Old July 15th 03, 02:08 AM
VHFRadioBuff

Default Good mobile APRS rig?

Hello all. I am thinking of getting into APRS from the mobile and I was
wondering if anyone can suggest a good APRS rig. This would ONLY be used for
APRS and nothing else, so it doesn't have to be packed with the latest bells
and whistles. I am planing on using my KPC-3 with some sort of Palm device and
running PocketAPRS. Email replies are welcome.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73! de Andy KC2SSB (ex: KF4KHC/HL9HCT)
Beachwood, NJ USA! Grid FM29vw
http://vhfradiobuff.tripod.com
Fight Spam! http://spamcop.net
National "Do Not Call" Registry: http://donotcall.gov
Old July 15th 03, 02:29 AM
S. Sampson

Just get the cheapest Yaesu 2 meter mobile rig. They are usually cheaper
than anything else you can find. I took all my 80's junk and threw it into the
dumpster. That crap was more trouble than it was worth, and I don't want
someone else to suffer.

Just ignore the bells and whistles. It will increase the resale value in 10 years.

"VHFRadioBuff" wrote

Old July 16th 03, 01:04 PM
AA

I used my Icom IC-2100H for about a year full time as a
stand-alone-digi and it worked great. I had no problems.

I've looked into the IC-2100H in the past for use as a regular 2m mobile and
didn't like what I had read

Fine rig, just don't use a non-resonant antenna (i.e., high VSWR) as the finals
module could fail (like any rig!). I'm running a RatShak HTX-252 for APRS...it
was free, albeit dead; took a few minutes to repair the problem (speaker wire
pinched between the frame and board toasted a resistor in the audio
circuit...so much for Chinese QC). If you get one, do the squelch mod, it
works much better. A stock -252 works poorly. The -242 or the -212 are better
selections and rather cheap.

Want solid? Look for the Icom non-PL units, the Kenwood non-PL units...both
rock solid (don't drop one on your foot, either) and cheap. Either unit will
last a long time.

Old July 16th 03, 01:04 PM
AA

[...]

Good 144/440 mobile antenna recommendations Michael Rawls Antenna 1 June 17th 04 03:55 AM
APS 13 DX Antenna with a good 70s tuner DJboutit2 Antenna 0 January 8th 04 07:45 AM
Mobile Antennas Jerry Antenna 0 September 8th 03 07:27 PM
Mobile Antenna Question Richard Clark Antenna 3 August 23rd 03 08:07 PM