Old November 5th 03, 02:56 AM
Andy Knitt

Default Mode for Best Throughput?

Hello Everyone,

I'm very new to packet radio/digital communications and am trying to climb
up the learning curve too fast. It hurts :-) My question is: What
protocol/mode will give me the best data throughput using 9600 baud packet
on VHF or UHF? Using standard AX.25 protocol in connected mode I'm able to
achieve about 1000 baud throughput. Unconnected I can get about 4000 baud,
but of course that is without any error checking or correction. I'd like to
get maximum data transfer between two stations...network operations are
secondary. I'm guessing using KISS mode would allow me to get better
throughput because of the lack of AX.25 overhead, but I'm pretty clueless on
how to actually do anything with KISS mode. How do I implement something
like TCP/IP over radio? Is that any better than AX.25? Less overhead?
I've downloaded JNOS, but I'm not sure what exactly it is or what to do with
it. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. I've searched the web
for info on running different protocols in KISS mode, but everything I find
seems like it was written for computer scientists in the 1980s.

Thanks!

Andy KB9JOZ