Old December 10th 03, 04:05 PM
larry

Default Where are we at now?

Greetings

I feel rather awkward in asking this question because while I was an active
amateur ve3fxq I seem to know what was going on and, sometimes, was knee
deep in it. Now I feel like I am the odd man out.

I seemed to have dropped out of amateur radio during the mid to late 90's.
That is about the time that APRS was starting to make it presence know.

I was actively involved in a display station ve3cne at the Canadian National
Exhibition. That station was closed around 1998ish and my contact with
amateur radio seem to go with it.

My main question is where is APRS now? When I saw it last, at ve3cne, There
was an almost world wide use of APRS with, even truckers having nodes and
letting people watch them travers the country. There were pictures of
storms and you could watch them treck across the country.

Also I am recently heard of another mode where you can connect to
appropriately connected vioce repeaters around the world via the internet.
I saw an article about this but it seemed like you needed fairly
suffistocated equipment to get there.

Any information?

Larry ve3fxq