Old August 21st 03, 11:50 PM
MRQuickBoard

Default How Do I Use Radio As A Internet Connection

How Do I Use Radio As A Internet Connection, i am wanting to know how i can
use a mobile ham radio and hook it up to a laptop to be able to connect to
the internet so i can use irc chat dont need fast connection speed. would
like to be able to chat on IRC while camping/fishing ware no cell service is
avaiable.

Old August 22nd 03, 08:28 PM
MRQuickBoard

That is why i am asking if it can be done if it cannot be done then i wont
do it and stay away from ham radio. don't want to waste my money getting a
license or the time to study if it cannot be done.

Old August 22nd 03, 11:37 PM
charlesb

"MRQuickBoard" wrote in message
That is why i am asking if it can be done if it cannot be done then i wont
do it and stay away from ham radio. don't want to waste my money getting a
license or the time to study if it cannot be done.

Don't waste your time or money. The Ham Radio hobby is for people who have a
genuine interest in radio. It is not a communications carrier or a back door
to getting freebee services. Generally, the "freebee" services ham radio
provide require a substantial investment in both personal time and money in
order to exist or to be utilized. If you don't have a particular interest in
radio, you will find that ham radio is ultimately unsatisfying. You have to
learn a bunch of stuff, work cooperatively with other people, follow and
respect not only the FCC rules but ham radio's "gentlemen's agreements" as
well. Many people will expect you to show an interest in community service.

You have made it plain that your interest in ham radio only goes as far as
what kind of "freebee" it might give you... That's not really a good enough
reason to go through the effort. You'd be better off without ham radio, and
ham radio would be better off without you.

I'd say your best bet is to go with plan "B"; something that does not
involve ham radio.

Charles, N5PVL

Old August 23rd 03, 01:34 AM
Dr. Anton Squeegee

In article , MRQuickBoard says...

That is why i am asking if it can be done if it cannot be done then i wont
do it and stay away from ham radio. don't want to waste my money getting a
license or the time to study if it cannot be done.

It's not a question of whether it CAN be done. In the technical
sense, of course it can. The question is whether what you want to do is
applicable to the real purposes of the amateur radio service.

I will add that getting wireless access to the Internet is not why
the service exists. You would know this if you had taken the time to do
some basic research with Part 97 of the FCC regs, or visited ARRL.org
and read 'The Amateur's Code.'

If you don't like the thought of helping to serve the real
purposes of amateur radio (helping with disaster and other emergency
communications, teaching a ham radio class, developing the skills and
acquiring the tools necessary to tinker with radio and related
electronic hardware, etc.), then you would be well advised to steer
clear of the amateur service.

In short: If all you really want is wireless Internet access, pop
down to your local CompUSA or whoever, and pick up the hardware to do
it. Anyone who wants to can buy it, no license required.

--
Dr. Anton Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)

Old August 23rd 03, 05:04 AM
Carl Walthall

There is a new radio by ICOM called D-Star that suppost to let you do this.
I'm not sure of the FCC rules but ICOM's website is a good place to start. I
understand it cost about $1400.00 and works at 1.2G so it's costly for what
yo are looking for.

Carl

Old August 25th 03, 01:51 AM
Rob Judd

Hi,

Well, getting a ham license isn't exactly a waste of time, but it does
carry some responsibilities. Unfortunately for us, one of them is
abiding by communications law.

Currently, governments like to be able to trace directly where
communications on their system originate. It has to do with law
enforcement mainly. Hams in the US have been able to do email via the
internet for a while, and it is regarded here in Australia as
"allowable" for licensed hams providing they don't have direct access to
the 'net.

I think such services, if allowed, would be swamped fairly quickly with
illegal operators anyhow (remember how CB got going?). And someone still
has to pay for the fixed station bandwidth, both on air and cable. If it
ever comes to pass, be assured that the government will charge heavily
for the right to monopolise a static frequency.

Rob