Old November 22nd 04, 08:44 PM
Andy Pritchard

Default UI-View32 Registration

Hi All

You can register UI-View32 from the following URL

http://www.apritch.myby.co.uk/uiv32.htm

--

73 - Andy, M0CYP
--

UI-View http://welcome.to/uiview
Propagation http://welcome.to/dxradio

Old November 23rd 04, 05:59 AM
F8BOE

Hello,

I just wanted to know if UI-View32 can run with Flex32, as UI-View16 does
not and AGWPE sucks?

73 de F8BOE Olivier ...-.-

.uk...

Old November 28th 04, 02:07 AM
Tony VE6MVP

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 20:44:31 GMT, "Andy Pritchard"
wrote:

You can register UI-View32 from the following URL
http://www.apritch.myby.co.uk/uiv32.htm

Stupid question. I'm also a new ham.

What is the purpose of that software? I visited that website and it
had lots of technical details. But nowhere did I see a one paragraph
explanation of what problem it's reason for existence.

Tony

Old November 28th 04, 04:31 AM
M.S.

It's not a problem, it's another facet of amateur radio. It's an APRS
program, APRS stands for Automatic Position Reporting System. Using a GPS
and a TNC (or TNC-substitute) connected to a 2m radio on 144.390 MHz,
amateurs can beacon their position to other users. Originally developed as
a real-time, tactical system (think of a weather service forecast office
being able to look at a computer display and see the real-time location of a
spotter reporting a tornado), it has evolved into a multi-faceted system in
it's own right. Here is a link to Bob Bruninga's website which explains all
about APRS: http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs.html Bob - WB4APR, is
the developer/inventor of APRS. It's lots of fun, I personally have relayed
my location signal through the International Space Station and PCSAT, which
is an APRS relay satellite constructed by the midshipmen at the U.S. Naval
Academy and launched into orbit several years ago, a double bounce! Talk
about DX, 5 watts to orbit, through two stations, then back to Earth!

Ui-View is one of the most popular of the Windows-based APRS programs
available, there are other programs that work with any operating system.
Some allow you to bypass the TNC (Terminal Node Controller - a radio
"modem") and use your computer's sound card to control the radio.

Read up on APRS at the link, and follow some of the links Bob gives for
other fun and interesting aspects of APRS.

Mark S.

Old November 28th 04, 04:38 PM
Andy Pritchard

Hi Tony

In summery UI-View's objective is to display and generate APRS data.

Packet radio which is the basis of the protocol was developed some years ago
(circa 1980) and allows amateur radio operators to connect there computers
together using wireless technology (not what we call wireless technology
today).

APRS is a protocol built on top of packet radio which allows you to
communicate data such as GPS positions, weather reports, simple messages
etc...

UI-View is a software application which understands the APRS protocol. This
allows you to see and transmit the information which is communicated using
the APRS protocol. For example you can see what road a car fitted with the
appropriate equipment (GPS, radio and TNC) is travelling down.

Hope that helps.

--

73 - Andy, M0CYP

Old December 2nd 04, 02:31 AM
Tony VE6MVP

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 02:07:58 GMT, Tony VE6MVP
wrote:

What is the purpose of that software? I visited that website and it
had lots of technical details. But nowhere did I see a one paragraph
explanation of what problem it's reason for existence.

Thanks for the explanations. Much appreciated. I'll be following up
on the links.

Tony