Old September 12th 03, 09:29 PM

Default Q15X25 HF Activity?

Curious as to whether there is any activity on HF using mode Q15X25?

When first introduced, 21113usb but nil heard for many months now.

Tks,

de Rich/N2JR

Old September 12th 03, 10:40 PM
charlesb

I heard a Q15x25 signal a few nights ago on 20meters, 14.110 LSB, something
in that neighborhood.

I tried Q15x25 on HF and was not satisfied with its performance under poor
conditions. Throughput would drop to 300 baud packet levels or less, but I
was still taking up enough bandwidth for six or seven HF packet QSO's! That
was not impressive.

When the band cleared up though, it would perform as advertised, very fast
for HF.

If you use the Flex32 implementation of Q15x25, called "newqpsk", it is
possible to gateway Q15x25 mode to VFH/UHF packet, a BBS program or what
have you.

I thought about BBS forwarding with Q15x25, but nobody sounded interested so
I went back to 300 baud packet. It's better under poor band conditions, and
that's what we mainly get right now, anyhow.

Q15x25 is fun to play with though. I hear the Q15x25 enthusiasts use it to
swap JPEGs on the air. The images come through 100%, not all
static-spattered like SSTV images are, most of the time.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL

Old September 13th 03, 01:25 AM
charlesb

Curious as to whether there is any activity on HF using mode Q15X25?

I forgot to mention that there is a "Yahoo group" called Q15x25 where you
can find out about freqs and maybe dig up somebody to QSO with.

Go through the posts there, and you'll soon be up to speed on all issues
related to Q15x25.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL

Old September 13th 03, 04:41 PM

Thanks Charles for your input. Will peek at the Yahoo group.

de Rich/N2JR