Old November 26th 04, 03:14 PM
James

Default TX Distance question

Hi Folks

I have limited experience (ok almost none really) with respect to
Amateur Radio outside of the 2M band. However I just recently got my
code ticket & installed a radio on my sailboat. I am using a TS-50 with
an automatic tuner and a long copper wire to the top of the mast
(probably 50 feet or so long).

My ground plane/counterpoise consists of tying the ground to a large
aluminium area in the stern of the boat with a copper foil.

My very first contacts were established with 2 land stations on 14300 at
100W that were about 1000 miles away. They both reported that my signal
was good and that it sounded like I was "sitting right next to them". I
have no idea if this was a good distance, great, or mediocre.

I realize that propogation variables prevent anyone from giving a really
clear answer to this question, but in general, what sort of distance
should I expect to achieve? I'm trying to decide whether I need to
improve my antenna ground by adding a dynaplate (costly and requies the
boat to be taken from the water for installation) or whether the range I
am getting is decent.

Can anyone comment?

Thanks
Old November 26th 04, 04:59 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

James wrote:
[...]

Propagation will have a HUGE effect on your distance capability. Under
good conditions your station should be able to work any point on earth.
On the other hand, when the 14MHz band "goes out" (which at this point
in the sunspot cycle will happen pretty much every night) you'll be
lucky to work 30 miles.

I think the ground you describe should be more than adequate. (many
land-based mobiles settle for something MUCH, MUCH worse!)

You'll need lower frequencies for nighttime operation. 7MHz and 3.5MHz.
The antenna *may* (or may not) be too short for effective operation on
these bands. Try it, the worst that can happen is the automatic tuner
will refuse to make a match. (I think you'll probably be OK on 7, 3.5
may be a problem)

Good luck!
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old November 26th 04, 10:50 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Bill Turner" wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 10:14:46 -0500, James wrote:

I'm trying to decide whether I need to
improve my antenna ground by adding a dynaplate (costly and requies the
boat to be taken from the water for installation) or whether the range I
am getting is decent.

I'd say your system is working pretty well. 50 feet is too long for a
20 meter antenna, however. Your auto tuner is correcting for it, but a
shorter length will actually work better, since the auto tuner won't
have to introduce as much correction and therefore will have lower loss
in the tuner itself.

The vertical part of a ground plane antenna (which is what you have) can
be determined by the formula Feet=234/Freq, or for 14.3 MHz, 16.4 feet
(rounded off). The exact footage depends on variables in the immediate
environment, but that should be close enough. If you have to have a 50
foot overall wire because of the height of the boat's mast, just put an
egg insulator at the 16.4 foot length to break it up. For multiple
bands, figure the length of each section and put egg insulators where
needed, and then to change bands, just connect a jumper wire across
various eggs to get the correct length. Neat, huh? :-)

Also, you can't have too much ground area, within reason. More aluminum
foil or copper is always better.

If you have access to an SWR analyzer such as the MFJ 259, so much the
better. They are highly recommended for making and troubleshooting
antennas.

--
73, Bill W6WRT

Bill,

50 foot is only too long if you are sticking with the resonant length
situation. Which is not really necessary with his setup. In fact he
probably gets better versatility with the longer length. Just an opinion.

Dan/W4NTI

Old November 27th 04, 06:35 AM
'Doc

....Keep the 50 feet, use a tuner. Quit wasting good
'worry' on tuner losses, they don't amount to enough
to worry about. The 'additional' length (and that
tuner) gives you access to other bands. Will it be the
'best' possible antenna? Of course not, but it'll
certainly be adequate...
'Doc

Old November 27th 04, 01:10 PM
James

'Doc wrote:
...Keep the 50 feet, use a tuner. Quit wasting good
'worry' on tuner losses, they don't amount to enough
to worry about. The 'additional' length (and that
tuner) gives you access to other bands. Will it be the
'best' possible antenna? Of course not, but it'll
certainly be adequate...
'Doc

Thanks for the feedback folks. Doc is on the right track. THe tuner
works really well (way to go SGC, nice product!) and the antenna length
doesn't seem to be impeding transmission distance.

Furthermore, the length, although not electrically correct for all
frequencies, is convenient physically for a sail boat.

Glad to hear that the 1000 mile distance I attained was acceptable
performance. My actual planned use is for keeping in touch with other
vessels (friends) that are within a couple of thousand miles tops.
Hopefully it will do the trick.

Thanks for the feedback folks. Muuch appreciated.

Jimmy

Old November 27th 04, 03:22 PM
Tam/WB2TT

[...]

Exactly what I was going to suggest. This will be easy to do if you have a
pully on the top end so you can easily drop the wire to change the shorting
straps. With the 50 foot wire, I would be concerned about getting high angle
radiation on 10/15/20 metters. Dog bone insulators might put less capacitive

Tam/WB2TT

TX Distance question James Antenna 29 December 10th 04 02:22 AM
Stacking Distance Question. More Information ab5mm Antenna 8 June 5th 04 08:18 AM
Stupid question G5RV Ken Bessler Antenna 17 January 9th 04 12:06 PM
Distance to Link Coupling in a Loop Antenna Al Antenna 6 October 28th 03 12:02 AM
Question about attenuators ... Doug McLaren Antenna 2 August 31st 03 04:20 AM