Old July 15th 03, 03:00 AM
VHFRadioBuff

Default Question about GPS and APRS

Hello all. I've been surfing the web, reading about APRS but I am confused
about one thing. How does the GPS play into the whole thing? Can anyone give me
a webpage with a good explanation of how everything links together (planing on
using a Handspring Visor Prism with my KPC-3 and a cheap 2m mobile rig)? If
anyone can suggest a specific GPS unit, that would be good. Email replies are
welcome.

Also, does anyone sell a Palm pilot mount for the car?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73! de Andy KC2SSB (ex: KF4KHC/HL9HCT)
Beachwood, NJ USA! Grid FM29vw
http://vhfradiobuff.tripod.com
Fight Spam! http://spamcop.net
National "Do Not Call" Registry: http://donotcall.gov
Old July 15th 03, 03:55 AM
S. Sampson

"VHFRadioBuff" wrote

I've been surfing the web, reading about APRS but I am confused
about one thing. How does the GPS play into the whole thing?

APRS is designed to report "positions." These positions are derived from
some kind of NMEA 0183 protocol device.

Any GPS that provides a serial output, NMEA 0193, and WGS 84
based position references would be acceptable. I like Garmin products.

Check out the Geko 301 (Wow!)

People in other parts of the world may use a different datum then WGS 84,
and their position may not correlate well to U.S. based maps.

[GPS with WGS 84 datum and serial port NMEA]
[Data modulator]
[Radio]

Most people use a tracker device based on a one-chip PIC processor,
and run that to a radio.

As people move around the tracker decodes the NMEA lat/lon/speed
and/or altitude, and modulates the radio and signals the PTT.

Old July 15th 03, 05:05 AM
VHFRadioBuff

So how does the GPS interface with the system? I know the Palm Pilot connects
to the TNC and the TNC connects to the radio. Do you know of some good websites
that explain more? I will check into the Geko 301.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Old July 15th 03, 01:36 PM
VHFRadioBuff

If you have a lot of time, then cobble stuff together.
Otherwise, write a check and buy an APRS-integrated radio
like a Kenwood TM-D700A. Just remember it's not suitable for
ordinary connected-mode packet cause of a blatant bug, but it's
a fine APRS radio.

Hmm.. just looked at that.. $520? That's a bit more than I wanted to spend. I
already have a KPC-3. I figured I could use that and buy a used 2m radio,
probably for less than $100. The interface for a stand alone GPS unit is too
complicated?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Old July 15th 03, 02:53 PM
VHFRadioBuff

If your Kantronics is V6 or higher, read the manual about connecting a GPS to
it. It will 'share' a port on the TNC.

Looking at the manual, it says it's version 5.0. When I use the "version"
command, I get this:

KPC3-54CF3230-5.1

I am guessing this is version 5.1? Is there a firmware update to bring it to
6.0?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Old July 15th 03, 03:27 PM
Dr. Anton Squeegee

In article , VHFRadioBuff
says...

Hello all. I've been surfing the web, reading about APRS but I am confused
about one thing. How does the GPS play into the whole thing? Can anyone give me
a webpage with a good explanation of how everything links together (planing on
using a Handspring Visor Prism with my KPC-3 and a cheap 2m mobile rig)? If
anyone can suggest a specific GPS unit, that would be good. Email replies are
welcome.

The usual scheme is that the GPS receiver feeds its data to the
TNC (in my case, a Kantronics KPC-3+), and the TNC interfaces with the
radio involved to move the data. APRS, as its name implies, is mainly
for position reporting.

Also, does anyone sell a Palm pilot mount for the car?

Have a look at http://www.smc-corp.com -- That's where I got my
console mount and pedestals for the 'TechMobile'
(http://www.bluefeathertech.com/kc7gr/thevan.html).

Choice of GPS receiver is entirely up to the individual's finances
and requirements. I got lucky with a bunch of surplus hardware, and
locating some good deals on OEM modules, and ended up investing a little
under $250 for a fairly high-end GPS setup that's WAAS-enabled.

That figure included the antenna, which I got from a fellow who
was selling them on Ebay a while back, and a DC injector (which was
needed due to the antenna's bias voltage requirements -- 12V vs. 5).

HOWEVER -- keep in mind that my setup was built specifically for
high accuracy in a mobile environment, and took a lot of work to put
together. It uses an APRS-dedicated single-channel transceiver (a
converted Motorola Mitrek).

In short: If you're looking for something in a handheld, my
solution would not be a good one for you. ;-)

Good hunting.

--
Dr. Anton Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)