Old August 1st 03, 03:55 AM
VHFRadioBuff

Default Is a KPC-3 ok for APRS?

Hello all. Me again. I'm still looking into the whole APRS thing and I have
another question. If I do go with APRS, I think I will be getting a Handspring
Visor Prism with the Magellan GPS Companion. Since the GPS will be directly
conntected to the palm, I will only need to connect the TNC to the palm. Will
the KPC-3 be ok for this? From what I've read, it will work, but I believe that
the KPC-3 is only capable of working at 1200 baud. Is this a major deal, not
being able to communicate at 9600 baud? Should I just spring for the KPC-3+?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73! de Andy KC2SSB (ex: KF4KHC/HL9HCT)
Beachwood, NJ USA! Grid FM29vw
http://vhfradiobuff.tripod.com
Fight Spam! http://spamcop.net
National "Do Not Call" Registry: http://donotcall.gov
Old August 21st 03, 05:51 PM
Spud

Open the KPC3 and look at the Eprom it will have the version number (V5)
(V6) (V8.2), you need V6 or better to run GPS NMEA interface capability.
You should be able to find someone with an Eprom burner and upgrade the
Eprom to the latest version (from the Kantronics website) if yours is not V6
or better.

"DxxxxxBxx" wrote in message
I've used a KPC-3 (no plus) with APRS...no problem. I believe the
extra firmware is required for use with no PC. I don't know what type
of setup you're using, but if your palm does the APRS stuff, then it I
assume it can format a message and tell the KPC-3 to send it....no
problem.

On 01 Aug 2003 02:55:36 GMT, pamme (VHFRadioBuff)
wrote:

[...]

Spammers, please send email to:

and get your SMTP server blacklisted!