Old March 12th 17, 02:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

Default 30 Years Ago: Minix Operating System and Amateur Radio

This is from a web-site that is replaying Usenet, including
rec.ham-radio, from 30 years ago (currently early 1987). The site is:

http://www.olduse.net

If you prefer to use your own newsreader, the site also supports an NNTP
connection at:

nntp.olduse.net:119

From rec.ham-radio Sat Mar 11 10:51:13 2017
Newsgroups: comp.os.minix,rec.ham-radio,comp.windows.x,comp.sys.atari.st
Subject: MINIX - STD EXTENSIONS
Date: Mon, 2-Mar-87 16:06:00 EST

CROSS POSTED TO MANY AREAS FOR CROSS FERTILIZATION:

I have been following the MINIX group now from it's inception and
would like to suggest the following two items be considered for
STANDARD EXTENSIONS:

1. MIT's X Window System - for those with bitmaped screens
this would provide a standard windowing system for applications with
a migration path to/from larger systems. (Supported Standard: Apollo,
HP, DEC, DG, Adobe, others [assume trademark notices]).

2. KA9Q's TCP/IP (Phil Karn) implementation. This code,
which Phil will share for NON-COMMERCIAL reproduction, implements
a driver for an Ethernet Controller as well as serial line, HDLC,
and Amateur Packet Radio connections.

(*FOR U.S.A, other countries may have different requirements*)

For those who are interested: Starting in March the lowest
class of Amateur License will permit PACKET RADIO priviledges and
HOBBY computerists should consider getting licenced as with Phil's
code and the available frequencies it would be possible to build
a network for sharing BINARIES and SOURCES for HOBBY MINIX programs,
as well as non-commercial electronic mail.

This lowest class license [NOVICE] will require you to
pass the following tests:

1. International Morse Code (receive only) at 5 WPM
(3-40 hours of study). You listen to 5 minutes
(25 Words/125 characters) of plain text and answer
a 10 question test on content. (Answers must be
letter perfect)

2. Theory and Law - 30 multiple choice questions on
OHMs Law, Legal Frequencies, etc. VERY SIMPLE
(Read a small tutorial).

If you have questions about licensing, etc. on ham
radio, POST to rec.ham-radio on USENET.

John Hays
Amateur Radio Station: KD7UW

- --
John D. Hays, Consultant UUCP: ...!decvax!wanginst!apollo!hays
Corporate Systems Engineering ...!uw-beaver!apollo!hays
Apollo Computer Inc. CIS: 72725,424 {weekly}
!MY OPINIONS, NOT Apollo's!

From rec.ham-radio Sat Mar 11 10:57:17 2017

Newsgroups: comp.os.minix,rec.ham-radio,comp.windows.x,comp.sys.atari.st
Date: Tue, 3-Mar-87 08:39:43 EST

In article ,
(John Hays) writes:
would like to suggest the following two items be considered for
STANDARD EXTENSIONS:

1. MIT's X Window System - for those with bitmaped screens

2. KA9Q's TCP/IP (Phil Karn) implementation. This code,

[blah,blah,blah...]

Let's be real, here, guys. From what I understand (not having had a chance to
get my minix up, running, and beaten on) there are even questions as to whether
the hard disk drivers function properly. You are talking about implementing
an awful lot of fancy stuff on some pretty brain-damaged hardware.

I am sick of seeing all this 'when I get suntools running on minix I'll post to
the net" s**t. Don't waste the net's time telling us about the great things
you're going to do unless you have a beta-test version :-)

I think it might be more productive to worry (in order) about exhaustively
testing minix, and making more portable drivers for a variety of hard disk
controllers, and then maybe clearing up the odd bug here and there. TCP/IP
is really very nice, but who wants to talk to a PC anyway ? I'd never let
one on my network unless the sucker had a better security system than being
able to boot off of *ANY* floppy you choose (hence any /etc/passwd, etc).

Please wake up and smell the roses, guys. UNIX wasn't written overnight, and
it certainly wasn't written by 800 usenet messages saying "well, I'd really
like to see this implemented..." or "I plan to port all the code for KERMIT
and build it into the kernel as a local area network", blah, blah, blah...

I suggest we maybe form a talk.minix.wild.***dream, or a comp.os.fantasy
for you guys, and the rest of us can concentrate on simpler things like
maybe making it a bit more portable, robust, and adding some of our favorite
AT&T-like tools. Ferget the TCP/IP - the basics like 'sed' and 'lex' are
a lot more likely to be missed.

- --mjr();

- --
"It is better to shred the b****r than to b****r the shredder."
-ancient doltic proverb.

From rec.ham-radio Sat Mar 11 10:51:13 2017

Newsgroups: comp.os.minix,rec.ham-radio,comp.windows.x,comp.sys.atari.st
Date: Tue, 3-Mar-87 21:11:54 EST

In article
(Marcus J Ranum) writes:
I think it might be more productive to worry (in order) about exhaustively
testing minix, and making more portable drivers for a variety of hard disk
controllers, and then maybe clearing up the odd bug here and there. TCP/IP
is really very nice, but who wants to talk to a PC anyway ? I'd never let
one on my network unless the sucker had a better security system than being
able to boot off of *ANY* floppy you choose (hence any /etc/passwd, etc).

THERE IS NOT ONE SINGLE UNIX SYSTEM ANYWHERE THAT IS INVULNERABLE TO
BOOTING DOCTORED MATERIAL. If you can set up the system in the first
place, then you can also set it up again with altered files. The only
thing that stops most people from doing this is a locked door. You
can just as effectively lock up a PC. Therefore, I don't think that
the ability to boot off a diskette is a valid reason not to allow PC's
to connect to a network.

Now that that's off my chest, the rest of the arguments given in M. J.
Ranum's posting are great. Let's not try to set up complex programs
on MINIX systems until MINIX is humming along perfectly.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
- Jim Frost * The Madd Hacker -
UUCP: ..!harvard!bu-cs!bucsb!madd | ARPANET:

CSNET: madd%bucsb@bu-cs | BITNET: cscc71c@bostonu
- -------------------------------+---+------------------------------------
"Oh beer, oh beer." -- Me | [=(BEER) - Bud the Beer (cheers!)

From rec.ham-radio Sat Mar 11 10:51:13 2017
From:
(Bdale Garbee)
Newsgroups: comp.os.minix,rec.ham-radio,comp.windows.x,comp.sys.atari.st
Date: Sun, 8-Mar-87 00:11:08 EST

In article
(Marcus J Ranum) writes:
...concentrate on simpler things like
maybe making it a bit more portable, robust, and adding some of our favorite
AT&T-like tools. Ferget the TCP/IP - the basics like 'sed' and 'lex' are
a lot more likely to be missed.

I suppose it's all a matter of your perspective. Phil and I (and the other
folks who've been helping beat on our code) have a working TCP/IP package
running under MS-Dos. Neither of us like MS-Dos. We see Minix as a neat
next step for the package, in that it will allow us to "do things right"
without having to write an OS in the process. A full blown unix system with
TCP/IP isn't our goal.

I do indeed hope that someone works on sed, and lex... a driver that will talk
to other hard disk controller cards, and maybe even (oh gosh... here's a REAL
wet dream :-) an RS-232 driver and uucp. In the meantime, some of us will be
working on TCP/IP.
- --

Bdale Garbee, N3EUA phone: 303/593-9828 h, 303/590-2868 w
uucp: {bellcore,crash,hp-lsd,hpcsma,ncc,pitt,usafa,vixie}!winfree!bdale
fido: sysop of 128/19 packet: n3eua @ k0hoa, Colorado Springs

From rec.ham-radio Sat Mar 11 10:51:13 2017

Newsgroups: comp.os.minix,rec.ham-radio,comp.windows.x,comp.sys.atari.st
Date: Mon, 9-Mar-87 19:34:47 EST

In article
(Bdale Garbee) writes:
to other hard disk controller cards, and maybe even (oh gosh... here's a REAL
wet dream :-) an RS-232 driver and uucp.

Does this mean that stock Minix does not know how to use the serial port
if there is one on the PC? Just wondering how much trouble it would be to
write a terminal emulator, etc...
- --
Joe Morrison
VLSI Group
University of Waterloo
{decvax,allegra,ihnp4}!watmath!watvlsi!joe
- --
"The first fifteen million years -- they were the worst..."

30 Years Ago: Threat of loss of 220-222 MHz amateur band Dick Grady AC7EL[_2_] Moderated 7 August 20th 14 01:22 PM
30 Years Ago: 10 MHz Amateur Band Opened Paul W. Schleck[_3_] Moderated 1 November 7th 12 08:01 PM
(fwd) :ARLX003 Haiti Amateur Radio Frequency Update/Reciprocal Operating Clearance Dick Grady AC7EL Moderated 0 January 25th 10 09:43 PM
CB Radio Operating The Dude! CB 106 August 19th 08 06:17 PM
Is Radio Prague Operating At Reduced Power? Fredric J. Einstein Shortwave 3 December 15th 03 02:31 PM