Old November 1st 16, 04:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

Default [KB6NU] One=Day Tech Class Videos: Safety, I and II

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

One=Day Tech Class Videos: Safety, I and II

Here are two more clips from my one-day Tech class of January 30, 2016.
These two clips deal with safety.

The post One=Day Tech Class Videos: Safety, I and II appeared first on
KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.

Go Big, Go Early, Go Fast, Be Smart

Most of us know that Craig Fugate is the administrator of the Federal
Emergency Management Agency. Well, as it turns out, so is Ted Okada, K4HNL,
FEMA’s Chief Technology Officer. In this talk, which he gave at the TAPR
Digital Communications Conference in September, he recounts some of his own
history with amateur radio, discusses FEMA’s mission, and then engages in a
little blue-sky thinking *about how amateur radio might play a bigger role
in emergency preparedness. At about the 23:20 mark, he says, “Is ham radio
on the cusp of something big?”

Some of his blue-sky ideas that he feels amateur radio might play a part in
include:

Collecting flood data from a network of sensors.
Collecting data from a network of infrasound sensors.
Using the RaspberryPi as a low-power FM station to get information to
refugees.
Harvesting energy in places where commercial power is out.

For a long time, I’ve thought that amateur radio needs a group like TAPR
devoted to researching emergency communications equipment and techniques.
We always tout how amateur radio is essential in emergency situations, yet
we do very little in the way of research. I don’t know what the future
holds for FEMA, but with*Fugate and Okada in charge, I think the time might
be ripe to get something going. The question is whether or not*anyone
will*step up to the challenge.

The post Go Big, Go Early, Go Fast, Be Smart appeared first on KB6NUs Ham
Radio Blog.