Old December 16th 05, 06:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc
Bob Nielsen

Default baycom, linux, ax25 frustration

There were a few 2.4 kernels which had AX.25 problems, but the later ones
worked fine for me (with mkiss and a TNC). Likewise, some of the 2.6
kernels had problems with AX.25, but this was fixed in 2.6.14.

The comments in the source code indicate that latest changes to
baycom_ser_hdx.c were made in March of 2000, so I doubt it is being
seriously maintained at this time. With serial ports on their way out, I
suspect that the Baycom modem is fast becoming obsolete. Fortunately,
there are now some TNCs with a USB interface available to take their place
(e.g., http://www.elcom.gr).

Bob, N7XY

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:25:45 -0600, Bob Bob wrote:

Tnxs for the followup Dean

Cheers Bob VK2YQA

data ham wrote:

Just in case anyone is interested.
I finally finished the update to kernel 2.6.14 . I also did a modules
update.
And still no joy. Same results.
I have also found a few older messages and vague references in Usenet
messages to the data corruption / CRC problems with transmit and Baycom
serial modems. It appears the while there is recognition of a problem
with packet assembly prior to transmit, nothing seems to have been
accomplished to solve the problem. The best that I can tell, the end
of the line for the serial baycoms was the 2.4 kernels. I have also
seen messages that indicate that there are problems with AX.25 in the
2.4 kernels. Problems that are fixed in the 2.6 kernels.
Unfortunately, I am not in a postion to lend a hand towards resolution
of Baycom / kernel 2.6 issues, otherwise I would. Sadly, I am now
the Baycom in a few days. I need it for a trip that I will be taking.
It's a damn shame. A Linux installation is terrible thing to waste.

Dean KD4TWJ

Old December 18th 05, 05:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc
Charles Brabham

"Bob Nielsen" wrote in message
news
Fortunately, there are now some TNCs with a USB interface available to
take their place
(e.g., http://www.elcom.gr).

Those prices are a joke. - When they get down to twenty bucks or so, I might
try one out... Until then, I'll just stick with soundcard Packet.

Charles, N5PVL