Old November 14th 03, 11:39 PM
F*thejones

Default audio cards or radio cards

Is there a good audio or radio/audio card?
I want to record radio to Mp3

--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us never forget ..... Stores don't kill economies, consumers do

Old November 17th 03, 08:00 PM
Mike Andrews

F*thejones wrote:
Is there a good audio or radio/audio card?
I want to record radio to Mp3

A SoundBlaster card probably will be good enough, unless you really
have to have studio-quality sound.

If you want better sound, look into the Turtle Beach audio gear for
PeeCees. It's pretty high grade stuff, and you *will* pay for it.

--
Mike Andrews

Tired old sysadmin

Old November 18th 03, 08:46 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

Just connect the line level output of any scanner (usually can use headphone
jack as well) or shortwave reciever to the recording input of your
soundcard.

You may have to wire the cable going between the radio device and the
soundcard, OR use an adapter depending what radio you are recieving with.

Then, merely use some type of recording program like Soundforge, Cooledit or
similar to record into a .WAV file which will allow you edit the file,
getting rid of any extra junk and most decent audio programs like mentioned,
will have a way to save to a MP3 file. If not, there are MP3 conversion
programs like CDEX that will convert WAV files to MP3 files.

--
Ryan KC8PMX

"Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs."

Old November 25th 03, 09:04 AM
Steve Silverwood

In article , says...
Is there a good audio or radio/audio card?
I want to record radio to Mp3

CQ Magazine's October issue started a series of articles on digital
sound recording. Part III came out in December's issue. Not sure how
many future parts there are, but it's worth reading.

As Mike mentioned, use your sound card for the audio input. You can use
the Sound Recorder application that comes as a part of Windows to do
your recording, or you can find some other programs that give you a
little more versatility. I've been playing with GoldWave, which does a
fair job. CoolEdit2000 is another good one, although I think they've
been bought by Adobe.

The procedure I use is:

1) Feed the audio from the receiver into the Line In port on the
computer's sound card;
2) Hook the speakers up to the output of the sound card;
3) Start GoldWave, and make sure it is configured to accept input
from the Line-In connection (by default it isn't);
4) Start a new file in GoldWave, specifying the length of the file
in minutes and seconds;
5) Click the Record button.

When it's done, I save it to disk as a .WAV file (which is what GoldWave
defaults to), then I use the XP Plus! pack utility to convert the file
from .WAV to .WMA format. The .WMA format provides a LOT of
compression, moreso even than MP3. A 25Mb .WAV file recording of a
shortwave broadcast last night compressed down to about 700K in .WMA
format! (An MP3 file would be about double that size, but still far
smaller than the .WAV file originally was.)

--

-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood, KB6OJS
Fountain Valley, CA