Old February 21st 04, 08:36 AM
Ken Plumbly

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 07:31:37 -0600, me6 wrote:

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 19:01:14 -0600, "S. Miller"
wrote:

There can be no commercial or pecuniary interest _for the operator_. Merely
passing an unsolicited commercial blurb along with your desired content
while viewing a web page would not constitute a violation.

Agreed

But Im not in the least wanting to view web pages via ham radio.
Instead Im wanting Usenet-LIKE groups and email

It is possible, some of my first usage of the internet was via
packet using a program called jnos - tcp/ip encapsulated within
packet protocols, I had a gateway available to me, it's
fairly easy to set up, but unless you're willing to fork out
some coin for high speed packet gear, it's dreadfully slow,
I used to pass email, some news group stuff (usenet) and even
dabbled in downloading the occasional ftp file (tiny ones, 1200
baud is awfully slow) this was before the web held anything
more than a few dozen sites, archie and gopher were still
widely used.

So it is possible, but you're going to have fork out some coin
to make it happen.

Ken
-----------------
mv sco /dev/null
-----------------
Old February 21st 04, 01:33 PM

So it is possible, but you're going to have fork out some coin
to make it happen.

I see

But is there any PEOPLE to converse with using such methods?

I mean.... a good analogy is this..... if you are the only one in your
town who has a telephone.... but no one else has one.... then no
matter how great the telephone is its pretty much useless cause its
only used to converse or "connect" with other people. See my point?

Old February 21st 04, 07:39 PM
Pman

wrote in message . ..
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 15:21:32 -0600, "Drink" wrote:

Retrieving a webpage could still be
useful, though. Here, I'm talking about a clean, compact, commercial-free,
ham-approved webpage.

That would be very cool

However.....I don't really care abt web pages..... but REALLY miss my
Usenet groups at home.

Like I said I still have Net access here at work for researching and
looking at web pages... or downloading files.

What I was hoping was some ham way of accessing Usent-LIKE
groups.....and ham email. Basically a way for like minded people to
discuss various "topics" via jam radio.... just like we do right now
using Usenet on the Net

Hmmmmm. APRS has messaging that can send and/or receive from Internet
email. The only problem is they are short. Maybe at 9600 (soundcard
connected to discriminator) you could get what you need. Use a rig
with 9600 Packet with a 9600 setting and connector for easy
connection. Range depends on the APRS 9600 node near you.

http://www.elcom.gr/sv2agw/ has windows soundcard (as TNC) software.
You can by an interface or make one (Rig to Soundcard).

You probably want to duel boot Linux and use it's soundcard software
for stability. Get a "Knoppix" CD for easy Linux Install (free). Save
yourself the time and pay the $5 for shipping of the newest version.

This may not be everything you want but it's a step in the right
direction and it's CHEAP! If you don't enjoy seting up stuff then
don't waste your time.

Old February 22nd 04, 09:55 AM
Ken Plumbly

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 07:33:43 -0600, me6 wrote:

So it is possible, but you're going to have fork out some coin
to make it happen.

I see

But is there any PEOPLE to converse with using such methods?

There certainly was a number, several years ago, however,
since it has been a few years since I had communicated
via packet (I still intend to set it all back up sooner
or later, but apartment life is somewhat restrictive with
regard to antennas, sigh)

I just did a dig for one of the portals I used to use
and it is still up and running, with active users.

I am not sure how wide spread it is, the heard list used
to be much longer.

I mean.... a good analogy is this..... if you are the only one in your
town who has a telephone.... but no one else has one.... then no
matter how great the telephone is its pretty much useless cause its
only used to converse or "connect" with other people. See my point?

Now as to how many people are conversing this way, I am not sure, I used
to do so quite regularly, and will have my systems all set up
again within the next couple of months.

Do a web search for ham packet -- internet gateways in your area,
he

http://www.qsl.net/ik5bcu/list.htm

is a list I just brought up on google, though I have no idea
how recent it is.

several of the systems show up with nslookup and dig, and
hamgate.ve7sfu.ampr.org is still live as of this evening.
Though showing up with dig/nslookup is no indicator of a ham
gateway still being active, my own shows up, and I haven't
been up for at least three years.

Some of the gateway ops may be willing to set you up a feed,
I had several stations in the area I fed with packet mailboxes,
news can easily be added (usually most ops only do the
ham radio groups).

Ken
Linux user
mv sco /dev/null