Old January 30th 04, 06:37 PM
Mark Carroll

Default Internet gateways

I am curious about the Internet gateways that can take 44/8 IP traffic
and send it across the Internet to another gateway elsewhere in the
world to be rebroadcast, to help the 44/8 traffic get to its
destination. (I'm not sure how well-connected all 44/8 users are by
radio links alone, or how tough long-distance routing is.)

I was wondering: how does a gateway know if/where to forward a given
IP packet destined for some remote 44/8 operator? Is there some
directory of non-AMPRNet IP addresses of gateways, and which AMPRNet
segments they're good for, so that the AMRPNet-Internet gateway can
pick a helpful and cooperative Internet-AMRPNet gateway?

-- Mark
Old January 30th 04, 07:55 PM
Mark Carroll

In article ,
Bob Nielsen wrote:
(snip)
http://www.ampr-gateways.org/Gateways-FAQ.html

Thanks, that's great! I wonder what happened to the
list. Still, there seems to be a lot of leads suggested on that page.

-- Mark

Old February 3rd 04, 10:18 PM
Mark Carroll

In article ,
Bob Nielsen wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 18:37:20 GMT, Mark Carroll wrote:
I am curious about the Internet gateways that can take 44/8 IP traffic
and send it across the Internet to another gateway elsewhere in the
world to be rebroadcast, to help the 44/8 traffic get to its

(snip)
http://www.ampr-gateways.org/Gateways-FAQ.html

Alas, the file that "is the most up to date information available
about the set of gateways worldwide" isn't publicly available and I
can't find any trace of the "maps showing where the gateways are". Can
anyone tell me anything about the usage and geographic distribution of
such gateways? More directly, I am wondering - if I were to set one up
in Knox County, Ohio, USA, will it at all be useful to people? It
would be disappointing if the area were already well served or, more
probably AFAICT, nobody uses them these days anyway.

-- Mark