
suggest a grass roots campaign of local hams calling the State House and
The
Governor's Office to
protest.'

Old January 16th 08, 08:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.swap

laborkei wrote:
[...]

One more good reason not to vote for him...but look at the bright side:
This will give him a chance to flip-flop again and say how much he likes
hams. ;-)

P.S. Even though I'm not a resident of the state of Massachusetts, I
wrote a letter of protest at the time. As a non-resident, you can
imagine how far it got.
Old January 16th 08, 08:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.swap

Clara Peller wrote:

One more good reason not to vote for him...but look at the bright side:
This will give him a chance to flip-flop again and say how much he likes
hams. ;-)

P.S. Even though I'm not a resident of the state of Massachusetts, I
wrote a letter of protest at the time. As a non-resident, you can
imagine how far it got.

That is certainly one avenue to pursue; however, some roads lead to
better places than others.

How about a re-evaluation of us, our plans, our equip., etc. and instead
of finding fault with other--why they do not find our services
desirable, we ask the question, "What can we do to become
up-to-date-current and make our services desirable--to the point they
can't ignore us?"

But then, that stands a fat chance ...

Regards,
JS
Old January 16th 08, 09:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.swap

John Smith wrote:
But then, that stands a fat chance ...

Where is Barry Goldwater when we need him?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old January 16th 08, 10:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.swap

Cecil Moore wrote:
John Smith wrote:
But then, that stands a fat chance ...

Where is Barry Goldwater when we need him?

Right where he should be.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

Old January 16th 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.swap

Cecil Moore wrote:
John Smith wrote:
But then, that stands a fat chance ...

Where is Barry Goldwater when we need him?

Yeah, butt; Remember JFK, "Ask not what your country can do for you; Ask
what you can do for your country ..." (paraphrased, of course)

Regards,
JS
Old January 17th 08, 04:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna, rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc,rec.radio.amateur.equipment, rec.radio.amateur.misc

Ummmmm...did you guys see the date on that "news release".

It was Nov of 2005. (2 years and 1 month ago)

Then again this seems to not be an issue with most hams.
Being several days late and $25 short is standard operating
procedure.
Heck most of the hams I hear on 75 Meters on a nightly basis
at night in 4 and 5 land still sound like their stuck in the 1940's
and 50's with all their
use of the N-word and racial tirades against Obama and Hillary and all
the other assorted
obsolete BS spewed out each evening. What else is new folks ?

Old January 17th 08, 04:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Captkumstainof20 wrote:
Ummmmm...did you guys see the date on that "news release".

It was Nov of 2005. (2 years and 1 month ago)

Then again this seems to not be an issue with most hams.
Being several days late and $25 short is standard operating
procedure.
Heck most of the hams I hear on 75 Meters on a nightly basis
at night in 4 and 5 land still sound like their stuck in the 1940's
and 50's with all their
use of the N-word and racial tirades against Obama and Hillary and all
the other assorted
obsolete BS spewed out each evening. What else is new folks ?

What planet do you live on, I'll check it out--but, mind you, I am leery
.... say, are you of a humanoid life-form? ROFLOL

JS
Old January 17th 08, 10:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.swap

Mr. Jim wrote:
Romney just lost my VOTE.

I suspect any rational vote would go to Ron Paul.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old January 17th 08, 10:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.swap

Cecil Moore wrote:
Mr. Jim wrote:
Romney just lost my VOTE.

I suspect any rational vote would go to Ron Paul.

I suspect any rational mind would go with Ron Paul. He IS my hero,
'yanno? LOL

Too bad he ain't a ham.

Regards,
JS