Old January 18th 04, 03:52 AM

Default Software for MFJ 1278 B

Hi . I have just buy the 1278b, and the included software is
rediculus. Multicom (Dos).
They have a old win version at their site but they *sell it* !!!!!
A product with no software for today PC's ?
Are these guys for real ?

Anyway does anyone know any today soft who work with this thing?
Why i feel like sucker ?

73 SV1EMU
Old January 18th 04, 05:40 AM
dvari

i use paKet6.2.but i need to use an older type of computer with 12volts on
the serial port,my 933mHz and 1.33gHz computers don't work with the tnc i
still use kam,mfj-1270b and mfj-1270c. I can also use log-eqf to run those 3
tnc's

Old January 18th 04, 10:14 AM
Dee D. Flint

You should be able to use any terminal program such as the one included with
Windows for example. Or go download WinPack. It is still free I believe
and is an excellent program to use with TNCs.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old January 18th 04, 10:47 AM
charlesb

t...

wrote in message ...
Hi . I have just buy the 1278b, and the included software is
rediculus. Multicom (Dos).
They have a old win version at their site but they *sell it* !!!!!
A product with no software for today PC's ?
Are these guys for real ?

The MFJ1270b is known worlwide as being a generic TNC2 clone. As a TNC2
clone, it has more software written for it ( free and otherwise ) than any
other TNC design on the planet. There are literally dozens and dozens of
programs that work with the MFJ1270b.

Only a fool would be offended by the fact that some companies charge a
reasonable fee for thier software. - Especially when there are dozens and
dozens of free alternatives.

Anyway does anyone know any today soft who work with this thing?

Sure... Dozens and dozens of them. There is not room to list them all here.
Also, any terminal program should work. You can even use an old "dumb
terminal", if you can find one.

Why i feel like sucker ?

No need for that at all. You just didn't know how lucky you were in your
purchase. The 1270b is a very useful piece of equipment.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL
Director: USPacket.Net
http://www.uspacket.net

Old January 18th 04, 11:28 AM
Gene Storey

wrote
Hi . I have just buy the 1278b, and the included software is
rediculus. Multicom (Dos).

Throw the software away.

They have a old win version at their site but they *sell it* !!!!!

Capitalist swine eh?

A product with no software for today PC's ?
Are these guys for real ?

Get a clue, this modem was based on an old CP/M machine of the
last century. What the hell do you want? I bet you paid $5 for it, and
now you're complaining that you want it to work like a $25 WiFi card.

Anyway does anyone know any today soft who work with this thing?
Why i feel like sucker ?

Get AGWPE for Win-Dos or a KISS ROM and hook it to Linux. Then
you can relive the 1980's again. But somehow I think this modem is too
complex for you. You seem to be non-technical??