Old November 27th 04, 04:51 PM
James

Bill Turner wrote:
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 06:35:49 GMT, 'Doc wrote:

Will it be the
'best' possible antenna? Of course not, but it'll
certainly be adequate...
'Doc

More cost, less performance. Amazes me what some people think is
"adequate".

I'd lose the tuner and spend the money on more goodies for the boat.

Oh, well.

--
Bill W6WRT

How about adequate performance and convenience?

Ever been aboard an ocean going sail boat when the waves hit 5 meters
and the wind is howling like a freight train? If not you can't imagine
the fury. I've been there. It's exhilirating but not easy to endure. In
fact it's damned hard work. That is NOT the time to be playing with
knobs and switches trying to tune for a particular band. Believe me, I
will have more imporant things to do. But I do want to know that I can
tranmsit immediately if something terrible happens by just keying the
mic. No fuss.

No offence but I've always been intrigued watching amateur enthusiasts
wiggling knobs and waggling switches. Reminds me of a scene from the
wizard of oz for some reason. Seems so unnecessary in this day and age.

CONVENIENCE is a VERY good a reason as any to use a tuner. And they're
not all that costly either. A few hundred bucks at best.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jimmy

TX Distance question James Antenna 29 December 10th 04 02:22 AM
Stacking Distance Question. More Information ab5mm Antenna 8 June 5th 04 08:18 AM
Stupid question G5RV Ken Bessler Antenna 17 January 9th 04 12:06 PM
Distance to Link Coupling in a Loop Antenna Al Antenna 6 October 28th 03 12:02 AM
Question about attenuators ... Doug McLaren Antenna 2 August 31st 03 04:20 AM