RadioBanter

-   Digital (https://www.radiobanter.com/digital/)
-   -   Using ham bands for educational / research project (https://www.radiobanter.com/digital/7766-using-ham-bands-educational-research-project.html)

Phil Kane July 3rd 03 08:48 PM

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 13:54:46 GMT, Duane Allen wrote:

I would think that the University already has or can easily get
non-amateur resources (both hardware and spectrum allocation) that would
support your research projects. The challenging task is finding out who
may have such resources. In addition to checking with the project lead
faculty, you may need to check with the department head and the college
dean. An often overlooked channel for information is contacting the
purchasing persons at the department/college/campus levels. They know
who requisitioned what. From there you can go to the requisitioners and
find out what administrative activities they went through for licensing.

Yes, UC does have such resources, and the source of who has what
where throughout the UC system is the Office of the Vice President
of Administration, located on the UC Berkeley campus.

At least that's who we used to deal with concerning radio spectrum
assignment and licensing matters for the UC system.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Phil Kane July 3rd 03 08:54 PM

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 19:04:25 GMT, S. Sampson wrote:

Are you being employeed by UC to conduct university research projects?

Graduate students aren't considered employee's of a University.

However, when I did my graduate research at UCLA 40+ years ago, the
result was considered "for" the University, not for me as a private
individual.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

S. Sampson July 3rd 03 10:10 PM

"Phil Kane" wrote
S. Sampson wrote:

Are you being employeed by UC to conduct university research projects?

Graduate students aren't considered employee's of a University.

However, when I did my graduate research at UCLA 40+ years ago, the
result was considered "for" the University, not for me as a private
individual.

I would put it this way: If the University intends to patent any part of the
research, then the ARS should not be used.

keep-it-clean July 8th 03 05:11 AM

Just go ahead and do it !!!

Don't worry about the "barracks lawyers". Hams are the biggest bunch of
wannabe cops that exist.

Your research will be a better use of the bandwidth than 99.999% of the
mindless jabber on the amateur bands today,

S. Sampson July 9th 03 03:44 AM

"keep-it-clean" wrote

Now then, I take it you disagree with my advice to the original poster.

That really wasn't "advice," it was just noise.