Old December 16th 04, 04:47 AM
Dana H. Myers

Nate Bargmann wrote:

Personally, I would like to be able to assemble a medium speed LAN
capable of 128k to 384k speeds running in the 900 MHz band. I was piqued
by the ZigBee announcement yesterday on Slashdot where it was mentioned
that one of the bands to be used is 902 to 928 MHz @ 250 kbps. Adapting
such a technology to ham radio would be cool. Out here in the sticks we
would gladly trade down the bandwidth for the extra range we could achieve
on 900 MHz over 2.4 GHz.

Keep your eyes peeled for AT&T/NCR WaveLAN 915 hardware.
They made ISA cards and PC-Cards, and these were basically
an Intel Ethernet controller glued to a 2Mbps 915MHz DSSS
radio, running around +24dBm (250mw).

The ISA Card used an external antenna, while the PC-Card
had an "antenna module" which was actually the radio.

Though it's now quite difficult to find motherboards
with ISA slots, the ISA card is pretty interesting from
an experimentation point of view - you have access to the
barebones hardware and can tinker with the protocol. The
Ethernet controller on the ISA card was an 82586, the
controller in the PC-Card was a much simpler Intel controller,
the part number escapes me. In 1995, I developed drivers
for Solaris x86 for both of those cards and was quite
happy with the performance.

I recall that BSD and Linux had drivers for these cards,
so you could probably get started without much in the way
of documentation.

I never did any long-range outdoor linking with WaveLAN 915,
but I did read reports of 5-10 mile point-to-point links
done with directional antennas. I've done 12 miles with
802.11b on 2.4GHz (under Part 15 rules), so 10 miles with
this WaveLAN gear sounds reasonable.

Cheers -
Dana K6JQ
Old December 18th 04, 04:35 AM
Nate Bargmann

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:47:42 -0800, Dana H. Myers wrote:

Nate Bargmann wrote:

[...]

Cool! Thanks for the tip. I know I've seen references to these devices
in the Linux kernel menu config. I see that my Debian installation has a
wavelan module so that hardware is probably supported. I'll have to keep
an eye out at the next hamfest.

Thanks!

73, de Nate

--

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds,
the pessimist fears this is true."

Old December 25th 04, 05:45 PM
jouni

Charles Brabham wrote:

What we've been doing wrong with digital ham radio - and how to get back
on track.

http://www.uspacket.org/plan_a.htm

Charles, N5PVL

Hello OM,

happy to see somebody still thinking.

This is something I have been expecting.

Why not to apply first for HF DX-cluster? If no other reason, to get silent
UHF stuff out of the table!

73's
OH3DC / Jouni

Old December 25th 04, 10:06 PM
jouni

whole cloves deep into the meat.
Grease a baking pan, and fill with a thick bed of onions,
celery, green onions, and parsley.
Place roast on top with fat side up.
Place uncovered in 500° oven for 20 minutes, reduce oven to 325°.
Bake till medium rare (150°) and let roast rest.
Pour stock over onions and drippings, carve the meat and
place the slices in the au jus.

Bisque Ã* l?Enfant

Honor the memory of Grandma with this dish by utilizing her good
silver soup tureen and her great grandchildren (crawfish, crab or
lobster will work just as well, however this dish is classically
made with crawfish).

Stuffed infant heads, stuffed crawfish heads, stuffed crab or lobster shells;
make patties if shell or head is not available
(such as with packaged crawfish, crab, or headless baby).
Flour
oil
onions
bell peppers
garlic salt, pepper, etc.
3 cups chicken stock
2 sticks butter
3 tablespoons oil

First stuff the heads, or make the patties (see index)
then fry or bake.
Set aside to drain on paper towels.
Make a roux with butter, oil and flour,
brown vegetables in the roux,

Old December 28th 04, 02:47 AM
Here to there

sausage, green salad, and iced tea.
Coffee and apple pie then brandy.

Maternity Ward Pot Luck Dinner

If you can?t get anything fresh from the hospital, nursery, or morgue;
you can at least get rid of all the leftovers in your refrigerator.

1 - 2 lbs. cubed meat (human flesh, chicken, turkey, beef...)
1 -2 lbs. coarsely chopped vegetables
(carrots, potatoes, turnips, cauliflower, cabbage...)
Bell pepper
onions
garlic
ginger
salt pepper, etc.
Olive oil
butter

Brown the meat and some chopped onions, peppers, and garilic in olive oil,
place in baking dish, layer with vegetables seasoning and butter.
Bake at 325° for 30 - 45 minutes.
Serve with hot dinner rolls, fruit salad and sparkling water.

Bébé Buffet 1

Show off with whole roasted children replete with apples in mouths -
and babies? heads stuffed with wild rice. Or keep it simple with a
hearty main course such as stew, lasagna, or meat loaf.

Some suggestions

Pre-mie pot pies, beef stew, leg of lamb, stuffed chicken, roast pork spiral ham,
Cranberry pineapple salad, sweet potatoes in butter, vegetable platter, tossed salad with tomato and avocado, parsley new potatoes, spinich cucumber salad, fruit salad
Bran muffins, dinner rolls, soft breadsticks, rice pilaf, croissants
Apple cake with rum sauce, frosted banana nut bread sherbet, home made brownies
Iced tea, water, beer, bloody marys, lemonade, coffee

The guests select food, beverages, silverware... everything from

Old December 28th 04, 03:30 AM
Nate Bargmann

or pork ribs can be used in this recipe,
and that is exactly what your dinner guests will assume!
An excellent way to expose the uninitiated to this highly misunderstood
yet succulent source of protein.

2 human baby rib racks
3 cups barbecue sauce or honey glaze (see index)
Salt
black pepper
white pepper
paprika

Remove the silverskin by loosening from the edges,
then stripping off.
Season generously, rubbing the mixture into the baby?s flesh.
Place 1 quart water in a baking pan, the meat on a wire rack.
Bake uncovered in 250° oven for 1½ hours.
When browned, remove and glaze,
return to oven and bake 20 minutes more to form a glaze.
Cut ribs into individual pieces and serve with extra sauce.

Fresh Sausage

If it becomes necessary to hide the fact that you are eating
human babies, this is the perfect solution.
But if you are still paranoid, you can substitute pork butt.

5 lb. lean chuck roast
3 lb. prime baby butt
2 tablespoons each:
salt
black, white and cayenne peppers
celery salt
garlic powder
parsley flakes
brown sugar
1 teaspoon sage
2 onions
6 cloves garlic
bunch green onions, chopped

Cut the children?s butts and the beef roast into pieces
that will fit in the grinder.
Run the meat through using a 3/16 grinding plate.
Add garlic, onions and seasoning then mix well.
Add just enough water for a smooth consistency, then mix again.
Form the sausage mixture into patties or stuff into natural casings.

Stillborn Stew

By definition, this meat cannot be had altogether fresh,
but have the lifeless unfortunate available immediately after delivery,
or use high quality beef or pork roasts (it is cheaper and better to
cut up a whole roast than to buy stew meat).

1 stillbirth, de-boned and cubed
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 large onions
bell pepper