Old December 9th 04, 03:40 PM
ronaug

Default question re GE Superadio III static

I recently bought a GE Superadio III for listening to talk radio on distant
stations. I've noticed that often when I turn it on in the morning, there
will be a good bit of static. Sometimes after c. 15-20 minutes, the static
will suddenly get very loud, then there is a loud pop, then the static
completely disappears and the sound is crystal clear. I have been unable to
link this to anything going on in the house, like an appliance being turned
off or anything like that.

Does anyone know what is happening, and if it's possible to induce the
static-pop-clear thing so that I don't have to wait 15-20 minutes for it to
happen? Or some other solution?

Thanks.

ronaug

Old December 10th 04, 03:55 PM
AB2RC

On 2004-12-09, ronaug wrote:
I recently bought a GE Superadio III for listening to talk radio on distant
stations. I've noticed that often when I turn it on in the morning, there
will be a good bit of static. Sometimes after c. 15-20 minutes, the static
will suddenly get very loud, then there is a loud pop, then the static
completely disappears and the sound is crystal clear. I have been unable to
link this to anything going on in the house, like an appliance being turned
off or anything like that.

First you need to find out if the problem is environmental, or something to
do with the radio. If the interference is envrionmental, then problem may
not be being created in your house, it could be at a neighbors.

Does the problem only occur in the morning?

If you left the radio off for an extended period then turned it on at night,
do you still have the interference?

If the static only occurs at certain times of day, look for something on a
timer, either at your house or in a nearby -- street lights cycling off
perhaps.

Try using the radio in a different location, away from your house -- if you
still have the problem, then it is most likely something to do with the radio.

Try leaving the radio on all night, with the volume turned all the way down.
Do you still have the interference when this happens -- if so, then the
problem is local and not internal to the radio.

--
Alex / AB2RC
Linux is user friendly, however it is not idiot friendly
Old December 10th 04, 03:55 PM
AB2RC

On 2004-12-09, ronaug wrote:
[...]

Noise and Loops Question Tony Angerame Antenna 4 August 24th 04 10:12 PM
Stacking Distance Question. More Information ab5mm Antenna 8 June 5th 04 08:18 AM
Road static? John Smith Antenna 19 January 11th 04 03:55 PM
Stupid question G5RV Ken Bessler Antenna 17 January 9th 04 12:06 PM
FM Reception Static Problem mBird Antenna 2 October 19th 03 03:41 PM